1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

New Old Garage Music Stuff

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by halfmile, Dec 5, 2019.

1. ThatXS650Guy

ThatXS650Guy More Sparky than Speed Racer XS650.com Supporter

SWMBO might object.

Jim and GLJ like this.
  2. GLJ

GLJ Never go faster than your guardian angle can fly. Top Contributor

Not sure what SWMBO means but I think it might be your present squeeze.:)

Jim likes this.
  3. azman857

azman857 '80 XS 650SG Rider Top Contributor

SWMBO = She Who Must Be Obeyed

59Tebo, GLJ, Mailman and 2 others like this.
  4. Beags64

Beags64 XS650 Junkie Top Contributor

Michigan
    Huh....I seem to recall cheap women & hot beer.:er:

5. Scripto VU

Scripto VU Dukes Speed and Custom

usa.
    Are't we all trying to catch a moment time with these bikes, music, clothing, culture- in essence a whole way of life? (gotta go looking for my pipe)

6. jetmechmarty

jetmechmarty XS650 Guru Top Contributor

Darn right! I think if I happen to live to the point my friends are all dead, I'll want to go, too.

gggGary and Mailman like this.
  7. kshansen

kshansen XS650 Junkie Top Contributor

Talk about old stereo equipment got me thinking of the Sansui 5000x that I have not touched in several years. Might have to hook it back up and see if it still works. Just for kicks I took a look on Ebay and they are going for $500. or more! Forget why I took it off line and hooked up the Realistic STA200A I more or less inherited from wife's dad when he past.

It's hooked to a Realistic SCT-21 cassette deck also from her dad. Also hooked to it is my old RadioShack turntable and the Akai GX4000D Reel to Reel deck all pushing out to Bose 2.2 speakers (would be hooked to Bose 501's but some SOB druggy ripped them off many years ago)!

gggGary, GLJ, Mailman and 2 others like this.
  8. 59Tebo

59Tebo 59Tebo Top Contributor

At this stage of the game, I'm not looking for the Fountain of Youth....
    I'll settle for the Fountain of Middle Age.... :laughing:

gggGary, kshansen, GLJ and 4 others like this.
  9. Scripto VU

Scripto VU Dukes Speed and Custom

usa.
    upload_2019-12-9_5-48-3.png

I am an avid vinyl collector. I do a fair amount of traveling and any time I can steal a quiet moment I stop at vinyl stores. I view myself as a pseudo cultural anthropologist via vinyl records. I feel vinyl music adds a distinct flavoring to your life. So many album covers exhibit amazing, lasting art . One of the best
    "hunting grounds" for vinyl is NYC, although in the whole city there are only about 15 quality vinyl stores. (Brooklyn has little shops that actually are pressing
    records in small batches again. 18 grams) I recently bought an album here: ( a quick, fun read, amazing history) .
    http://electricladystudios.com/,,, and
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_Lady_Studios

I could go on and on. I love to fire up my Marantz tube amp, and drop the needle on some old classics on my Bang and Olufsen turntable through my KEF studio monitors. (all XS650 , in my case TX650 A.. era equipment of course)

Cheers

TwoManyXS1Bs, Jim, GLJ and 2 others like this.
  10. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

I was talking to my wife the other day about old high end stereo equipment and records and how they are becoming popular again.
    She looked at me and asked “ Who would even want that old stuff?” I said, guys my age, the same guys that love old motorcycles and muscle cars. We all want the things we lusted after in our youth.
    By the way, my musical tastes are now stuck in the past. I don’t like anything newer than twenty years ago! :laugh2:

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  11. halfmile

halfmile XS Builder XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

kansas
    Ever wonder why the young TV commercial producers almost always use the "oldies" for their background music? It`s probably because the buying audience can relate to them. Maybe a happier time in their life?:D There are exceptions however like the other night when I heard the Righteous Brothers "Unchained Melody" as the background song for a KFC-Mrs Butterworth commercial. It was everything I could do not to Puke, Vomit, Throw Up, and Retch right there in my favorite chair. That song was a last dance "Seal the Deal" no brainer for guaranteed temporary companionship (sex) after the night club closed.:thumbsup: I mean what were they thinkin? Even the Col Sanders character Stunk Outloud.:poo:
    OK other than being permanently scared for life I`m almost over it now.:unsure:

12. TwoManyXS1Bs

TwoManyXS1Bs BBQ Hunter Top Contributor

I recall stepping into an elevator in Chicago, and the soothing "elevator music" was something Beatles, forbidden music when I was a kid...

13. geedubya

geedubya geedubya XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Yup I agree,

I used to work for a helicopter company in the Western Highlands of Papua New Guinea and they had two MIL 8 Russian helicopters and all of the radios had valves in them. "In Nuclear attack transistor...poof..valve still work USA think Russia very backward" this is what the pilots told me. They also told me that during the Cold War and the Space Race that the Americans could not get a ball point pen to work in zero gravity and spent a lot of money to invent something."Russian use pencil"

GeeDub

TwoManyXS1Bs, Mailman, GLJ and 3 others like this.
  14. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

Yeah, America can dazzle you with technology but the Russians will still be around after the next ice age!

1494F1FC-0F07-4E99-8705-6FBE2C6001FF.jpeg