New Old Garage Music Stuff

I dug my old vinyl out a few months ago and put needle to vinyl for the first time in 30 years. Hotel California followed by some Alan Parsons. I purchased some old school speakers and a Pioneer SX650 receiver so I could re-live my college days (except for the hot chicks, cheap beer and marijuana).

Talk about old stereo equipment got me thinking of the Sansui 5000x that I have not touched in several years. Might have to hook it back up and see if it still works. Just for kicks I took a look on Ebay and they are going for $500. or more! Forget why I took it off line and hooked up the Realistic STA200A I more or less inherited from wife's dad when he past.

It's hooked to a Realistic SCT-21 cassette deck also from her dad. Also hooked to it is my old RadioShack turntable and the Akai GX4000D Reel to Reel deck all pushing out to Bose 2.2 speakers (would be hooked to Bose 501's but some SOB druggy ripped them off many years ago)!

upload_2019-12-9_5-48-3.png

I am an avid vinyl collector. I do a fair amount of traveling and any time I can steal a quiet moment I stop at vinyl stores. I view myself as a pseudo cultural anthropologist via vinyl records. I feel vinyl music adds a distinct flavoring to your life. So many album covers exhibit amazing, lasting art . One of the best
"hunting grounds" for vinyl is NYC, although in the whole city there are only about 15 quality vinyl stores. (Brooklyn has little shops that actually are pressing
records in small batches again. 18 grams) I recently bought an album here: ( a quick, fun read, amazing history) .
http://electricladystudios.com/,,, and
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_Lady_Studios

I could go on and on. I love to fire up my Marantz tube amp, and drop the needle on some old classics on my Bang and Olufsen turntable through my KEF studio monitors. (all XS650 , in my case TX650 A.. era equipment of course)

Cheers

I was talking to my wife the other day about old high end stereo equipment and records and how they are becoming popular again.
She looked at me and asked “ Who would even want that old stuff?” I said, guys my age, the same guys that love old motorcycles and muscle cars. We all want the things we lusted after in our youth.
By the way, my musical tastes are now stuck in the past. I don’t like anything newer than twenty years ago! :laugh2:

Last edited:
Ever wonder why the young TV commercial producers almost always use the "oldies" for their background music? It`s probably because the buying audience can relate to them. Maybe a happier time in their life?:D There are exceptions however like the other night when I heard the Righteous Brothers "Unchained Melody" as the background song for a KFC-Mrs Butterworth commercial. It was everything I could do not to Puke, Vomit, Throw Up, and Retch right there in my favorite chair. That song was a last dance "Seal the Deal" no brainer for guaranteed temporary companionship (sex) after the night club closed.:thumbsup: I mean what were they thinkin? Even the Col Sanders character Stunk Outloud.:poo:
OK other than being permanently scared for life I`m almost over it now.:unsure:

After the end of the civilization as we know it (ya know? The great solar flare that fries the earth with a massive EM pulse?), nothing with a microchip will work. The survivors will have to rely on analog technology, and those who know anything about vacuum tubes, ignition points (you didn't throw away all that stuff you took out of your Xs when you went electronic, did you?), "click & bang" telephone switching equipment, and slide rules will be in great demand. That's one small step for man....a giant leap backwards for all mankind... :doh:

Yup I agree,

I used to work for a helicopter company in the Western Highlands of Papua New Guinea and they had two MIL 8 Russian helicopters and all of the radios had valves in them. "In Nuclear attack transistor...poof..valve still work USA think Russia very backward" this is what the pilots told me. They also told me that during the Cold War and the Space Race that the Americans could not get a ball point pen to work in zero gravity and spent a lot of money to invent something."Russian use pencil"

GeeDub

Back