New owner 82 xs650 heritage special.

You have a good combo of manuals. The Clymer Has a few mistakes so cross referencing between the two helps.
The Yamaha manual is based on you having lots of experence with the 650. The Clymer is geared more toward less experenced mechanics.
I have both. I find my self using both al the time.
Leo

Ok, So i pulled some stuff apart and I figured out there are way too many relays on this bastard. I have voltage at all 4 fuses. My coil primary resistance was at 4.2 ohm and the secondary resistance was 24k ohm. That seems a little off, could that be the issue?

Thanks

Keep going check the pickups for correct ohms at the plug found near the back of the engine. A little off but shouldn't cause NO spark.
never hurts to check plug caps. Are you checking spark with kick start or electric? A set of jumpers to a NOT RUNNING car truck or tractor might help if connections/ battery are sketchy.

As gggGary said the coils 4.2 ohms shouldn't be a no spark issue. It is wrong though. It should be 2.5 ohms +or- 10%. That coil with 4.2 ohms is a points coil. I don't know for sure just what it may do to the TCI box. I know a coil of lower ohms has a greater current draw and might overload the transister, a higher ohm coil having a lower current draw, I don't know.
Perhaps one of the people with more knowledge about that will chime in and tell us.
Try putting a jumper straight from the battery positive to the red/white wire at the coil. Leave the engine stop switch off and kick the engine with the kick start. This bypasses all the bikes relays, switch and wiring.
Leo

Ok, do you have a good diagram of which relay is which and what to cut out? I was having trouble deciphering between wire color and which relay is which. Also, for the sidestand relay you can just unplug it and that is it?

Ok, do you have a good diagram of which relay is which and what to cut out? I was having trouble deciphering between wire color and which relay is which. Also, for the sidestand relay you can just unplug it and that is it?

You can unplug it but you'll have to splice or make a small jumper to loop the two lines coming down to that splice block.....follow?

diagramsafetyrelays.jpg

I bypassed my starter safety relay by finding the r/w wire that comes down from the kill switch, bypassed the relay and spliced into the r/w wire that goes to the solenoid......I believe.....
This is all well and fine IF you remember some basics like don't take off with your sidestand down, don't hit the start button without the bike being in neutral OR having the clutch lever pulled. It is nice to be able to electric foot the bike while in gear during those rare occurances of the stall out in traffic.
Use at your own risk.

Ok thanks, it looks like this has already been done to the bike, that is why I couldnt find the relay. Makes sense now.

Ok, so I ran a jumper from the positive post of the battery to the red and white coil wire. No dice. Then, I realized that this bike has handle bars that the po custom made. I took a magnet too em and hey they are aluminum. So, doesnt current have to flow through the handle bars also? I took apart all of my connections and sprayed em really good with some electrical contact cleaner. Some of em had leaves and shit falling out of the connecters. Yeah, leaf crumbles. While that was happening I got sidetracked and sanded down the tank and threw some primer and a coat of flat green paint.

Aluminum conducts electricity just fine. your jumper would eliminate all that handlebar wiring as the issue anyways. Do you have a VOM (volt ohm meter)? You need one and they are dirt cheap, a $5.00 harbor fright one is fine. Have you ohmed out the pick ups yet? There are a bunch of threads on sorting the TCI ignition, search TCI for about a gazillion hits.

Here is a simple TCI wiring diagram, your 1982 has a 7th wire coming out of the TCI but it should not be connected to anything.

TCI wiring.png

Aluminum conducts electricity just fine. your jumper would eliminate all that handlebar wiring as the issue anyways. Do you have a VOM (volt ohm meter)? You need one and they are dirt cheap, a $5.00 harbor fright one is fine. Have you ohmed out the pick ups yet? There are a bunch of threads on sorting the TCI ignition, search TCI for about a gazillion hits.

Here is a simple TCI wiring diagram, your 1982 has a 7th wire coming out of the TCI but it should not be connected to anything.

View attachment 12786

Yup, I have a vom, and a test light. I will be replacing the fuse board today and ohm out the pickup coils and try again after all the connections are cleaned out.

Pickup coil ohmed out ok. It was at .7k ohms so 700 ohms which is dead nuts based on the yamaha manual. The sidestand switch looks pretty locked up. Which one is the relay for that? Also, would it be a good idea to just install a new kill switch and push button start? I will probably just make a box to mount them in out of some steel scrap. I am not even sure if the kill switch works.

You can remove the switch at the sidestand- and the wires up to the connector block. Then you have to connect the two remaining wires at the connector block together to complete the circuit or no startee.

They are blue/yellow and black. Just a 2 wire connector. But, this wont keep the bike from starting. It cuts the electric when you try to put it in gear.

Ok, so I thought about it and I am going to order the correct ignition coil. I looked on mikes xs. Should i get the pamco one for 69 or the stock replacement for 37? Will there be a noticable running distance. I figured the current coil I have has twice the resistance so that is about half the spark it should be getting. I don't want to keep fouling plugs and running terribly rich. Also it might just maybe cure my no spark issue. Havent had too much time to mess around with the bike with school finals. I cant wait till plant shutdown for christmas!

Back