New owner of XS650 (UK)

Flyingspanner

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Just purchased a 1972 XS650 in the UK from an ‘older gentleman’ who lost interest in the bike after buying it during Covid lockdown from a importer of US bikes - it is in very nice condition but has not run for 18 months due to a fuel issue which he said said been fixed, but he had not finished fitting back the carbs and air box’s.

looking forward to recommission the bike and riding it - I may keep it standard or do some non permanent upgrades

cheers from the UK

Attachments

• IMG_3214.jpeg
    IMG_3214.jpeg
    637.1 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_3215.jpeg
    IMG_3215.jpeg
    689 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_3218.jpeg
    IMG_3218.jpeg
    474.9 KB · Views: 70
Well, Hi Flyingspanner, welcome to the madhouse. May I venture that what you have there is not an XS650 but its venerable and very desirable XS2 predecessor , 1971-ish. You have definitely come to the right place to share your recommissioning, plenty of help and advice offered. Tell a little more about your self, biking history, mechanical experience, whatever. Watching, Raymond

Me again, just had another gander at the pictures, looking under the seat, kind of condition you just don't see with a 50-odd year old bike that's been in Blighty all that time. Bike looks in great condition.

Last edited:
Well, Hi Flyingspanner, welcome to the madhouse. May I venture that what you have there is not an XS650 but its venerable and very desirable XS2 predecessor , 1971-ish. You have definitely come to the right place to share your recommissioning, plenty of help and advice offered. Tell a little more about your self, biking history, mechanical experience, whatever. Watching, Raymond
Currently have 1 other bike which is my 2023 Triumph Scrambler 900 - a great bike for street riding around my local area Cheshire and the Peak District - recently retired so now have time for some projects, have had a few bikes over the last few years including several Honda Transalp’s (600 & 700) an XT660x and rebuilt a Royal Enfield 350 Model G - have also recently helped a friend with a few of his bike projects. Will start on the recommissioning this week 👍

Hi all

Just purchased a 1972 XS650 in the UK from an ‘older gentleman’ who lost interest in the bike after buying it during Covid lockdown from a importer of US bikes - it is in very nice condition but has not run for 18 months due to a fuel issue which he said said been fixed, but he had not finished fitting back the carbs and air box’s.

looking forward to recommission the bike and riding it - I may keep it standard or do some non permanent upgrades

cheers from the UK
Hello @Flyingspanner and welcome to the forum. Nice bike you have there and good enough to restore. Or add your reversible mods, get it running reliably and just enjoy it. I’m looking forward to following your progress.
Ads.

Last edited:
Welcome to this XS650 foolishness. Seems the Ohio owner took good care of the old girl, nice find.
Get accustomed to providing pictures with your questions/ enquiries. Even random pics of the bike are acceptable.😁

Thanks all - so today I recommissioned the bike, cleaned the carbs and tank, checked for spark and found only the L/H plug was sparking - no spark R/H side, checked the point and no spark either, traced the wiring back and found a dirty/dry bullet connection cleaned them all up and sprayed with electrical cleaner and with fresh fuel she started and ran great - 😊 a happy man tonight, not run on the road that will be the next test

If anyone in the UK has a battery box to air filter fitting going spare it’s the only part I can’t find ! - maybe it fell off when I towed the bike home ?
like this one buy L/H side 🙏

(I made a temporary bracket)

Attachments

• IMG_3229.jpeg
    IMG_3229.jpeg
    392.4 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_3225.jpeg
    IMG_3225.jpeg
    403 KB · Views: 33
Hi ,I'm on my second xs2 restoration at the moment ,just managed to get the brake pistons out last weekend they were really stuck ,bit too cold for me to spend much time in the garage so it's going to take a while .I'm in Lincolnshire BTW.

Attachments

• 20231009_151400.jpg
    20231009_151400.jpg
    484 KB · Views: 24
  • 20231009_151437.jpg
    20231009_151437.jpg
    457.4 KB · Views: 26
Yellowdog, FYI,
I have a cheap fleabay $25 master cylinder that came w/ the levers.
Put it on a post or even a broom handle/garden tool to give it structure and allow me to keep it upright.
I hook that up with a used brake hose to calipers I'm working on, then put in Brake fluid, Vacuum bleeder. then pump.
easy peasy. No reason to struggle with pulling the piston.

Looking good,
Hi ,I'm on my second xs2 restoration at the moment ,just managed to get the brake pistons out last weekend they were really stuck ,bit too cold for me to spend much time in the garage so it's going to take a while .I'm in Lincolnshire BTW.
Not looked at the brakes in detail yet, but they do work and are not binding at all which is a good news, - will change the pads/shoes when I remove the wheels for new tyres - good to know another Brit with a XS2 👍

Back