New Pamco ignition

NorazDad

NorazDad
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I thought I would share some thoughts regarding my Pamco experience. When I began my modifications to my '81H, I jumped on the bandwagon and bought a HHB PMA...then realized I'd have to install a new ignition system as a result. I was eager and enthused and I could afford it. So, I bought the Ulitmate Pamco EAdv kit from Mikes. This kit caused me some issues. The first was getting the bike running and timed. I posted on several threads that I had to eventually cut the mounting plate for the sensor to get the bike timed correctly. I did and the bike ran well afterward...or so I thought.
About a thousand miles into the new pamco, I experienced total ignition faliure only to find that the nut on the sensor end had sheared off the advance rod. While dealing with Mikes, they simply said it was my fault for over torquing the nut. Maybe so, probably so. I had to buy another advance rod. Bike ran great until I sheared off an exhaust valve and had to do a top end.
I bought the kit from Mikes and rebuilt the top end. New jug, pistons, rings, valves, seals, cam chain, guide and tensioner, etc. Everything looked great and fit great. Bike fired up first kick after install. Rode it another five hundred miles or so and then I experienced an ignition failure. I have a previous post on that.
It appears that the wires to the sensor on the pamco had frayed and shorted out. Ridiculously, I thought i could re solder the wires and all would be good. No such luck. I could not get the solder job to hold for more than a few miles at a time. I also could not purchase a new basic sensor to work with my EAdv,
I tried to contact Pete through PM, no luck. Email, no luck. So I just went to his web site and bought a whole new ignition kit. When I paid, I got instant attention and Pete and I emailed back and forth a few times to establish that he does indeed exist.
Got the kit and installed it. Whole new aluminum shaft with significant nut ends. No over torquing this time.
I was really interested if I was going to have the same plate issue as the last pamco. So I installed it as Pete suggests in a neutral position. After ensuring the advance knob was properly secured to the cam via the locator pin...this is a very important step...the bike fired right up.
I let it warm up so I could get it to idle at 1200 rpm, and sure enough, I only had to move the plate a couple of degrees to get it timed properly with the light.
Took it for a test ride, perfect. In fact, it really ran smoother than ever. Buttoned it up. It idles at 1200 all day. Amazing!
Moral of the story. Mikes has some good stuff, but not all of it is top rate. There was a problem with my first pamco unit which does not exist with this one. I think buying directly from Pete was what I should have done in the first place.
At this point, I kind of wish I had bought my rebuild kit from Gary Hoos.
Ok, so the bike is back up and running like never before. Winter is coming and it will be time to tinker a bit, but l am greatly relieved that I won't be tinkering with my ignition.
Hope this helps some of you when deciding where to buy your pamco.
Peace, All! Ride safely.
Rob

Good on you (finally) getting it sorted.
Great post, I'm sure it wasn't easy to write.
Forum searches before hitting the buy button. Don't know how many times I've regretted not following my own advice and how many times a search has changed my plans both on the XSexys and many other projects.

What I have learned over 10 years of running my XS650.

Avoid buying parts from Mikesxs and its Canadian counterpart. They sell low quality parts with many being unusable.
Pamcopete is a first class guy and his Pamco ignition with E-advance is a top notch product.
Always use a torque wrench on your bike, especially for the 6 mm size threads.

Unfortunately you fell victim to the PMA hyperbole, which then caused you to discard the TCI. The stock alternator is the best charging system for these bikes, and you should have kept using it.

Rob,
Great to hear that your bike is up-and-running, again.
I must say, you seem to have a super reserve of patience for "things going wrong"; others would have thrown in the towel a while back.
Happy riding :bike:

Those who know me know patience is not my strongest personality trait. But, my concept is that these bikes are a finite system and that all we have to do is keep all of the subsystems working and we are ready to ride. Finding the weaknesses and repairing them through troubleshooting, maintenance and repair is truly half the fun.
Without this forum, however, I'd have a roller in my garage gathering dust and not a phoenix that is constantly rising out of the ashes...figuratively speaking.
RG, I still have the old charging system and if the PMA ever fails, I will take your recommendation and reinstall it. In face, that would make a reat winter project to clean it and refresh the brushes, etc in preparation for a system failure.
Rob

Back