New Project

Ben Mccree

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
New member here so I thought I'd tell you about my xs. It's a 1972 standard bike that has been imported to UK from the US. It needs a bit of work to get it on the road and I am going to sprint it next year.
I can't afford to up the cc to 750, probably do that for 2011, but for now I'm going to lighten the frame as much as possible. Fit avon AM26 tyres. Fit a two into one exhaust manifold and muffler and some vm carbs. Also an electronic brandson ignition.
I did'nt realise how low the frames were on these bikes so I am going to lift it up a bit at the back with new springs and shocks.
Has any one else lifted one of these up?
Any other ideas please let me know. Thanks Ben:bike:

- you could also lower the front for a similar effect, using spacers fitted over the damper rod and shortening the springs a little

Welcome Ben,nice to see another Brit :thumbsup:
Travis...........Sprint racing is like drag racing over a 1/4 or 1/8 mile

On the Boyer ignition Ben, it might be worth looking at the Pamco ignitions, could save ya a few quid :)

Ahh! thanks for that.. This wikipedia quote best describes what I thought sprint racing was "Sprint car racing is a type of auto racing held in short ovals. In motorcycle racing and other auto racing disciplines, the term sprint race is used to describe a short race, for example one that lasts under 30 minutes."

I guess it took another Brit to explain the cultural and language differences. :D Also why raise the frame for drag racing? Wouldn't you want the whole thing low and long?

Ahh! thanks for that.. This wikipedia quote best describes what I thought sprint racing was "Sprint car racing is a type of auto racing held in short ovals. In motorcycle racing and other auto racing disciplines, the term sprint race is used to describe a short race, for example one that lasts under 30 minutes."

I guess it took another Brit to explain the cultural and language differences. :D Also why raise the frame for drag racing? Wouldn't you want the whole thing low and long?

Weight transfer. you want as much weight on the front end to avoid wheelies. I use to strap the front of my bike, and lean as far over the tank as possible when launching. Long is good though, I had a +6" extended swingarm.

Yes but for that same reason you'd want it low, not tall. The lower the bike and and the further forward the weight, the less likely to wheelie so raising the back wouldn't do you any good would it? It might slightly shift some weight to the front but also raise the center of gravity and probably more than offset any gains you made in shifting the weight forward..

Took a couple this morning. Glad you reminded me as it's always good to look back

Attachments

• Yamaha XS 650 001.jpg
    Yamaha XS 650 001.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 245
  • Yamaha XS 650 002.jpg
    Yamaha XS 650 002.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 241
  • 2009 TT 017.jpg
    2009 TT 017.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 264
I'll only be doing about 6 events a year and rest of the time I will be using it on the road, I want to lift it a little so I don't look out of place on it, 6' 1" tall you see.

Ben
I have no experience of the Pamco system but have only heard good things about it, I think inxs is running it & likes it.
Im still running the original TCI but will change to the Pamco when I can afford to.
Start here for information http://www.yamahaxs650.com/ on the Pamco

There is also a good thread by inxs on this site about the various other systems available. look under Tech, electrical, what ignitions are out there?

Im sure the guys here can give some feedback on what they are running :thumbsup:

inxs and others like the pamco because it's simple and will work with a wide range of voltages. I have a boyer and think that it's fine as long as you have a good battery and your charging system is working properly. If your voltage drops a couple of volts, the boyer will stop working and could leave you stranded. It’s not necessarily the boyer ignition’s problem, but other ignitions will still work with a weak charging system. A lot of things could break on a bike and leave you stranded so I don't worry about it too much. And if your voltage is below 10 volts, something else needs fixing anyway. The pamco uses the original centrifugal advance and basically just replaces the points with a magnetic pickup.

Back