For Sale - NEW "replacement" clutch adjuster cover $6

DogBunny

Motorcychologist
Top Contributor
Reaction score
DSC01642.jpg

DSC01641.jpg

I've wondered about these snap-in caps from McMaster-Carr for years, so I finally bought a box of them. They work great and look nice -- the pics below really don't do them justice. They differ from the originals as follows:
The finish is matte nickel-plated steel instead of chrome. Great candidates for paint.
They sit pretty much flush -- the originals sit about 3/16" proud.
$6 shipped with tracking. Make PayPal payment "To A Friend" to:
william@handspiral.com
and be sure to PM me your address.

DSC01660.jpg

DSC01652.jpg

Are they made of a material that could be buffed to a luster?
DSC01669.jpg

They are made of nickel-plated steel and are quite attractive as is.
LEFT: as they come from the factory.
MIDDLE: machine polished with brown Tripoli. The surface is very finely textured, so polishing compounds alone will not result in a perfect mirror finish, but it is much brighter. The nickel-plating is still good.
RIGHT: I removed the texture with silicon carbide sandpaper, then machine cut with Black carborundum, then machine polished with white rouge. The nickel plating is now gone, leaving plain steel. So a mirror finish is achievable, but it will need to be protected with clear-coat.

Yes, I had to buy a whole box, so I still have about 15 available as of right now.

By the way -- I didn't mention this before because I'm sure everyone can figure it out for themselves, but the prongs have to be bent out just a bit. I've been bending out every-other prong about about 1/4" -- easy to do with your fingers -- for a very secure fit.

Hi there: Are you also selling the transparent point cover? If not, is it a DIY project that I can undertake? Appreciate your input. Many thanks!

Thanks Pete. I can only take credit for taking a chance on them to see if they would work.
Originally I was just looking for an inexpensive substitute. It seems that half the XS650s that pass through my hands have dented or missing covers.
But, they have grown on me. An argument could be made that the flush fit of them looks better than the originals.

Back