New tail lamps cost a man $5600 😬

Does this guy look pissed off?
AL Bundy.jpg

Owner to insurance company I have a tail light out, is that covered?
Insurance Co. yup we're going to total the truck.
gggGary drills a hole in the lens to let the water out, done. That'll be $5, cash.

Popular topic.
I am a bit of a Luddite when it comes to cars (motorcycles too). My 4-wheeled vehicle is a 1980 ElCamino. I once borrowed my friend's wife's car. It took me 15 minutes to figure out how to start it.

To me, all modern cars and trucks look exactly the same.

https://www.elcaminocentral.com/threads/selling-66-el-camino.256630/
For 15K you can buy a totally sorted out 66 El Camino, and have something that doesn't look like every other vehicle on the road. That you could fix yourself. You could buy a less sought-after but equally sorted-out classic for the price of the repair in the original thread starter.

Owner to insurance company I have a tail light out, is that covered?
Insurance Co. yup we're going to total the truck.
gggGary drills a hole in the lens to let the water out, done. That'll be $5, cash.

That’s no joke. I’ve heard of guys who own high end sport bikes having their bikes totaled because of a tip over in the driveway damaging their pricey bodywork.
Back to the tail lamps on that Ford. I think I’d be doing some junk yard / EBay used parts shopping before coughing up thousands of dollars. I’ve done that sort of thing before, once when a mirror got sideswiped on our Honda, I replaced it with a non OEM unit and installed it myself, saving a ton of money.
And the time the headlamps needed replacing on my wife’s Toyota. I saved a ton of money by buying aftermarket, instead of Factory parts and learning how to do the job myself. It was a ridiculous amount of work….but I figured it out.
IMG_6197.jpegIMG_6198.jpegIMG_6199.jpegIMG_6200.jpeg

And once when pulling too close to a curb, the plastic hubcap on our new Toyota was crunched. I bought an entire set of new ones that someone had removed to replace with mag wheels. That whole set was way cheaper than just one replacement from the dealer.

You just gotta do the legwork, do some online searching, and try and do your own work, even if it means learning how to do it.

We used to run a fleet of them where I work, I think I eventually did the pushbutton thing on all of them, works ok until someone holds the button down too long. I really. hate changing glow plugs. Nowadays, it's a fleet of Dodge pickups with Cummins diesels, a really nice six cylinder diesel engine wrapped in toilet paper.
Ironically, the glow plug controller stayed on, burning up the plugs, which is why it was bypassed. No one drives it but me and I don't drive barefoot so I only have 10 digets to count therefore the plugs are safe. The newer diesels are great, but when something goes wrong, bring your wallet.

Last edited:
Never mess with a man who drives a Dodge…..

He’s pissed off 😡 already!
Guess I'm lucky I retired a few years back because from what I see the company has changed to buying Dodges after using Fords for around 30 years. Then again some of the last Fords I had to deal with were not like the ones when they used the 300 inline sixes, had them from mid 1960's till mid 1990's. Try as some would I don't recall one ever really failing. Even had one where it lost oil pressure, dropped pan to replace oil pump and found the "oil" to be only slightly thinner than axle grease. This was the truck used by the "computer nerd" guess he never heard of oil changes! As I recall Norm put in the new pump as we had already bought it, cleaned most of the gunk out of the pan and engine and sent it on the way.

Popular topic.
I am a bit of a Luddite when it comes to cars (motorcycles too). My 4-wheeled vehicle is a 1980 ElCamino. I once borrowed my friend's wife's car. It took me 15 minutes to figure out how to start it.

To me, all modern cars and trucks look exactly the same.

https://www.elcaminocentral.com/threads/selling-66-el-camino.256630/
For 15K you can buy a totally sorted out 66 El Camino, and have something that doesn't look like every other vehicle on the road. That you could fix yourself. You could buy a less sought-after but equally sorted-out classic for the price of the repair in the original thread starter.
Wish that was easy to do here in snow country, Central NY!

To get my little 2006 Ford Ranger I had to travel down to just a few miles from the White House! Like I said it is a very basic model even has rubber floor mats and the small cab and 70,000 miles on it. About the only "options" are it does have are AC and a radio with CD player! One of the first things I did was get it under coated with Rust Check at the suggestion of a guy I grew up with who has run his own body shop for around 30 years. Just hope they don't stop selling gasoline before I'm too old to drive it!

Wish that was easy to do here in snow country, Central NY!

To get my little 2006 Ford Ranger I had to travel down to just a few miles from the White House! Like I said it is a very basic model even has rubber floor mats and the small cab and 70,000 miles on it. About the only "options" are it does have are AC and a radio with CD player! One of the first things I did was get it under coated with Rust Check at the suggestion of a guy I grew up with who has run his own body shop for around 30 years. Just hope they don't stop selling gasoline before I'm too old to drive it!
Yes. I would never buy a Rust Belt car.

Guess I'm lucky I retired a few years back because from what I see the company has changed to buying Dodges after using Fords for around 30 years. Then again some of the last Fords I had to deal with were not like the ones when they used the 300 inline sixes, had them from mid 1960's till mid 1990's. Try as some would I don't recall one ever really failing. Even had one where it lost oil pressure, dropped pan to replace oil pump and found the "oil" to be only slightly thinner than axle grease. This was the truck used by the "computer nerd" guess he never heard of oil changes! As I recall Norm put in the new pump as we had already bought it, cleaned most of the gunk out of the pan and engine and sent it on the way.
300's were almost indestructible. IMHO, it was a superior motor in a truck than a 302/5.0 due to its bottom end grunt.

Kinda like the tail light; Buell Uly uses a valve in the muffler, derestricts it at WFO and high RPM, plastic gears were stripped in the stock actuator, it's NLA and the last ones were going for well over $400. But Eric swiped the part from Ford's parts bins, a bit of fleabay'n, weld the pulley from the Buell to the Ford part's shaft, back in business. It's like vacuum secondarys about 4K muh-WAHHH the muffler opens and away you go!
1693951626959.png

KIMG4510.JPG

exhaust working diagram.jpg

300's were almost indestructible. IMHO, it was a superior motor in a truck than a 302/5.0 due to its bottom end grunt.
Agree on the 300's if they held up to the abuse they got at the quarry they should handle anything. Most of these trucks were first used by bosses as a company truck before getting sent to the plant for running around hauling just about anything guys could pile in them. If I was lucky and had the free time they would get oil and filters changed once a year.

Don’t get me started on the 300. I pulled a truck out of a hay barn in west Texas that had sat there for 3 years. Put jumper cables on it to see if it would spin and it started. I drove that truck another 150k.

Don’t get me started on the 300. I pulled a truck out of a hay barn in west Texas that had sat there for 3 years. Put jumper cables on it to see if it would spin and it started. I drove that truck another 150k.
Ever heard one with 11:1 compression, a lumpy cam, Clifford 6=8 intake 650 Holley and headers with open exhaust? Back in the early to mid 70's, they were very popular on the 1/2 mile clay ovals in this area for Limited Sportsman racing. A truly beautiful sound.

Last edited:

I had an old 1960 Chevy step side pick up with a 235 six and a granny low 4 speed. It sure wasn’t fast but it would just plow all day like a tractor.

Later I always wanted a mid 80’s Ford step side with a 300 six and a four speed tranny.
IMG_9249.jpegIMG_6201.jpeg
I think they are very good looking, and it seems like a newer, improved version of my old truck. And that 300 is legendary!

Last edited:
I had an old 1960 Chevy step side pick up with a 235 six and a granny low 4 speed. It sure wasn’t fast but it would just plow all day like a farm tractor.

Later I always wanted a mid 80’s Ford step side with a 300 six and a four speed tranny.
View attachment 250896
I think they are very good looking, and it seems like a newer, improved version of my old truck. And that 300 is legendary!
I learned to drive in a '62 Chevy P.U. with a 235. I'm still mad at my dad for selling it and he's been gone for 24 years.

I had an old 1960 Chevy step side pick up with a 235 six and a granny low 4 speed. It sure wasn’t fast but it would just plow all day like a farm tractor.

View attachment 250896
My next door neighbor just bought a 300, 4sp O.D. 4x4 out of Tennessee from the original owners family. Very original and in very good condition. He loves it.

Back