New to bikes

Paul II

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I bought a XS-1 (I think) from a a guy off of Craigslist. I've wanted to get into riding and working on bikes for a while, but never had the money. Saw this for $550, and I jumped on the opportunity. That being said, I really don't know anything about getting started. I can say that the bike has sat for about 20-25 years, but the guy I bought it from kept in in good condition. Does anyone have advice on where to start taking it apart? I did buy a owner's workshop manual for it, and I've got some tools to work with, but I'll take any advice I can get my hands on for what to do next.

He it is. Let me know if you need to see anything in particular.

Attachments

• 16248136875507251812249638886839.jpg
    16248136875507251812249638886839.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 235
Nice score! We have some members with those early models restored and right off the bat yours looks in better condition than some that are now head turners. Hopefully they'll chime in here soon.
I was looking for the tech link of waking up an old bike or the New to you bike thread.....can't seem to find it.
Take some time and peruse the tech section, give this thread a chance to bake. Again, nice score!

Oh my, a real survivor, lol. I think there's a new-to-you bike check list in the tech section but pretty much, you'll need to go through about everything, lol. I start at the tail light and work my way up into the headlight, cleaning all the wiring and connections, and fixing any rubbed bare wires. These bikes vibrate quite a bit so it's not uncommon to find a few wires rubbed bare. Then the carbs will probably need a cleaning. After that, if the motor isn't stuck and turns over OK, you might be able to try and start it.

I guess the first decision is if you want a Rat Bike, concourse or something in between.
If it were mine then I would start with getting the engine working; if that's Donald Ducked then the rest of the machine becomes a big foot powered scooter.
Depending on what you find will guide what needs to be done.
Start with the basics - does it turn over, what compression does it have? Drain the oil and see what condition it is in and does anything come out with it.
Replace the spark plugs, check valve clearances, contact breaker condition, check ignition timing, cam chain adjustment, clean or replace the air filter.
Strip the carbs, clean and assess what rectification is required. If badly gummed up then you may need to ultrasonic clean them.
I would then move onto the electrics. Have a wiring diagram to hand and systematically work through the systems; check off on the diagram which bits you have done. Look out for any signs of a butchered loom which should ring alarm bells. You'll probably realise quickly if the loom is serviceable or if it would be better to start with a fresh one. Where possible clean and check the components attached to the loom.

Engine OK, loom and electrics OK? If you have a header tank then now might be the time to see if any life can be induced into the motor.
Check the inside of the fuel tank for signs of corrosion and take appropriate action.

Assuming all of the above has gone well then it's time to turn your attention to the cycle parts and work through them.

And most importantly, always have a note book to hand so that you can record the 'to do' list and those random thoughts that come to mind as you work.

First off what are your intentions for it?
It does have all the signs for being an XS1 so making changes, anything other than a restore or "survivor" type conservation, you would want to consider selling it to someone that wants to do a restore, and use the funds to buy a later bike as a basis for your vision of a custom bike.
Later bikes have much better parts availability, and are generally more reliable, durable.
I have a buddy with a trailer in South Dakota RIGHT NOW and I would pay you to buy that bike AS IS.
I'll be blunt unless you have fairly high mechanics skills, anything you do in a fix and learn type manner will DECREASE the value of that bike.
gggGary thoughtfully

Guess getting some idea of your skills might help get good advice. I mean have you ever taken an old Briggs and Stratton motor apart and got it running again? How about a Cummins KT1150?That last one is a trick question to see how old you might be, KT1150 latter became a KT19!

If this is the first mechanical thing you have worked on you might have a steep learning curve!

A thought; if that paint was just sprayed over the original (it does happen) lot's of time, patience and acetone might get you back down to the factory paint for "survivor bike" patina. They are only original once. ;^)
More pictures would be awesome!

Last edited:
A thought; if that paint was just sprayed over the original (it does happen) lot's of time, patience and acetone might get you back down to the factory paint for "survivor bike" patina. They are only original once. ;^)
More pictures would be awesome!
Did you want any particular area's picture? I do believe the previous owner did paint over the original color. I was thinking about just buying tge original color and applying it after sandblasting the tank and other colored areas. Would that be a bad idea? Also, I belive tye previous owner did something to the muffler, and I was just gonna buy a replacement for ot, as I'd want it to be as original as possible.

Get it out in good light, shoot a series, whole bike shots from all angles, then details of everything. You CANNOT have too many pics of a bike when you first got it, before work commences. I use those type pics all the time. The mikesXS repop mufflers are good at about $350 the pair. Yamahaxs650.com has factory style early headpipes. But first glance yours look good. Be sure to check about any MikesXS parts before purchase, there are some good and some not so much...
Found hiding under rattle can black on a bike I drove to North Dakota to buy.
DSCN0447 (1).JPG
Green is XS1, yellow/gold is XS1-B.

Would be nice to see this shot.
xs1 the start 002.JPG
or better a close up of that side of the motor, especially the LH cover and just behind the cylinders.
Does the motor number match the frame. motor number found below RH cylinder, in front of where the tach cable exits.

I'll be able to post some pics a little later. Do you have experience working on the xs-1 Gary? I'm leaning towards keeping it, but I want to make sure the work I do on it is as close to factory perfect as I can do.

I like the way you think!
Yeah I've been around early bikes a bit.
Put 3 thousand + miles on this in the last year.
DSCN0623.JPG
Truth; it was a "mostly done, semi correct" project when I got it.
Read the mailman's XS2 restoration thread it's as close to an XS restoration guide as can be found, most things there aside from the front brake and electric start apply to the XS1.

That bike looks in fantastic shape.

if it were mine, I’d do all I could to get that tank back to factor color and find a good original seat cover and clean the heck out of it. They are only original once. You may not fully understand what you got (for pretty much free) but really be patient and meticulous. Depending on your skill level and time, months , maybe a year(s) if it needs serious motor work.

Back