New to me 1977 XS650

Like many of us on the forum, I had an XS650 back in the 1970's when they were reasonably "modern" bikes and while I really liked my '75 and put a large number of miles on it, I don't recall having such a strong attachment to it. But now, I just enjoy my XS650s so much and they are certainly my favourite mounts.

Perhaps it is we who have changed and not the bikes.....a little older, a little slower and a little wiser. Maybe we have finally caught up with our bikes.

In any event, it is really hard to beat an XS650 for just "riding around in the breeze" as the Traveling Wilburys would say in their song "End of the Line"...

[Chorus 1: George Harrison]
Well it's all right, riding around in the breeze
Well it's all right, if you live the life you please
Well it's all right, doing the best you can
Well it's all right, as long as you lend a hand

[Verse 1: Tom Petty]
You can sit around and wait for the phone to ring
Waiting for someone to tell you everything
Sit around and wonder what tomorrow will bring
Maybe a diamond ring...

[Chorus 2: Jeff Lynne]
Well it's all right, even if they say you're wrong
Well it's all right, sometimes you gotta be strong
Well it's all right, as long as you got somewhere to lay
Well it's all right, everyday is Judgement Day

[Verse 2: Tom Petty]
Maybe somewhere down the road away
You'll think of me, and wonder where I am these days
Maybe somewhere down the road when somebody plays
Purple haze

[Chorus 3: Roy Orbison]
Well it's all right, even when push comes to shove
Well it's all right, if you got someone to love
Well it's all right, everything'll work out fine
Well it's all right, we're going to the end of the line

Last edited:
Cool! What are your plans?
I want to change the exhaust for sure - way too loud with those straight pipes. I have an assortment of parts and have decided to take the insurance off the 1974 TX650 and strip it of parts and sell the frame with the title. I will still have lots of parts left over for the 1972 XS-2 650 project bike and have a spare engine.

Yes, straight pipes are pretty silly, obnoxiously loud and don't help performance at all. I'd ditch the drag bars too. On the "silly" list, they're #2 right under straight pipes, lol. Lower than stock bars yes, but not that low. My personal preference is the Euro bar. Very comfortable and I think they just look "right" on a bike .....

j5505gZ.jpg

Back