New to me 81. High idle. Popping exhaust. Red hot pipes.

MattBlack32

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. This is my first post. Wish it was under better circumstances but I'm chasin a problem I can't figure out.
I picked up my 81 last summer and rode it a bit but it never ran right and I had to kick the living hell out of it to get it to start. Electric start is intermittent??? Least of my worries. Bike had been sitting for at least a year or longer. All in all not in too bad of shape.
So I figured this year I'd get an early start and really go thru this thing so I could ride it and not worry about if I was getting home. Here's where I'm at:
Adjusted cam chain tensioner (didn't need it, was fine)
Change oil
New plugs (NGKs)
New fuel filter
Adjust valve clearance (again not bad)
Pulled carbs for a general checking over. Synced butterflies. Looked pretty clean inside. Reset mixture screws 3 turns out (one was somewhere near there the other was all the way out) assuming to compensate for something else.

Kicked right over. Decent idle smoothed out. Didn't die. No smell of unspent fuel.
Left side exhaust air felt good hot and hit kind of hard like a pow pow pow pow.
Right side exhaust air felt noticeably cooler and had more of a smooth put put put put with a few intermittent pops.
So I figured huge improvement. Try more tomorrow.

Go out tonight with a can of carb cleaner figure maybe I got an air leak. Bikes kicks right over. Idle shoots up to 3500rpm and pipes are glowing red hot in under 2 minutes. Both sides. Throttle was stuck. Backed the idle screw out didn't help. Shut it down quick.

Most I can tell I have a major air leak. Running mega lean??? What gets me is why the change from one night to the other???

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Carbs sitting for awhile with old gas need to be gone through and cleaned. Check your float height while your at it.

You have an air leak on the intake side. Carefully spray carb cleaner around intake areas and when you find the right spot or spots the idle will come down. That is the location of your leak.

Back