New to me '81 Yamaha XS650 Special II

BlackXS650

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone, greetings from Sydney, Australia!

I've just pulled the trigger and bought an '81 XS650 Heritage Special which I just got home. Needless to say, I'm thrilled with the bike. I haven't been able to get up close and spend time with the bike but from the close-ups I've had, she seems quite well kept.

The history I have on the bike is she was imported from the US into Australia by a dealer, who was then purchased by its PO 6 years ago. It wasn't ever registered and due to the PO's health, sat in his garage for the entire time. That part checks out as it still has the new tire lines on the tires.

The odo reads 4,501 miles - which I find quite impossible, but the bike has zero rust or any funny looking markings on it so, I'm hopeful it's low mileage at the very least :)

She will be the sister bike to my XS750 and will be kept as stock as possible. Next up for her is a thorough service, fluid change and diagnostic. Plans are to do summer riding with the girlfriend.

Hoping to contribute to this wonderful forum, and learn as much as I can from you all :)

Photo-20-9-20-2-24-31-pm.jpg

Cheers,
Matt

Hi Matt, welcome to the forum.

Looks like you found yourself a great bike and it may well have only done those miles. I'll just sound a caution on the tyres though - they might be unworn but at that age you're better to change them. Over time, rubber goes hard and loses grip.

And I guess in Sydney you're just about to say Hello to summer? Have fun.

Thanks for the kind words guys :)

@mikesim - Thank you, that gives me some hope that it hasn't had the odo meddled with :)

@Raymond - Yes indeed, I'm looking forward to doing plenty of summer riding once she's had a freshen up :)

@BlackXS650, your bike appears to be a 1981 XS650H or Special II. Those Heritage Special side covers are off a '82 0r '83 Heritage. The black instrument cans are Special II correct. Your speedometer should indicate to 85 mph with a red band from 55 mph. If you have that, there's a better possibility that it's original. Your headlight bucket was also originally black, or should have been. The original bars pulled straight back toward you. Even your mirrors and grips look original to me. It would be tough to find one better than that.

Here's another mostly original '81 Special II for compare.
650-jpg.16425

Heritage Specials had black painted carburetors as well.

Thank you all for the wonderful advice/welcome :)

@jetmechmarty - thank you for the excellent reference picture. To your point, I took a photo of the Speedo:

Photo-20-9-20-2-08-31-pm.jpg

I've found the VIN which is JYA4N900 7 BA015076 which will help identify the bike, if I'm reading the VIN charts is an '81 HS - could someone please confirm?

The engine casings match the VIN also, so that helps :)

Welcome BlackXS650.............Vin 4N9-015076.......... 81H, Chrome grab bar is a one model/year thing......(81SH has mag wheels and alloy grab bar).......Barrels and rocker cover were blacked on the 81's and it fades over time, with yours looking a good colour it would also indicate a low mileage bike.

Looks original to me as well. Headlight bucket has been changed to chrome instead of black......
4n9_Special  II.jpg 4n9_Special 2.jpg 1981 xs650 special 008.JPG 1981 xs650 special 007.JPG

Thought I might turn this into a running project thread :D

Main objective is to clean, restore, maintain and repair and replace parts as they're identified. I've had a little more time with her during the week and today I detailed the rims, which came up better than I expected :rock:

Attachments

• Front Wheel.png
    Front Wheel.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 210
  • Rear Wheel.png
    Rear Wheel.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 177
Some parts/consumables that I've got already:

Oil filter
Oil Sump filter + gasket
Chain
New exhaust head gaskets (LH has a minor leak)
Air filter
New tires
Brake fluid

Should be done in the coming week or two! I'll post progress in here :)

Matt, I have wheel envy. It's my fault that when I bought an XS, and I still can't answer the question of why I did buy an XS, I didn't think long and hard and do the research and see what models there are and consider what I should buy.

So I have ended up with a bike with cast wheels. If practical, would swap them for ones like yours. Really love the rear with drum brake.

Hey guys, long time, no post! A bit of an update from me:

After a thorough service, new chain and a new Delkevic exhaust (the original was unfortunately rusted out) I've been enjoying riding this magnificent machine. The comfort is addictive! The next step is getting the side covers repainted, showing the correct model instead of Heritage Special.

I absolutely love this bike.

DSC_0555.jpg

Great looking bike. I can't tell if the bars are replaced or not. Palms down is much more comfortable than palms to the side. I put similar height but different shape bars from a CB750 on mine. How is your XS750? There are at least two very different models of it. One looks a lot like the 650, and the other looks very different, squarish tank, etc.

Great looking bike. I can't tell if the bars are replaced or not. Palms down is much more comfortable than palms to the side. I put similar height but different shape bars from a CB750 on mine. How is your XS750? There are at least two very different models of it. One looks a lot like the 650, and the other looks very different, squarish tank, etc.

Thank you @xjwmx - The bars are standard as far as I can tell from reference photos.

My XS750 is a cafe racer rebuild so I can't really compare the two. You are correct though, there's two tank shapes:

1. Square shape tank on the D/2D models
2. Tear drop shape on the E/SE models

Your bars are high ones for sure, but I don't think they're the originals. The originals have a slightly different bend, they stick straight back more and don't angle out to the sides as much as yours .....

uwCi3oS.jpg

If you really want to totally transform the look and feel of the bike, slap a set of Euro bend bars on it .....

7zJUwvH.jpg

Back