New to the forum and thought I would share my build.

swimrdie46

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
The turd I brought home.
IMG_0133.jpg

IMG_0132.jpg

Here it is just thrown together for a look at what it will be like later. It's filled with stuff from an 03 R6. Forks/trees, rear shock, foot controls and brakes. The wheels are from a supermoto WR450.

IMG_0194.jpg

IMG_0195.jpg

Nice! What are your plans for seat and bars. Please go cafe,tracker or performance restomod! There are plenty of chopper/boober's out there it seems. But then I guess it is your nickel:thumbsup:

Here it is just thrown together for a look at what it will be like later. It's filled with stuff from an 03 R6. Forks/trees, rear shock, foot controls and brakes. The wheels are from a supermoto WR450.

IMG_0194.jpg

IMG_0195.jpg

Swim,
Hi welcome to the site, I am currently converting my 1980G XS650 to a flat tracker.

I am fitting the R6 forks and twin blue spot rotors/calipers but keeping my 19" maG WHEEL.

I am looking at your bike and i cannot tell if you have used the R6 Yokes/trees or had a new set fabricated.

Cheers Leslie

Last edited:
I'm using the R6 trees. The bearings aren't even close to the same so I ordered a set of tapered bearings to fit the trees and I'm making a new neck. The stock neck is crap anyway. The bottom race is .5mm bigger than the top. That's not a big deal with the old balls but when my knee is buried in the pavement I want a tight neck.

It's going to be a cafe with modern suspension. I have a Harley already I don't need to waste a perfectly good bike to build a bobber. Sorry, XS bobber guys.

I'm using the R6 trees. The bearings aren't even close to the same so I ordered a set of tapered bearings to fit the trees and I'm making a new neck. The stock neck is crap anyway. The bottom race is .5mm bigger than the top. That's not a big deal with the old balls but when my knee is buried in the pavement I want a tight neck.

It's going to be a cafe with modern suspension. I have a Harley already I don't need to waste a perfectly good bike to build a bobber. Sorry, XS bobber guys.

Cheers Swim,
Thanks for that mate.

Leslie

Awesome start man, love the direction you're going with this.

One thing you'll have to do is come up with a MUCH smaller rear sprocket. These bikes are geared pretty low, and anything like a 42t sprocket will max you out around 45mph :)

How are you going to setup the rear suspension?

I'm just bracing the stock swing arm and the rear shock will sit a couple of degrees shallower than it is in the pic. If I match the R6 geometry exactly I will have to extend the swing arm by 4in.

I'm planning on putting in the taller 5th gear. Whats a good rear sprocket size for one of these to go about 110-120mph.

This whole 30tooth rear thing has got me down. The cush drive on my new wheel is bigger than the 34tooth XS sprocket I have now. I don't want to run a jack shaft with gear reduction so it looks like I will have to have a new cush drive made...

Back