New to the site

cathouse willy

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello all Let me introduce myself I'm a previous owner of an xs650 and I'd like to have another.Before I jump in I'd like to ask about parts. Are they available? Are there any hard to find parts that could keep you off the road? I have looked at a 77 with low miles and in very nice good running shape.At $3500 cdn the price is quite high for a 34 year old bike,although there are cheaper ones that need lot's of work I'd rather ride than wrench. I'm in the Vancouver BC area.Any help is welcome.
Thanks
Bill

Welcome onboard.
Parts are easy to get, just about anything you could think of. I have to agree on the pricing though, I'm in Ontario, and I find the pricing getting out of hand. They're getting as expensive as the Brit bikes.

parts are easy and relatively cheap to come by (try rebuilding a cb750 at the same price). i garuantee you even that $3500 xs650 is gonna need its fair share of work. if you're worried about wrenching a 30+ year old bike might be the wrong avenue for you. with that being said, they are very enjoyable and easy bikes to work on with amazing parts availability.

welcome to the site

Thanks for the replies Travis those links are good to know and Dogger you're right these bikes are getting harder to find and more expensive. Consider $8000 or so for a late model used Triumph or 5 to 6k for a 70's model and this is not that bad. Edited to add a question. Here's a pic of the right case... What is the outboard contraption??
10_I.jpeg
Bill

I'd never have guessed.Is this a permanent mod or could it be made original. Looking at bikes "across the line" is tempting cept my "papers are not in order" to cross the border.So I have to shop this side of the border

No alterations to the engine or parts you can go right back to stock. Don't care for the looks? I don't either, I like the paper filter but not the "finned cap for some reason.

Welcome to the site. That filter/cooler is a good addition to these bikes. I have one on my bike so that I have real filtering rather than the stock "strainer".

At $3500, the bike should be in excellent running condition.
It should have:
-compression 135 psi or better
-spark plugs should be tan to grey colour
-charging voltage 13.5 at idle........14.5 at 3000 rpm
-no sign of leakage from front fork seals
-it should start easily and reliably
-brake pads that are not worn out
-tires should have a safe amount of tread
-headlight, brake light/tail light, turn signals should all be working
-speedo and tach working normally
-no rust inside tank

If many of the above are absent, then the price should be down between $1500 and $2000

Thank you all for your replies I'm going to have a serious look on tuesday

1_I.jpeg

I've seen the bike at this shop some time ago so maybe they'll be open to an offer.When you consider a ride this old wrenching is mandatory, I'm not up to a basket case bargain.Retiredguy your list a good guide,theres a few important things on there that I'd not thought of.
Cheers
Bill

That bike looks super nice in the photo. For that asking price, the shop should not mind pulling the plugs so you can view them..................ask for a compression test.............ask them to put a voltmeter on the battery as they rev the engine.

cathouse willy welcome to the site!
RG always gives sage advise.
As far as pricing. The different models of production have their own prices.
After the XS1 and 2, the 77 probably demands the highest being thought of as the apex of modeling. The improvements in frame and motor yet no interference from the epa yet.
Myself I prefer the 79 F as it was the last of the standards/roadsters.

Now what I see is a well taken care of bike. Overall the bike is in excellent condition(based on one look at one picture). Not only is good looking but someone who cared had it. Based on the flitration improvement.
Yes mechanical things fail. Some after a time, some sooner. But these can be fixed with a moderately outfitted garage at home. Not true of the newer bikes.
If you ride for pleasure the 650 will deliver.
If you are planning to ride 2 up and have gained grith over time it may not be as comfortable as a newer bike.

How many miles on the bike and have you seen it run. It look like it has very little miles on it.

Bumpity... Well the deal fell thru, compression test was ugly 60 and 75 lbs across the holes. The shop mechanic did the test while I watched he did it right. Soooo... What might the thing be worth as is?? The shop has done lots of work already complete brakes,fork seals carb rebuild and more so he's in a bit of a spot.The motor will need a tear down to see what it needs but I'd assume pistons rings and a valve job and maybe barrels. Any Ideas?
Thanks
Bill

Is this a runner? IE been driven some lately? If it has been run some recently that is dismally low. If it's been sitting it might not be so bad. Either way doesn't sound like a $3,200 bike to me. I hope this is the SELLING shop that has put in the work.

Little bill corrected me!

Last edited:
The bike is plated and has been running for awhile. The shop has few options, cobble it together with used parts, do a proper rebuild and try and recoup their costs on an already high priced bike or sell it as is.If I was to make an" as is "deal it means a proper rebuild. So I'll ask a few questions once in awhile.So again what would you pay for a bike like this?
Cheers
Bill

Back