New to the XS world

TJC

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Ive recently bought my first 1980 XS650.

I bought it not running..

This is my first kickstart bike and I was wondering if its possible to kickover the motor without a battery? Just trying to do troubleshooting and want to see if having a battery or not is going to matter in terms of just getting it started.
This might be a dumb question and a question that has been answered before but I haven't found anything.

Thanks in advance.

You need a charged battery for it to start and run. The ignition draws power from it to operate when the engine isn't running and producing a charge output. The ignition also draws power from the battery when the RPMs are low and the charging system isn't putting out much.

Hi T, welcome to the party! You'll find enough help here to have that '80 running in no time! And send us pictures. Lots of pictures. We love pictures ('cuz we're nosy!) :laugh: What are your future plans, regarding the bike? Restoration? Survivor? Is it in good enough condition as is (besides not running...)? Once running, check the tire dates. More than 5 years old, replace them, no matter how good they look. But, I'm getting ahead of yourself... :doh:

Okay so just to make sure, i cznnot use the kickstart without a battery?

@59Tebo its a bike yard find and the frame has some surface rust. Compression seems decent but ive yet to use a compression tester on it. Will do that soon. My goal is to hardtail it into a back breaker. Lol. But need to get it running first. Im still new with these motors and everything is kind of old and there is Lots of parts needing replaced. I was just hoping for the motor to be salvageable without rebuilding it.

Attachments

• Snapchat-801430311.jpg
    Snapchat-801430311.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 250
Welcome to the site. First thing to do is to get a manual, this site has some that can be downloaded. Second is to put the sawzall on the back shelf for a while till you get it running. Depending on your state, it may be easier to get title in your name with a stock bike, then mod to your pocket book's content. You did get a title with it, right?
I do not know what experience you have with bikes, so forgive me if I state the obvious. If you put a bettery in it, the starter may spin, unless it has been removed. Look under the machine to see if it is still there.
The machine as shown looks good, could be a real survivor!

Correct, you cannot use the kickstarter without a battery either. This bike needs a good battery in place to start and/or run.

Okay so just to make sure, i cznnot use the kickstart without a battery?
@59Tebo its a bike yard find and the frame has some surface rust. Compression seems decent but ive yet to use a compression tester on it. Will do that soon. My goal is to hardtail it into a back breaker. Lol. But need to get it running first. Im still new with these motors and everything is kind of old and there is Lots of parts needing replaced. I was just hoping for the motor to be salvageable without rebuilding it.

Hi TJC,
as you've done a compression test you've already used the kickstart without a battery.
But no battery means no spark means no it won't effin' start no matter how hard you kick.
And if you gotta have a hardtail buy a pre-butchered frame and save yours for someone who ain't a masochist.

@lakeview thanks for the input. Yeah, no sawzall for awhile. Gotta get it road ready first. Im pretry familiar with bikes, just never owned a yamaha especially with a kick start and electric start..

I do have the title in hand and am currently gettimg it transferred into my name. A survivor it is!!

@5twins thank you for the input.

Hey @fredintoon you wanna buy this frame then?

I would have to agree with Fred. How are the roads in Utah? Pothole city in Canada. Biggest regret I have had with motorcycles is hard tailing one, so much so, that I had to buy another 650. She’s a good looker, but a smooth road machine, that’s for sure. Maybe think about one of those kits where you leave the shocks in? But in the end we all need to do what we have to do. Have fun!

Welcome fellow SG pilot/rider. I've had mine almost 10 yrs. I know a lot of XS650 owners prefer Standard models and don't like the Specials. That's OK with me. I love the mags because of the no maint. other than needing air now and again and some grease on the bearings. There are a lot of improvements that can be done to our bikes. I feel these are one of the best back road bikes around. Ask away if you have any questions. We are here to share.

Back