New to XS650 Cafe build

bbancsov

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Alright guys, this is my first XS650, previous CBR owner. Got her home and finally started the teardown process. Has a medium sized oil leak coming from somewhere underneath, and the electric start doesn't always engage but other than that it's looking good.

Here she is safe and sound after a chilly ride home
2012-03-27215603.jpg

Mods will be:
Black/Gunmetal paint scheme
Rear & Front Fender Eliminator
Modified Cafe 2-up style seat
FLEDA look alike integrated tail light
Either Clip-On's or Clubman's (Haven't made up my mind yet)
12,000k HID headlight
LED turn signals
Bar end mirrors
CB750 tank

Also plan on a sportbike front end swap and rear wheel down the road at some point.

Now the teardown, I've got a couple of ideas on re-positioning the rear-sets as shown in the photo's. Which do you guys think would be best? (Keep in mind im making this a 2-up and need to move the passenger pegs even farther back!)

Stock:
2012-03-30121226.jpg

Middle-position:
2012-03-30121234.jpg

Passenger-position:
2012-03-30121210.jpg

Also, anyone know which sportier wheels (CBR, GSXR, etc...) fit the sizing of the swingarm and or front shocks?

I'd go with the mid position....and bring those bars up a bit. A complete front end swap is probably easier than finding a modern wheel that will fit stock forks. Swap the steering stems and you can bolt on almost anything you want....just be mindful of changing in steering geometry and ground clearance. If you want a wide sportbike rear then you'll need an offset sprocket too

I put a 200 zx6r front end on mine with the stock wheel. You can also see where the rearsets would put your feet if you go that route.
820d5c70.jpg

Do you have drawings or close-ups of your rearset? And i see your not running a kickstart, is that for clearance issues with the pegs?

Back