New wheel bearings tight?

xsdrew

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Quick question:

I just installed my new wheel bearings. I used a large socket the same diameter of the outside race to pound them in. I did one side until seated, then I flipped over the wheel, inserted the spacer and pounded in the other one the same way. Once it was close, I used the front axle to center the spacer between the bearings and tapped the bearing until the spacer was sandwiched between them.

Now, the bearings are very tight and hard to roll because the spacer is touching the inner race of the bearings.

Is this normal? The old bearings weren't hard to roll but spacer was sandwiched the same way.

i've ran into the same issue before. do a light tap to the inner race on both bearings. loosened right up.

when i say light tap, i would guess it was the equivalent to the force needed to hammer in a brad nail into soft pine.

i've ran into the same issue before. do a light tap to the inner race on both bearings. loosened right up.

when i say light tap, i would guess it was the equivalent to the force needed to hammer in a brad nail into soft pine.

Just gave that a try, no such luck.

To be clear; hard to turn assembled bearings are not normal. The only thing that comes to mind is some "not the right one" bearing with an odd offset on the inner race but that's unusual to say the least. look very carefully that a bearing isn't cocked in the wheel.

Back