New Xs owner

RobbyG74

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought a 1975 XS650 last year. I am brand new to motorcycles and after seeing the community that these little bikes have I knew I had to have one. I am not mechanical, I have done basic maintenance but I am not afraid to ask for help or pay to have it done right. I have been looking at Hugh's blog and all of the products he offers and I am starting to feel over whelmed.

So here's the deal, my motor has 6300 miles on it. I had the carbs cleaned and the tank sealed last summer. It runs on the first or second kick every time. It feels good on the road, but probably needs some new tires.

Is there anything I NEED to do to this bike? I've been looking in to Hugh's PMA, and also his rebuilding service (mainly to get the re-phase and to clean the motor up (38 years of crud is hard to get off ;-) but my budget is tight and a full re-phase is at least a year out.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated. I'm sure there are tons of articles and threads on what can be done but right now my head is swimming and I need to be shoved in a direction. Thanks!

Have you changed the oil yet?

I would pull and clean the oil filters. 1 side - 1 bottom. The one in the bottom, the sump, will probably need repair. Do a search ont this site and you'll find good info on the repair. Check out the tech section for lots o info.

If you don't have a manual, get one.

Good Luck !

Welcome to the site Robby.
Oil change @ 1k using an oil suitable for wet clutchs. If you stay with oils manufactured for motorcycles use the brand of you choice. Do not think you are getting over by buying cheaper oil for auto's. Check and rinse clean the strainer screens(filters using the term loosely).

Learn to check your cam chain tensoner adjustment. Whichever method (cold, hot, in-between) is better than no adjustment. This will help with chain slap hopefully increasing the life of the front cam chain guide.

Valve adjustment, again doing it will help you find the method you like best and any correct adjustment is better than none, but not better than doing it wrong.

Check the brushes these are a wear item. Ignoring them will lead to poor battery charging. That leads to burnt rotors from trying to keep the battery charged.

Check the drive chain adjustment. The 3/4 inch slack/sag in the chain may change when you sit on it. Especially if you cast a larger shadow than most. Or it may not change if you can stand sidewards, stick your tongue out and be mistaken for a zipper.
A chain too loose leads to premature wear and hard shifting in my experience.
And if you let it get to loose and engine brake you run the chance of overrunning the front sprocket and bending the push rod for the clutch.

And that brings us to the clutch adjustment.
Oiling the cable, disassemble and grease the rachet checking the plastic threaded gear for cracking. Check the bushing behind the push rod seal by wiggling the push rod sideways. If worn too much it will leave a gap between the seal and rod that will weep oil. You can think of it as auto chain oiler, a territory marker or fix it.

I have 4 that I care for that are rideable right now.
None have PMA's, pamco's or rephasing.
Basically stock equipped bikes.
And I probably put on as many miles a year as the next rider.

One thing you can't afford is to let someone else do your work.
a> it is costly
b> most often the shop doesn't really know these and will stuff it up.
Hang around, read, look at your bike, read, touch your bike, read some more and it will start to come together for you.
These bikes really are pretty simple compared to others.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, that does help. I have a shop in town who specializes in later model Japanese bikes, so I may talk with them, but they sound expensive. I feel like I can work on it myself I just don't have a very good set up for working on bikes, and i'm a little intimidated by the whole thing. No guts no glory right?

Aside from what has been mentioned, with the low miles that you have just ride it untill it needs something, as you're pretty far ahead in the game and spring's around the corner.

I have had 3....all with stock charging systems. All worked fine. All i do is upgrade to a solid state Voltage Reg. No re-phase. I like the 360* hum. Pamco is a good upgrade from points. A worth while $, my 74 Is a great runner.

Maint. is very simple on these things, Get a good manual, read stuff on here and dive in. Ask questions.

Ya better come to school and study your lessons boys.
That is a NICE looking bike.
Just got the chance to look. I'd say someone who had it liked it. Witness the SS front brake line. But the mirror? How did you do that? Oh wait I see the clutch adjustment problems have started. I back off an eighth and about a pennies freeplay at the perch.

Thanks for the compliments! I took these pictures as we were working on putting new bars on it so that's why some stuff might look a little funky. I'll put more pics up as I continue working on it. I am trying to make it look like a bobber but I am not going to go hard tail yet. I added new lane splitter bars from TC, I'm chopping the rear fender and adding a tombstone taillight, I've already put on a solo seat, and I'm taking off the stock turn signals. I'll also be painting the whole thing black.

Thanks for the compliments! I took these pictures as we were working on putting new bars on it so that's why some stuff might look a little funky. I'll put more pics up as I continue working on it. I am trying to make it look like a bobber but I am not going to go hard tail yet. I added new lane splitter bars from TC, I'm chopping the rear fender and adding a tombstone taillight, I've already put on a solo seat, and I'm taking off the stock turn signals. I'll also be painting the whole thing black.

Listen to Weekend rider before you start chopping that bike . You could probably sell yours ( it is near mint from the look of it and if the milage is correct, barley broken in ) and buy something that would be easier to build a bobber out of or buy a road ready bobber and have money left over .

I am sure. I am going to ride this bike forever and have no intention of selling. I've always been fascinated with old timey bobber style bikes and am excited to build a stripped down bar hopper. thanks for the reference though it is interesting to see.

Thank you for your concern, but I've already begun working on it. I will leave the chassis stock and most changes will be cosmetic. Again I am not the type to wheel and deal. I bought the bike because of it's reliability and it's basic style. I am excited to make the changes and work on it, part of the reason why I bought it.

Keep the stock parts just in case you do decide to sell. Someone could put it back to stock condition.

Back