New XS650 bobber owner

rafbobber702

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm new here and I just got a 79' XS650 bobber. I couldn't be more happy with it. It's my official first motorcycle ever, even though I've had my M1 motorcycle license for over 5+ years haha. But I rode sports bikes in the past awhile back. This is my starter and learner bike.

Well I have a few concerns in regards to my bobber. It apparently has an idle issue/start-up. Once it's running and idling, it will randomly shut off. From what I know the engine had a recent tune up and new parts from the previous owner. Bike runs smooth and and everything even before the service work. Now suddenly it had this idle issue of shutting off, etc. We've both looked at it, and might be somewhere in the wiring possibly, but not sure. I have receipts of all the parts that were replaced or serviced. Any ideas what it could be? (new carb kit, seals, etc.)

Also, there's a push button ignition that's ready for wiring hidden under the seat area. Is there a write-up/how-to on how I can wire it up. I want to use the ignition push button instead of kick starting it.

Thanks! Here's my bobber for reference ya'll.

8195149572_0141f6f969_c.jpg

That's a very nice bike there and a perfect starter for you to make your own! Sudden shutting off could be either fuel or electrical.
Give your carbs a good clean out and check out the carb guide in the tech section.
What you running electrical wise - points, TCI, Pamco, Boyer?

Thanks! I'm still learning about the xs650, researching daily. I actually just got it yesterday too, great deal. I couldn't pass it up or someone else would of snagged it.

Also I was able to get a mechanic to check it out and run diagnostics early this morning. And concluded the ignition coil(original/factory) is bad/faulty, besides that everything else is in working order.

As for a new ignition coil, I think I'm better off with an aftermarket one. Any suggestions on which to get for my stock engine setup?

Electrical wise, it's all still original according to the previous owner. But I've read about the PAMCO setup, and I'm sure to get it as my next maintenance mod.

Good stuff, I ve only run Boyer Bransden ignitions and coils but I understand that the Pamco is top notch.
I'd probably replace like for like to get you running then upgrade

Any ideas on how to tie down the battery? Besides having a battery tray welded in. Like some type of strap or I think I've seen people using clothing belts.

Back