New Xs650- Should I go Brat?

DocWhitley

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
I am new here and I am looking for some opinions here... I have had back surgery aand need another one so I had to give up on the dream of a Hard tail so i am thinking brat style.

Does anyone here have a Brat style that also rides a springer seat? How does it ride? Does the angle of the shocks compromise their ability to absorb the pounding?

I am hoping that I can get the riding position similar to that of the 450 Rebel. with the seat lower the the handle bars... I hate feeling like I am sitting on top of the bike if that makes sense.

Also I saw on a youtube video that a guy removed the battery but was still able to ride the bike... Any idea how you do that?

I think you should do exactly what makes you happy. It's your bike. Lots of people on here flame others for sportster tanks, hard tails, brats, etc. . . but in the end; you need to do what makes you happy.

As far as brat style with a spring seat, I have this. I used the original shocks that came with the bike and it actually has a lot of travel. I am 6'6" 235lbs. On the REALLY hard bumps, the seat springs will bottom out, but there is still plenty of play in the shocks to cover it. Just be careful when it recoils (springs back up). Shoots me off the seat sometimes, but thats only on the big ones.

I have ridden the bike on a 410mi round trip run and back was completely fine. Just a sore ass from using such a thin seat. Had I had a one of those plush harley seats, it would have been easy.

To remove the battery you will need to change up to a permanent magnet. Search PMA for more information on this. I run a small battery 12v 1.2mAh and its fine.

I would also recommend posting an intro thread stating where you are, you're bike, etc. Helps everyone become acquainted with you.

Welcome to the board Doc!

I've always thought that sprung seats looked really strange on a bike with suspension, kind of an overkill if you ask me.
Then i rode one, and now i think that it looks bad and its way too mushy having double spring action. But that's just my opinion.

I will post an intro as soon as I figure out the year on the bike... I plan on running the Vin tomorrow. The Story on the Bike is as follows:

I rode a Honda Rebel that I Bobbed and put a hard tail on... Best Bike I ever had but, after years of riding and a military accident I developed several herniated disc so I sold the Honda.... I then bought a house almost 2 years ago and I finally got around to looking at this bike that was left in the garage... all I know is that it is a 650 Special and the color is red. I cleaned the carbs... changed the oil.... tossed a neighbors battery in and with a squirt of starter fluid it started up. I just do not feel comfortable with the riding position of the Standard. I loved the seating height of the Rebel.... even more with the Hard tail... just can not handle the bumps. I will try to post some pics of it and if I decide to go with the build I will do step by step photos... I am just nervous that the straight shocks will not provide enough protection after being moved to a steeper angle to give me the ride height I want... and that it will be wasted money.

Brat bikes with rebel shocks ride stiff as fuck. Low bikes and soft shocks are a poor combination, unless you like dragging frame through turns.

If your back is in that bad of shape, you should worry more about rider comfort than looks. I have back and neck issues, and the sportster with 1" lowered shocks I owned, killed my back... I am running stock length shocks on the back of my bike, and have done 100+ miles in a day without issue.

Couple suggestions, longer shocks ride better, mid controls allow you to stand up while riding to stretch, and bar design has as much to do with rider comfort as the seat and foot controls. Build your bike so its enjoyable to ride first, then add the style you want, not the other way around.

If your back is in that bad of shape, you should worry more about rider comfort than looks. I have back and neck issues, and the sportster with 1" lowered shocks I owned, killed my back... I am running stock length shocks on the back of my bike, and have done 100+ miles in a day without issue.

Couple suggestions, longer shocks ride better, mid controls allow you to stand up while riding to stretch, and bar design has as much to do with rider comfort as the seat and foot controls. Build your bike so its enjoyable to ride first, then add the style you want, not the other way around.

I second the comfort of mids. Easy to put your ass off the seat for big bumps too. Can't imagine trying to do it with forwards. Must be spooky.

Back