Newbie Build 81 XS Special Brat Style

ckdaly9

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Howdy,
Im a newbie to this site. What a wealth of information, thanks!!
This is my 81 XS650 Special build. I bought it as a complete running bike for $300.00. Now its scattered in pieces on my garage floor and the rest is in the trash.. The pics show the stance im shooting for. Hardtail look with functional rear shocks. Lots of grinding done since these pics, and lots more to go. I'll post more pics as I progress...:wink2:

Attachments

• IMG_4782.jpg
    IMG_4782.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 548
  • IMG_4788.jpg
    IMG_4788.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 595
hey guys , im new here as well. I picked up an 81 xs650 as well for $450 from a guy on here...started to tear it apart, cleaned carbs and stuff...Ill be doing a brat style as well so ill be following this thread. Maybe well bounce some ideas of each other
http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/1/3204/3061/8009030021_large.jpg

i dont know how to make them small enough with only 19 kb.....sorry for the size

ckdaly9, Welcome...

I wish I could find a complete running bike for $300! Now the question is: does it have a title?

matt81xs, you should start a thread about your build and we can help you figure out how to post pictures.

yeah it was a super steal. no title but i ran the vin and its clean. Idaho does not require a title, just a bill of sale so shes good. Matt I'd be stoked to bounce ideas with ya, you got lots of fun ahead of ya! Clean bike for the money!!. But yeah, I peep a lot of sites looking for goodies and ideas.. My brother is also building a bobber style brat, i'll get him up on this board too. his is coming along real nice..

Heres the frame after a weekend of grinding. gotta re-locate the shock mounts this weekend to accomodate my stance. I work on the road so i only have the weekends to work on her, but I plan on having a lot done this weekend.

Attachments

• downsize.jpg
    downsize.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 432
i would imagine its like here in maine for registration. Once something is xxxx years old it only requires the bill of sale and no title. Im in the same boat, no title only the bos

how are you mounting the rear fender? Ive been thinking alot about thism myself, im going to use the stock fender and just move it down and find a way to mount it. What are you doing with the side covers, battery and electrics?

sorry guys, i had to work over the weekend.. yeah matt your right, Idaho doesnt require a title whatsoever. just a bill of sale and a vin. as far as the fender goes, I plan on mounting the rear fender on the swingarm so I can tuck it tight to the tire. I plan on having a set of mounts at the hingepoint of the swingarm and mounts over the rear axle as well. Hopefully it will work out good.
Other than that, I just chopped my frame a bit more and got my oversize Pro taper clamps mounted up. I'm working in town for a short bit so I'll post some pics in the next day or so as I progress. slowly but surely.....

forgot I had this pic with a taped up EMT mock. shows the bars and clamps and kinda what I'm shootin for. gonna run 1 inch for the down tubes and run the shock mounts off the back behind the seat. shooting for a 10 3/4" - 11" eye to eye shock, but if the angle is too steep I might have to run a shorter shock and relocate the mounts on the swingarm. well see...

Attachments

• IMG_4802.jpg
    IMG_4802.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 474
Back