Newbie from Tucson, AZ

plane_ben

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Hi all,
My name is Ben, and I'm excited to be here. I've just aquired an XS650 of unknown year and model. Basically it's a frame and engine without exhaust pipes, carbs, and various other bits(the motor turns over). I have two fork legs, but one is missing a spring cap and spring. No wheels at all, the swing arm is there along with a brake stay rod. I plan to do a hardtail mod to it, and a springer front end. But I"m getting way ahead of myself, as first off, I must see about getting this frame a title.:D

I just finished a couple projects this past year. One is a '62 VW single cab shorty pickup. The other a '73 Honda CL450 Bobber that I made my own hardtail. I think both turned out well, and public reactions for both projects is over the top. Hard to get out of parking lots/gas station.:D

96-1.jpg

183.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum! That pickup is awesome! Is that your van also? Nice job on the Honda 450.

You should post the first six digits of the VIN on the frame and also the first six for the engine number on your XS650. They should be the same but a lot of times they aren't because people swap motors. That way we could figure out the year(s) you are working with.

Is it hard to get a title for a non-titled motorcycle in AZ? In most states it's a huge pain in the ass. If you can't make anything work through your DMV, I've used International Title Service with good results. They ended up titling the motorcycle in my name in Maine. I sold it to a neighbor and he had no problems getting a Wisconsin title in his name so it all worked out.

You should post a pic of the XS650 so we can see what you are working with.

Thanks for the welcome. I'll be getting pictures and vin#s asap. Should have no trouble with a title either. I once picked up a basket case TT500 in NV, had it inspected in AZ and walked out with title in hand same day. Of course it helped that at one time neither NV or AZ were title states for off road bikes. We'll see what happens.

Is that your van also?

No, it's just a van along side the road during a recent road trip. Good photo OP.

Here are the numbers on my xs650. Frame 5V4-001370, Engine S650-211241.
I'm guessing the engines' been changed. Any help one the year would be appriciated.

Last edited:
The frame is a 1982 and motor is a 1973.

I was going to say it looks like you have a drum swingarm but it doesn't matter since you want to hardtail it anyway.

Looks like you have a lot of parts to buy. Most of the stuff you're missing you'd probably end up upgrading anyway so it's not a huge deal. Let us know how trying to title it goes. If it doesn't work out, and since you just starting with a motor and a frame anyway, you could get a titled frame for about $100 if you look around.

Here's more pics. Decieded to tear down my engine to see what I was delt.
As the engine turned over really well, I had a feeling some things would be ok. But I also dreaded seeing lots of rust, as I found this bike open to the elements with no carbs, or exhaust pipes, and an open oil filler. I was pleasantly suprised to find almost no rust. Just some watery rust in the cylinders. No, more like oily rust. The bottom end looks clean, rod big ends nice and tight, bearings smooth, and oil pump moves free and moves oil when poured into the pickup. Looked into the tranny with an inspection scope, and nothing looks amiss in there as well. So I think I will flush large quantities of cleaner through the bottm end, and put it back together, and freshen up the top end with a cylinder hone, new rings, and lap the valves. This engine shows almost no wear.

teardown1.jpg

teardown5.jpg

teardown3.jpg

teardown6.jpg

Last edited:
That motor looks pretty good.

I thought the 73 motors came with decompression releases and the '74s didn't have them because of an upgraded starter. Maybe they switched that mid-year 1973? Or maybe the previous owner swapped the starter and removed the decomp?

Are you going to run electric start?

I don't know these engines to well yet. But the left front valve cover was square/with four nuts holding it on. Is this something to do with decompression? I didn't see anything to suggest it.
I do plan to run elec start if the starter works. I will test it out shortly.

I don't have anything like that. Just a smooth valve cover. Looks like the decompressor is all contained in the valve cover in Robs' picture. If my starter motor doesn't have the grunt, I could find a decom to install.

I think you'd have an easier time finding a new starter if needed. Then you don't have to deal with finding a decomp lever also.

Went to a DMV service today to see about a title. As they are just a DMV service, they couldn't perform an inspection, but they did run my vin#s to verify if I was in possesion of stolen goods.:eek: Came out with clean numbers.:cool: Now I can build. After I get a rolling chassis, I can take it to a regular DMV for Level II inspection, and apply for a salvage title. Had to do the same thing to a old Moto Guzzi I had years ago, so it won't be an unfamilar process.

So what does the level II inspection include? Do you need another inspection when it's a complete bike with working horn, turn signals, mirrors, etc to get the title to say prior salvage?

Seems like a lot of messing around to me, especially if you aren't planning on using a few of those thing mentioned above, and you'll need them just for an inspection.

But, at least you can start your build now if you want.

In AZ, a level II is required anytime something unusal occurs in a vehicles life and it requires new ownership title. I my case two different vin#s and no current title. I once had to get a brand new '04 Gas Gas trials bike inspected because the new vin# system showed it to be a 1973. Turns out GG uses non-standard vin format. Since most owners of these trials machines don't use them for anything but competition, and they never get titled, it was never identified. And because I wanted to trail ride mine, and AZ requires off road tags, I needed a title to get those. On another occasion, my '01 Honda XR650Rs' vin# was screw up by the finance company substituting an 'O' for a zero. I could go on with my DMV adventures, but I've bored you enough already.:rolleyes:

haha! At least the DMV has some method for you to get those problems fixed. In some states, if you don't have a title, you're screwed.

So will you need another inspection once it's a complete bike and more than just a roller? 2 inspections total or just the one?

Just the one. It's owner responsibility to have all required street legal equipment. Used to be, converting a dirt bike to street legal ment an inspection. But they got over run with them. Now you just go in and sign an afidavit that you're legal. We have quads on the street here in AZ.

Nice! that doesn't sound too bad then. Can't wait to see the build. Any ideas on what you are going to use for the springer?

Back