Newbie from Tucson, AZ

Been doing some mock up on the rear rim for the Yamaha. Bought some Kawasaki rims for it awhile back. They were about an 1 1/4" to wide, so I made a few adjustments so they would fit the Yamaha spacing.
IMG_0247.jpg

You can see the milling I did on the hub between hub and sproket.
IMG_0248.jpg

This pic shows the brake backing plate still on the mill. I'm milling down to the blue line.
IMG_0250.jpg

IMG_0251.jpg

These two show the rim mounted. May still need to narrow the sproket side bearing seal area, as it is pretty close to the axle adjuster. I need to weld spacer washers on the inside of the adjusters so they fit the width of the 3/8" adjuster plates on the frame

Last edited:
Wish I had your tool's!! after the pics of that VW truck I'm not suprized to see this type of professional work coming from you....all i can say is WOW....:D

Wow, great work as usual! What kind of mill do you have?

I've had a little Shop Task mill/lathe for about twelve years or so. Comes in handy all the time. Funny thing about this last bit of work, this is usually a lathe task. But I couldn't mount either piece to my lathe chuck, so I had to do both on the mill. Lots of little X, Y moves on the sproket hub.

That's cool, I've wanted a 3 in 1 for a couple of years. But from everything I've read, most people say to get an old lathe and old mill as separates because they are tighter. I almost bought an old southbend lathe for a $1,000 but didn't because I didn't know enough about what I was getting. I think a 3 in 1 is really what I need for space savings, but I want something that will last 25 years. Would you recommend the Shoptask, or any other 3 in 1? Seem like they are called shopmaster now

I've been really happy with my 3 in 1. It won't do the real heavy stuff, or large size jobs. I have access to a full size mill when the projects get big.

Travis, check and see if your local CC has classes in manual machining. Ours here in Tucson had a verity of machines. Good way to learn and pick up knowledge to properly check out that deal that springs up.

Ben, Yeah I thought about doing that, but it's hard to find one that has night courses around here. I'd really like to take a course or program that went over everything from manual machining, to working with CAD mills and lathes, to drawing in SolidWorks or AutoCAD. I'd like to be able to do the small stuff at home manually or with CAD attachments, and learn the software so I can draw up some cool stuff and have it sent out to be done if I can't do it with what I have.

What do you have for motors in your Shoptask? What model is it? A Quadra Lift-1996?

Wow! I haven't posted in awhile. Six pages back! been a regular lurker though.:D I haven't been working on my project much this month, doing another short VW bus for a friend, and my daughters car started burning anti freeze. But I have managed to finish the rear wheel mock up. Made some spacers that ride on the inside of the axle slots, and take up the space left from not using the pull type chain adjusters.

yam7.jpg

Scrounged up an old Honda tank at the junk yard that I think I like. Fifteen dallars, so it won't break the bank if I deceide I don't like it. Funny, I put a Yamaha tank on my Honda bobber, and now contiplating a Honda tank for a Yamaha.:shrug:

yam2.jpg

Last edited:
I'm also looking forward to the girder build. :D Nice job with the spacers and adjusters.

Got any pictures of the new short bus project?

Nice! those are so cool... Looks like a lot of work though! How long do you think it'll take to finish? And how much would someone have into a project like this?

I'll be finished with it by end of Jan 2010, I'm just doing the shortening and some other repair work. Then the owner will take over from there.

I put close to $6500.00 into my shorty single cab.

Travis, I believe that the reason for the compression release was that only a 12 amp battery was available in '73. Yamaha didn't think that was enough amperage,so.Then the 14 AH. battery became available. I also believe that the starter moter's are all the same. Ben, you gotta be a young 'un, all that work on Hitler's Revenge! Nice work, I gotta say. Are you runnin' the later 2.0 litre's from the later van's? I had quite a few beatle's that I ran with the 2 litre. Or you runnin' the sixes from Porsche?

Back