newbie here

zman

XS650 Member
Reaction score
new to the site and the xs650 just picked up my first one hoping to do a hardtail and few other things to make a little bobber out of here's what she looks like right now.
Photo0011.jpg

not sure if it runs hooked a battery tester up and turned the key on lights and stuff work but starter just makes a buzz noise its been sitting for along time. as for other things i wanna do is maybe get some spoked wheels for it or maybe drill the mags like ardcores baf penny i think it was, maybe a sporty tank. like i said though this is my first bike project so not to sure what to do or how to do to much. but i got this bike a 79 kawasaki 650 and a 70's montero dirt bike all for $150 so i dont think i did to bad at least i hope i didnt.

Damn!!! Nice price! You did great!

Ever try kicking the XS650 over a few times to see what it does?

I would spend a little time trying to get it running before you rip into it. It might not be all that hard to get going and you'll feel better know the motor is good (or at least runs). Then you can ride it and see if you even like it before you put a lot of time, energy, and money into it.

i tried kicking it it has compression i was just going to tear it down sicne it been sitting so long i figured theres been bad gas sitting in there idk just really dont know anything about them.

- no problem, do a good check over before you go maybe creating work for yourself

idk just really dont know anything about them.

Start reading! :D Plenty of good stuff on here to get you going..

Maybe start here http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125

Then check out all the other engine and carb links in the tech section as well as using the search for certain issues. If you can't figure something out, post it up and someone will help. :thumbsup:

well quick update ggot the bike pretty much towrn all the way to the frame and motor. going to get the rest apart this week.

Are you going to hardtail it or just remove some of the uneeded mounts and tabs?

You want to buy a Yamaha manual, or a Haynes, or a Clymer. They all have their benefits.
Haynes or Clymer, you'll get plenty of argument there over which one to have!

You realise that there is links to online manuals in the tech section?
Another site that's not there (I think) is knucklebusters

http://www.knucklebusterinc.com/tech/XS650.pdf

I'm lucky enough to have a good printer at work, so I downloaded, double side printed & spiral bound a copy. Came out pretty good, though of course the pics aren't the best! Cheers

Back