1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

newbie here

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by zman, Dec 30, 2009.

Tags:
  1. zman

zman XS650 Member

denver
    new to the site and the xs650 just picked up my first one hoping to do a hardtail and few other things to make a little bobber out of here's what she looks like right now. [​IMG]

2. crash

crash XS650 Junkie

welcome zman.keep us posted on the progress of the chop.

3. Travis

Travis Staff Member XS650.com Supporter

"few other things" ... Like what?

Does it run?

4. zman

zman XS650 Member

denver
    not sure if it runs hooked a battery tester up and turned the key on lights and stuff work but starter just makes a buzz noise its been sitting for along time. as for other things i wanna do is maybe get some spoked wheels for it or maybe drill the mags like ardcores baf penny i think it was, maybe a sporty tank. like i said though this is my first bike project so not to sure what to do or how to do to much. but i got this bike a 79 kawasaki 650 and a 70's montero dirt bike all for $150 so i dont think i did to bad at least i hope i didnt.

5. Travis

Damn!!! Nice price! You did great!

Ever try kicking the XS650 over a few times to see what it does?

I would spend a little time trying to get it running before you rip into it. It might not be all that hard to get going and you'll feel better know the motor is good (or at least runs). Then you can ride it and see if you even like it before you put a lot of time, energy, and money into it.

6. zman

zman XS650 Member

denver
    i tried kicking it it has compression i was just going to tear it down sicne it been sitting so long i figured theres been bad gas sitting in there idk just really dont know anything about them.

7. inxs

inxs xx

- no problem, do a good check over before you go maybe creating work for yourself

8. bloodhound

bloodhound XS650 Addict

bike won't start unless the battery is fully charged.

9. Travis

Start reading! :D Plenty of good stuff on here to get you going..

Maybe start here http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125

Then check out all the other engine and carb links in the tech section as well as using the search for certain issues. If you can't figure something out, post it up and someone will help. :thumbsup:

10. zman

zman XS650 Member

denver
    right on thanks travis. so does anyone know anything about g&l here in colorado?

11. bloodhound

bloodhound XS650 Addict

G&L is a great place, they might be backed up so if you want it done faster try Ardcore. Take a look at www.oldschoolhelmets.webs.com they are made by one of the employees at G&L.

12. zman

zman XS650 Member

denver
    well quick update ggot the bike pretty much towrn all the way to the frame and motor. going to get the rest apart this week.

13. inxs

inxs xx

- welcome to the learning curve :bike:

14. Travis

Are you going to hardtail it or just remove some of the uneeded mounts and tabs?

15. zman

zman XS650 Member

denver
    yea its going tc bros hardtail might as well go all out from this point.

16. crash

crash XS650 Junkie

tc bros have some great shit:thumbsup:

17. zman

zman XS650 Member

denver
    thats what i here anybody know where i can buy an actual 650 manual?

18. yamaman

yamaman xs650 addict

You want to buy a Yamaha manual, or a Haynes, or a Clymer. They all have their benefits.
    Haynes or Clymer, you'll get plenty of argument there over which one to have!

You realise that there is links to online manuals in the tech section?
    Another site that's not there (I think) is knucklebusters

http://www.knucklebusterinc.com/tech/XS650.pdf

I'm lucky enough to have a good printer at work, so I downloaded, double side printed & spiral bound a copy. Came out pretty good, though of course the pics aren't the best! Cheers

19. zman

zman XS650 Member

denver
    yea i might have to just download it and sneek it off the printer at work lol.