Newbie in the House - from UK - 1978 Special

member16874

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Back in 1980 I had an XS650B - as an 18 yr old I thrashed the living daylights out of it (like you do) trying to keep up with my mates on their RD400's, GS1000's...etc. :eek:

In the end it started to rattle & smoke so I swapped it for a tidy RD250..... :banghead:

Anyhow +30 years later & over 50 bikes passed thru' my hands, I finally tracked down a scruffy runner locally - for reasonable £££££££'s - they do seem rather more expensive nowadays :wtf:

So - I saw this one on eBay, only 20 miles down the road...... I went over and checked it out..... it was up for £1495 - road legal with a years ticket (MOT & tax) but in need of a fair bit of TLC :thumbsup: I took it for a quick spin and even thought it was idling a bit lumpy (spitting) it pulled well and didn't sound to noisy mechanically..... so I offered £1300 and a deal was done.

EBAY3_zpsce3e6b04.jpg

Photo2925_zpscd00dbaf.jpg

It also comes with a vgc spare head, good rear tyre, twin pipes & a Haynes manual.... picking it up tomorrow :bike:

..... and they all need fixing and maintenance, lol. I'm helping a local guy with his newly acquired '78 Special. He claims he wants to fix it all up but all he's been doing is riding it basically. It's looking worse and worse, lol. I hope it lasts the season.

Hi Pigman welcome to the forum !

Dorset eh? not too far from me then at Merriott. Will you be going to the Japfest at Sparkford Haynes motor museum on the 15th September ? might see ya there.:thumbsup:
John

Thanx for the kind welcome all.

Hi Pigman welcome to the forum !

Dorset eh? not too far from me then at Merriott. Will you be going to the Japfest at Sparkford Haynes motor museum on the 15th September ? might see ya there.:thumbsup:
John

Hi Peanut - I was chatting to the blokes who are setting it up (in Feb at the Carole Nash Bike show at Shepton Mallet) - but it clashes with me hols :wtf: maybe see you around sometime - I'm in Sherborne :thumbsup:

Thanx for the kind welcome all.

Hi Peanut - I was chatting to the blokes who are setting it up (in Feb at the Carole Nash Bike show at Shepton Mallet) - but it clashes with me hols :wtf: maybe see you around sometime - I'm in Sherborne :thumbsup:

Sherborne eh ! I bet they'll just love you thundering up the high street shaking all those grade 1 listed buildings lol:yikes:
Pity you are missing the fest its right on your doorstep too. We're sure to catch up some time I'm sure .

I think its the Taunton & Bridgewater jap bike club that are setting it up.
http://www.vjmc-tb.co.uk/

I believe the guy who runs Somerset Motorcycles at Yeovil is a committee member . I must visit them some time as they specialize in classic Jap bikes
http://www.somersetmotorcycles.co.uk/
keep in touch
John

Sometimes, things sorta get a bit outta hand - and you get carried away - but more of that in a minute......

...... I fitted a nice pair of 3 ohm Dyna coils and the twin pipes today. Next I swapped the bars around for a set of Renthals I had laying about....
...... then I thought I'd give my spare W650 seat a try on the XS.....

RESULT

Photo2959_zps62db8d81.jpg

Photo2962_zpsf05a2b9d.jpg

Back to the weird moment and did you notice the pipes :banghead:

Photo2960_zps8197a173.jpg

Photo2964_zpscf4aee3e.jpg

Awaiting a set of point & condensers to arrive, then I can re-wire the ignition and see if I can get it up & running good

Had a good morning - decided to move the Dyna coils as they were too close to the cylinder head :doh: and found some longer Taylor HT leads. :oops:

Fitted some new plugs abd after a bit o' phaffin' about wheeled her outside and gave her a go...... After a few kicks it backfired once :shock: So I swapped the coil feeds and she started 2nd kick

Appologies for the shite camera video. Took her for a spin around the works yard and she runs real strong - I'm quite impressed how grunty she is :thumbsup:

Photo2969_zps3a9d5010.jpg

Just need to get it insured and take it for a longer spin - not back home yet as Mrs P still doesn't know

3 ohm coils aren't ideal for points use. They'll burn the points up rather quickly. You want 4 to 5 ohm coils. It will run as you've seen, but the question is for how long.

Back