Newbie making some progress

Chachiboy

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I have had my bike now for 2 weeks and loving the journey. There is a lot to do since I bought it as a running project.

So far
-fixed electrical for lights that weren't working (tailights, signals, flasher). Lots of diagram reading to do this!
-got the electrical starter to work!
-swapped out clutch and brake levers that looked ready to crack
-removed headlight brackets. Will be installing new ones.
-replaced handlebars with clip ons
-lowered front forks 2 inches to accommodate my lack in height.

Speaking of lack in height, I want to swap out the existing rear shocks to the originals. The PO gave me the originals which seem to be about 12.5 inches. The ones on it now are about 13.5 inches. Here is my question - I dont have a huge workspace and don't have an access to a jack. Is it possible to change the rear shocks while on the center stand? Will get some 2x4s to help a bit. If not, what is the easiest way to swap keeping in mind I am working in basically tight working area

Is it possible to change the rear shocks while on the center stand?
Sure. You don't really need anything. The rear end is light enough to raise by hand. If you want to make it a little easier, a short 1X4 or even a short piece of ply... slid under the tire from behind and a small 2x4 as a wedge to raise and lower the 1x4

You could also wrap a small cargo strap across the seat and through the wheel spokes.

Chachiboy, welcome to the XS club :cool:
Be aware that when you lower your bike the side stand and center stand functions will also need modified. It’s all doable.
Many XS owners have learned that as a slight handling performance improvement, these bikes actually benefit from the 13.5 inch long shocks.
There are really not too many choices for these so your take offs will have some value to another XS rider.
Honda Rebel shocks seem to be a common choice for lowering an XS .
Look into all the threads o_O
-RT

Chachiboy, welcome to the XS club :cool:
Be aware that when you lower your bike the side stand and center stand functions will also need modified. It’s all doable.
Many XS owners have learned that as a slight handling performance improvement, these bikes actually benefit from the 13.5 inch long shocks.
There are really not too many choices for these so your take offs will have some value to another XS rider.
Honda Rebel shocks seem to be a common choice for lowering an XS .
Look into all the threads o_O
-RT

I am going back to the stock shocks, which would lower it from the current aftermarket ones on there. I won't have to shorten stand by going back to stock will I? As much as I like the lowered look of 10.5 and 11", I don't have the capacity (or ability) to shorten the stands

I am going back to the stock shocks, which would lower it from the current aftermarket ones on there. I won't have to shorten stand by going back to stock will I? As much as I like the lowered look of 10.5 and 11", I don't have the capacity (or ability) to shorten the stands
Your sidestand will get better... the center will get harder to use. Not a huge deal, but it'll definitely take more effort to use.

Carefull with lowering the front too much, I've seen dented front fenders - assuming it was from hitting a pothole with lowered forks........seems to be where the brake line connector is mounted on the lower triple.

Yes, you have to lower the forks properly (internally) because you really can't slide them up in the triple trees very much, maybe 3/8" to 1/2" at most. If you go more than that, you run the risk of the lowers or the fender hitting the bottom triple tree upon full fork compression. I do 1/4" on mine .....

drxitXO.jpg

Think I might try taking just 1/2" out of the center stand tubes on my 1972 knowing I will use a little longer shocks ans keep 18" rims w/ 110/90 tires...and put w brace bracket in

Back