Newbie old fart workin on xs650 special US IMPORT

Weird stuff.
See in the USA in 1978 the Aluminum spoked wheels or even the Special II model did not yet exist.
1978 Specials all had mag wheels and rear disc...
:popcorn:

5C5EDFBB-1818-470C-95D1-829598CEDF71.jpeg
Well here’s the bike carbs needed a clean and one of the jets was blocked but rough in places but work in progress;)

Looks like a 79 Special II wearing a red Special body.
-R
20200215_133635.jpg

Attachments

• 20200215_100921.jpg
    20200215_100921.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 83
Yeah the tank panels headlight have been sprayed , front brake master was dry gonna take it to pieces next , indicators need sortin numerous other jobs ,I’ll have fun get it ready for summer cheers

Both bikes have gone thru more changes can’t help myself will post pics the 78 my sons has no indicators and custom speedo but wants small neutral indicator most diagrams have the sky blue /brown wire control ,the light works but stays on when in gear the bike does not have a sky blue wire in the 6 lead connector now I’ve done this mod on my 79 and works fine so guy any help

The sky blue wire is a path to ground through the neutral switch. The switch connects the light blue wire to ground when the bike is in neutral, breaks that connection when the bike is in gear. If your neutral light is always on, it's has a permanent ground somewhere. I'd start by checking the neutral switch. Maybe it's broken or stuck "on", always grounding the light blue wire. Simple test would be to just disconnect the wire. If the light goes out, you know the switch is at fault.

Thanks for the info any ideas who skinnyboy customs were I can’t find any info why I ask is I picked up a sportster tank which has been sprayed with an xs650 graphic wording by skinnyboy customs ??

Back