Newbie Yamaha Questions

Yes - the choke is an all or nothing thing and its use is virtually mandatory, except when the bike is warmed up (like for instance, it was running within the last 15-20 minutes or so) - although YMMV on that point.

In fact, it isn't really a choke at all - it simply provides a rich mixture necessary for starting and so it is sometimes called an "enricher" or "enrichener". Anyhow - if you don't use it - from my experience, you will almost certainly have a tough time starting any XS650, no matter how well tuned it is.

Got a photo of it?

What is the choke lever like on your other 77? Or is this the same one you had asked about a battery in February? What about the 76?

I bought this bike 3 weeks ago from a guy in NYC. He had it for about 7 months. He had a few bikes when I went to see this one. He had just bought a Kawasaki KZ 900 and wanted to get rid of the Yamaha. There was nothing wrong with it, according to him, he just had one too many bikes

Yes - the choke is an all or nothing thing and its use is virtually mandatory, except when the bike is warmed up (like for instance, it was running within the last 15-20 minutes or so) - although YMMV on that point.

In fact, it isn't really a choke at all - it simply provides a rich mixture necessary for starting and so it is sometimes called an "enricher" or "enrichener". Anyhow - if you don't use it - from my experience, you will almost certainly have a tough time starting any XS650, no matter how well tuned it is.

Got a photo of it?

I do use it but i have to fiddle with it to get it right. Meaning i have to play with opening and closing it and get it just right for it to start.

IMG_9479.JPG
Last week I bought a 1977 Yamaha XS650D from a guy in in the tri-state area. Its a blue beauty and runs well enough.

I plan to get my hands on a manual but I have a few questions:

How do you know when your ignition coil or condenser is going bad? The bike runs fine, idles well enough, but is extremely difficult to start and last weekend it stalled on me when I was on the road, and hesitated a bit when I rolled the throttle, sputtering and whatnot.

The carbs are fine, the mixture is fine as well. I pulled the plugs and they look great. I checked the fuel delivery system and thats working well too.

Another question I have, there is only one brake disc and caliper on the bike, but I noticed on the other fork bolt - holes for another caliper which means I could probably put another brake set up on the other side. I wouldn't want anything aftermarket, I'd just throw on another disc etc. Is this an involved process?

Thanks a million.

Here is a photo. the day I brought it home, in front of my house

You didn't answer my question. Is this the same 77? What about the 76?

I have a xs650 76 and 77 and am looking for a very lightweight, durable and reliable battery. Any suggestions?

I bought this bike 3 weeks ago from a guy in NYC. He had it for about 7 months. He had a few bikes when I went to see this one. He had just bought a Kawasaki KZ 900 and wanted to get rid of the Yamaha. There was nothing wrong with it, according to him, he just had one too many bikes

So the 77 you mentioned owning on February 22nd is the same one you bought three weeks ago? Or did you buy it a week from this past Thursday? Sorry, I can't keep it straight.

Last week I bought a 1977 Yamaha XS650D from a guy in in the tri-state area. Its a blue beauty and runs well enough.

I plan to get my hands on a manual but I have a few questions:

How do you know when your ignition coil or condenser is going bad? The bike runs fine, idles well enough, but is extremely difficult to start and last weekend it stalled on me when I was on the road, and hesitated a bit when I rolled the throttle, sputtering and whatnot.

The carbs are fine, the mixture is fine as well. I pulled the plugs and they look great. I checked the fuel delivery system and thats working well too.

Another question I have, there is only one brake disc and caliper on the bike, but I noticed on the other fork bolt - holes for another caliper which means I could probably put another brake set up on the other side. I wouldn't want anything aftermarket, I'd just throw on another disc etc. Is this an involved process?

Thanks a million.

So the 77 you mentioned owning on February 22nd is the same one you bought three weeks ago? Or did you buy it a week from this past Thursday? Sorry, I can't keep it straight.

The PO mentioned that there might be an "adverse" reception and interrogation in this forum. Im not fond of that. I now gracefully bow out.

Have a great day all of you.

...which raises the question: Has anyone started a thread on motorcycling apparel ? Perhaps in the Lounge ?

For short jaunts to a local gathering, I sometimes wear these:

[ designed for NY Knick's Al Harrington's line of Protege basketball sneaks ]

1975xs650 001.JPG

Last edited:
Back