Newbie ...

XS650RR

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Greetings from Canada (Ontario) ..... been an XS fan for 20 some years, have built and sold to many to remember .... Here is the my latest creation ...:bike:

2400416250_742a00b16f_b.jpg

2399580649_bb237d2ff3_b.jpg

welcome, im in Sudbury. Great looking bike you have there. I would love to pick your brain on that front brake set up you have there.

Nice bike! And welcome to the site!

Do you build motors? I'd like to know more about that engine and those CR carbs your running.

welcome, im in Sudbury. Great looking bike you have there. I would love to pick your brain on that front brake set up you have there.

Pick away !! ..:thumbsup:

Nice bike! And welcome to the site!

Do you build motors? I'd like to know more about that engine and those CR carbs your running.

No I did not build the motor .... whata ya require on the CR's ??:yikes:

No I did not build the motor .... whata ya require on the CR's ??:yikes:

How do you like them? What's done to the motor and what jetting are you using? How do they compare to Mikuni VM's? Are they picky about jetting?

You just don't see too many of them on XS650s so I was wondering if there is anything I should know about them before I buy a set?

Well as far as the front end im wondering if those are xs650 forks? if they are what disc and calipers did you use? did you require spacers? if you look at the forum "another new guy" you will see my current project. On that forum theres a list of disc that will fit the xs but of course theres spacers and caliper mounting hardware that would have to be machined. Just looking for a cost effective upgrade to the stock system. Thanks Andrew

Well as far as the front end im wondering if those are xs650 forks? if they are what disc and calipers did you use? did you require spacers? if you look at the forum "another new guy" you will see my current project. On that forum theres a list of disc that will fit the xs but of course theres spacers and caliper mounting hardware that would have to be machined. Just looking for a cost effective upgrade to the stock system. Thanks Andrew

Hey Andrew .... the front end is stock XS except for the lower triple which I made to add some strength to the little tooth picks up front....:D.

The brakes .. the rotors are from a XS850 with custom carriers I made, this was due to the rules for the class I race in. I had mounted some larger ones from MikesXS however they were not allowed (the mikesxs rotors are really a great upgrade for the cost, plus they are full floating !!). I think they are $130.00 each ...

30-3065.jpg

The calipers are Grimeca's and again on custom carriers I fabricated ...:thumbsup: you can mount just about anything providing on what you consider acceptable from a cost stand point, to me the best up grade is to replace the stock calipers with something in the dual pot range ... much better braking !!

How do you like them? What's done to the motor and what jetting are you using? How do they compare to Mikuni VM's? Are they picky about jetting?

You just don't see too many of them on XS650s so I was wondering if there is anything I should know about them before I buy a set?

The CR's are a great carb ... very expensive compared to the Mikuni round slides .. They work fantastic through the complete range. I had a friend dyno the bike in order to get them set up correctly (about 2 hours of mucking about). I will tell you they are a pain in the ass to get off and on the bike, but the beauty is you can change jetting and needle position with them on the bike .. bonus !!. I will be building another street bike this winter and will use the Mikuni's, just based on cost and they are a wonderful replacement carb for the XS, stock or modified..

Engine ... Wiseco 750 kit / Mega Cycle cam / Adjustable cam sprocket / HD racing valve springs / Elephant feet hardened rockers / Ported head / stainless valves / corello rods / Undercut gears in the transmission / clutch spring mod .... I think that just about covers it ....:bike:

^^ Thanks for the info! I really appreciate it.

Sounds like you have a hell of a motor. Got any pictures or videos of racing?

Back