Newcomer, New rider, First Restore!

JDAMS

XS650 Member
Reaction score
The name is James, and I'm from Wisconsin. My brother in law recently "gifted" me an old bike he had laying around in his garage. Here she is:
full

Not much to look at but as my first bike I'm completely blind to her "unique beauty" (that's what my wife calls it). I've got all winter to work on it, and will hopefully have it ready for my first ride come April next year. I've been creeping around the site for a couple weeks now and have been blown away with the awesome stuff on here.

Let me know if you'd like to see more pics, or where I should post my progress.

Welcome. Pics, pics, pics! And right here is where you document your build. Use a decent camera and one day, when it's on the road (notice I didn't say "done") you will be really glad you documented the build.

wow James ...:yikes:
It could almost be worth being married to have a BIL like that !

Mmm on second thoughts maybe not lol:doh:

Thats a fantastic bike to start with you lucky so and so.

We are going to want to see a blow by blow account of your work on the bike with plenty of pictures .:thumbsup::D

@650Skull Yes it's an 81H Special II.

I checked out the gas tank and it's not looking so good. What do you recommend? Cleaning kit, Metal Rescue, Bolt and Nut wash w/ CLR, or just get a new tank?
full

Here's some more pics to wet your appetites:
full

full

Petcock was seized up so I took it out. It looks okay right? :laugh:

full

Now to take out the dead battery, air filters, and get that carb off.:thumbsup:

Four gallons of vinegar for the gas tank. Someone mentioned Metal Restore. I have not tried it so I cannot recommend it.

Alrighty... Got some work done today. Got the air filters off, got a new gas tank w/ petcock, got the carbs off, took off the headlight bowl, drained the oil, pulled the plugs, and opened up the left side of the case. Here's some pics:

The new gas tank. Ebay $80 + $18 shipping.
full

Inside the new tank. Major improvement.
full

Beginning the carb break-down:
full

Needle and diagphram? I have no idea what I'm doing.
full

Special candy orange paint job inside my float bowl :wtf:
full

I'm thinking about getting new carbs. What do you think?
full

Headlight bowl removed = Wiring rat's nest.:yikes:
full

The bowl itself. I wouldn't eat out of it.
full

The oil plug sludge.
full

The plugs (both look like this)
full

Inside the case. Add new chain and stator to the list of parts. Hello mikes?
full

I got all this stuff off and gave the kickstarter a couple of good pumps and far as I can tell the engine isn't seized up. First good sign since I parked it. Going to order new carbs on friday, install a new battery, oil and plugs, mount the tank and see if it turns over.

Let me know what you guys think I can get away with in the mean time. I'd also like to know how to ID my carbs so that I get the right replacements.

Thanks for the welcomes and support.:thumbsup:

blimey! that sure is a tale of woe. .....

Thanks for the heads up:wink2:

Why not just rebuild those carbs?
All of your pics show normal stuff for a bike that's sat for a while. None of it is a deal breaker. Petcock can be rebuilt, etc.

The original tank....is that some sort of liner or just flash rust? I've had very good luck using The Works toilet bowl cleaner method to save quite a few tanks.

@peanut & 650Skull thanks for those links.

@scott s I'd rebuild the carbs I'm just not sure how to get the rust out without damaging the brass peices. That yellowish tint is because the PO tried to use some tank cleaning kit on it.

Soak the carbs in some hot water and simple green. Use an old toothbrush and/or a soft bristled brass brush, compressed air and carb cleaner. You should be able to save them. Just rinse them really well with water after removing from Simple Green solution, as it can discolor and keep etching the metal. Otherwise, it's safe for rubber parts, etc.

Alright well I've decided that I love the XS650 and this great community, but unfortunately my local laws prevent me from titling the bike. As such, I have decided to go ahead and part it out.

Sales thread:
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?p=216946#post216946

I'm hoping to get around $600 to $800 total (or as close as I can get) to buy one for sale locally with a clean title.

Thanks for your support and advice. Hope to see you soon.

wow that was sudden ! still looking at the condition of some of the parts it might be the best route to go to be brutally honest . I think you would have found that bike a bottomless pit for money .

Good luck selling the bits.

Back