Newer style wide wheels and tires

rokcrlr

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was wonder if anyone has put newer style wide wheels and tires on their XS's? I'm getting parts together to build a street tracker mixing old with new, GXSR forks , and PE400 swingarm ,and was wondering if a wider wheels can be relaced to the stock hubs. I have a DRZ400sm and I believe the rear wheel is like 4" wide with 150-70-17 tire.front is 3" wheel with the wider tire. I think this would make a cool bike, but was wondering if anyone has done this and if so what problems did they run into. I can do any fabbing that needs done as I have all metal working equipment I should require,lathe,mill , welding, etc.
I suppose I could maybe use the rear wheel from the PE easier.

Since a 140/90-16 rubs the swingarm on the stock setup, you are in for a huge amount of work to make it happen. I'm sure someone that knows more than me will chime in, but there may be issues with how close the chain runs to the tire as well.

What the hell is a PE 400?

SteveXS.jpeg

Older KTM supermoto wheels, I think the rear is a 4.5" other than 520 chain with the sprocket offset to the inside, no mods needed. Damn I wish I hadn't sold those to Steve!

Since a 140/90-16 rubs the swingarm on the stock setup, you are in for a huge amount of work to make it happen. I'm sure someone that knows more than me will chime in, but there may be issues with how close the chain runs to the tire as well.

What the hell is a PE 400?

I believe they are the enduro model to a suzuki RD400, Have read where the swingarm was an easy swap

Back