Newer Swingarm on Older Model

MplsMurr

1973 TX650
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

As the title reads, I am looking at installing a newer (1974-1984 models) swingarm with bracing on my 1973 TX650. I want to do this for better support and handeling, but also because my 130/90 tire seems to rub on the right side of the current swingarm. However, this seems to have only rubbed off the bristle-like material on the dimples.

Here is the ebay link to JoeWiseGuy's package ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-XS650-bla...ash=item5b162e282c:g:yBwAAOSwMmBVvDLd&vxp=mtr )

I am wondering, mainly hoping, that the package will be a direct blot-on fit. However, I did speak with him and he informed me that I would need a late model axle (a bit longer) to work with his package. He also said that I might need to add some washers to work as spacers.

I just don't know if it's worth the $250-$300, unless there is a better option. Such as fitting a TX750 swingarm on my TX650.

I would like any inputs on this subject.

The 70-73 swing arms use thinner axle plates than the later, thus you need a 74 up axle.
Other than that it should be a straight up swap.
The later swing arms are a bit longer also, I think about an inch or 1 1/2 inches.
The TX 750 swing arm is the same as the later swing arms but uses larger diameter tubing. Also a straight up swap.
As far as cost I think either option is about the same.
Leo

The swing arm is the same width at the pivot. The only changes were to the axle plates and length.
They made a lot of changes to the frame to stiffen it. The sing arm was a small part of these changes. If you look at a frame pic of an early bike and one for a later bike you can see the differences. More cross bracing at the upper rear shock mounts. Relocated the lower engine mount bolt from through the frame to above the frame. The doubled tubes coming down from the steering head are longer. These are just a few I remember of the top of my head.
Leo

Thank you everyone.

I don't think I am in the market for a chain guard, but I know those are different from the TX650.

I have added three crossbrace bars/tubes to under my seat, after I had cut the rear loop off.

I would like a sturdier swingarm, as stated, so from what I under stand I can directly bolt up a 74+ or a TX750 swingarm if I have the axle and axle plates.

Also, thanks TwoMany, I had no idea that 74+ had left/right adjusters.

I will compare prices for these items, but thinking of it now, it might just be easier/cheaper for me to send my TX650 swingarm to JoeWiseGuy for bracing and get the bronze bushings.

My tire turns towards and rubs on the swingarm just a hair, enough to worry me. I think I might need a new bolt since it looks worn/bad.

Any ideas on my situation?

Back