Next project?

The swept back pipe was made popular on the BSA GoldStar of the early 60's

BSA_GOLD_STAR_MOTORCYCLE.jpg

I had an SR500 for many years, finally sold it a few years ago. It was my "around town" local ride up until I got my first 650 going. The SR was really too small for me (6 ft. about 200 lbs). I couldn't get it over 80 and thought there was something wrong with it, lol. Then a buddy of mine who also had one took it for a spin. He's just a little guy, maybe 165 lbs, and he zipped it right up to 90 or 95. When he got back, he said there's nothing wrong with it, I'm just too big for it. And he was right, with only maybe 35HP, it wasn't big and powerful enough. They're also quite light so don't ride that well. Big bumps toss them all over because they aren't heavy enough to soak them up instead. Enter my 650 ...... with another 10 or 15HP, and another 20 or so pounds, this bike is perfect. Heavy enough to ride well, but not too heavy, and with adequate power.

My SR500.jpg

I took the SR off the road and replaced it with the 650 back in 2005. If I knew back then what I know now, I probably could have made it better. I had geared it up when I 1st got it, going up one tooth on the countershaft sprocket. After playing around with gearing on the 650, I realize now that I geared it too high. If I still had it, I'd go back to the stock front sprocket and reduce the rear by a tooth or two instead. That would gear it up slightly, just not as much as that front sprocket change did. I'd also do a spoke wheel conversion. I already had the wheels to do it (XS650 front, XT500 rear), I just never got around to it.

I had an SR500 for many years, finally sold it a few years ago. It was my "around town" local ride up until I got my first 650 going. The SR was really too small for me (6 ft. about 200 lbs). I couldn't get it over 80 and thought there was something wrong with it, lol. Then a buddy of mine who also had one took it for a spin. He's just a little guy, maybe 165 lbs, and he zipped it right up to 90 or 95. When he got back, he said there's nothing wrong with it, I'm just too big for it. And he was right, with only maybe 35HP, it wasn't big and powerful enough. They're also quite light so don't ride that well. Big bumps toss them all over because they aren't heavy enough to soak them up instead. Enter my 650 ...... with another 10 or 15HP, and another 20 or so pounds, this bike is perfect. Heavy enough to ride well, but not too heavy, and with adequate power.

View attachment 260395

I took the SR off the road and replaced it with the 650 back in 2005. If I knew back then what I know now, I probably could have made it better. I had geared it up when I 1st got it, going up one tooth on the countershaft sprocket. After playing around with gearing on the 650, I realize now that I geared it too high. If I still had it, I'd go back to the stock front sprocket and reduce the rear by a tooth or two instead. That would gear it up slightly, just not as much as that front sprocket change did. I'd also do a spoke wheel conversion. I already had the wheels to do it (XS650 front, XT500 rear), I just never got around to it.
Good intel on this bike. Thx. Around here there seem to be quite a few Savages but I don’t recall seeing many SR500’s. Time is on my side so I’ll keep an eye open over the next couple of months.

I hear you on weight vs performance. I’m no lightweight (just short for my weight - lol) and keep that in mind when reading about the performance of other peoples bikes.

I've always liked the little 'zuki thumper. Modern tech, counterbalanced crank in a retro looking engine.... what's not to like.
If I was lookin' to make a little cafe thumper, it'd be at the top of my list as the canvas.

1706148720437.png

Last edited:
I've always liked the little 'zuki thumper. Modern tech, counterbalanced crank in a retro looking engine.... what's not to like.
If I was lookin' to make a little cafe thumper, it'd be at the top of my list as the canvas.

View attachment 260403
I just watched a video on YouTube about the company that builds this kit (RYCA). I’m not sure how old the vid was, but at the time it aired, thr cost of the kit was over $2600.00. For that you get a seat, relaced 18” (your) rear wheel, they shorten your fuel tank, side covers. I also believe they supply the rear sets. I’m not sure about guages and exhaust. So all in I figure just south of $5K and that’s usd so this may be a bit on the speedy side for me.

Cool looking bike though.😎

Yeah, I'd do my own flavor anyway, but I think that outfit folded not long after they started... 'bout 3 or 4 yrs ago iirc.

There are a few Savage and SR 500 cafe racer sites around if you google. The Continental 535 is a beautiful looking bike and my first pic. Problem is, there is nothing you can do to it to make it look better.

Yeah, I'd do my own flavor anyway, but I think that outfit folded not long after they started... 'bout 3 or 4 yrs ago iirc.
Looks like they’re still in business but are no longer supplying kits and parts for the Savage.

Back