Nice "vintage" gloves tip...

TeeCat

One-Mik Wonder
Reaction score
Greets, all...

I still need to replace the "shortie" armored black leather track gloves that I wear when I ride my quarter-liter Ninja, as the left one developed an irreparable split in the palm. But for riding the TX, I found a great pair of "vintage"-type gloves for about $18! I got them at Ace Hardware. They're fleece lined goatskin. Interestingly, they look as if they could have been sold with the jacket that I wear on the TX.

pACE3-1040420dt.jpg

2011-River-Road-Roadster-Vintage-Leather-Jacket-Black.jpg

I also like the split leather panel across the area that will receive the most wear, which is where the other ones split. I'll still pick up another black armored pair of shorties, though.

TC

A nice find. I think David Hough recommends light colored gloves, due to their being best for hand signals. Now if the jacket below it was just available at hardware store prices....

A nice find. I think David Hough recommends light colored gloves, due to their being best for hand signals. Now if the jacket below it was just available at hardware store prices....

You know, that's an excellent point about the light colored gloves and hand signals. I'm a little embarrassed to confess that I never actually thought about that! Despite my TX having functional indicators now, I do tend to use hand signals a fair bit.

Yeah, that jacket wasn't exactly cheap, but a good leather jacket is one of those things that can be with you for a loooooooooooong time, so I have less heartburn about paying a little more for something like that.

But for less than $20, these gloves are really stout, and will require a bit of break-in.

Afterthought: I do have Hough's book, Proficient Motorcycling. It was given to me as a gift by another rider when I got my endorsement. I'll have to revisit it!

TC

^I revisited it myself recently after a couple or three years of riding. I noticed totally new things in it then because at that point had new questions.

The gloves just need a good break in use them for yard work ect. They will have that cafe look sooner nice jacket I have one similar style vents that work back and arms. I use wells winter gloves all year round the thinsulate lineing doesn't make your hands sweat suade finished deerskin around the same color as yours when new.

Here is the info from Ace's site. I got mine locally at an Ace store, and you may be able to find them locally as well. This link is for a lined version, but there is an unlined one as well. Mine happen to be mediums, so be mindful of the size.

TC

Last edited:
No problem, DogBunny. After paying a premium for items at bike shops/dealers, we can still find some quality "period" gear at the local hammer and nail house. If I had a brain, and no scruples, I suppose I'd scarf up a gross or so of these, change the "Ace Hardware" embossed into the cuff to "Ace Cafe", stamp a club into the top, and mark them up about fourfold. :p

TC

Last edited:
I wear unlined white goat (kidskin) gardening gloves, just like the feel... as said local hardware garden supply ect. but the best deal I have found is horse saddlebags for my SR500 at the Tractor Supply $27 ballistic nylon try buy a comparable set at MC prices:laugh:

Attachments

• S6300606.jpg
    S6300606.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 227
I wear unlined white goat (kidskin) gardening gloves, just like the feel... as said local hardware garden supply ect. but the best deal I have found is horse saddlebags for my SR500 at the Tractor Supply $27 ballistic nylon try buy a comparable set at MC prices:laugh:

I like the unlined ones too... had trouble making up my mind. At $18, might pick up a pair.

Good idea on the saddlebags! Seems to me that someone here had horse bags that he adapted to a build... can't recall who. His were brown leather, though, iirc.

Nice bike, too, jayel! :)

TC

+1 on horse saddle bags, good, cheap, durable and light weight too. We had a local stitcher shorten the throw over strap as a horse has a wider ass end than an XS650...

Back