Ninja EX500 carbs on an XS650?

Removed all relivant my posts.............Peanut is argumentative, altering previous posts to suit his arguments, and questions posts when they have nothing to do with him except they might not be the same answer as his..........

Could you EX500 guys help me out I have a handle on a NOS set of carbs.

The seller has given me the jets and needle in the carbs but i cant find the needle size N62N on the jets are us Keihin carb site.
http://jetsrus.com/a_jets_by_carburetor_type/needle_keihin_N427-46.html

Last edited:
I'm not sure what the N62N needle is, Stock? If so do the swap. I have the 40 pilots in and the 138 mains, I just put in the 140 mains to see if they are different. I have the JJJ needle. Clip at #3 Can't recall if I have any shims under the clip. It runs well.
Leo

650Skull is ON this! :bow2: Should make a conversion a well documented straight forward project for any that wish to undertake it.
Thinking with it well hammered out, an XS650 conversion kit should be very a doable worthwhile project!

650Skull is ON this! :bow2: Should make a conversion a well documented straight forward project for any that wish to undertake it.
Thinking with it well hammered out, an XS650 conversion kit should be very a doable worthwhile project!
hope so G ..;)
Just unearthed the 2x sets of GPZ500 carbs I bought last year . Another back burner project .!...
My Pilots are 35 Mains 130 and needles are N36N
The fuel arrangements are a single fuel supply inlet and cross over pipe which is nice and simple.

I'm going to rig up a handlebar choke lever arrangement which is so much easier than faffing around with a lever on the carbs when warming up.It means you can fine tune the choke as you drive off from the bars.

They have a very useful extended sync screw which.makes adjustment on the bike a doddle .
I was lucky enough to score some god used BS34 inlet rubbers with vacuum takeoffs at the same time

Just got to buy some jets and needles and give them a good clean and set them up .
GPZ500 carb venturi.JPG
GPZ500 carb inlet side.JPG

This thread is about a mile long perhaps a fresh thread is in order?
I'd be up for doing a conversion, these are on the shelf, ready to start in on..
DSCN7989.JPG
DSCN7990.JPG

I for one would love to see a comprehensive conversion report.................
tim

great idea gary ...its torture wading through 40+ pages of threads to find a bit of information.
I cannot find the Pilot jet type anywhere to order some up .

I believe the Pilot jet is a N424-25B but I'd like some confirmation before I order up 4+ non-returnable jets

All needles and jets suppliers are in the links posted in those first few pages...........n

yes but USA suppliers are not much use to those of us living in Europe ;). I'm sure that the type of pilot jet is mentioned somewhere but after spending most of the afternoon wading through the first 10+ pages of posts and the rest of the net I was developing a square rear end .

Heres a link to a UK supplier of all the Keihin parts needed .
This is the cheapest UK supplier I can find of Genuine Keihin parts https://www.catalyst-findit.co.uk/i...dbb&w=900&nav=r&h=n&rpp=100&dest=listing&p=92
Keihin Jet Needle 46-JJJ £7.20 ea
Keihin jet needle clips 16115-169-0040 £2.20 ea
Keihin Pilot Jets N424-25B £4.74ea
Keihin Main Jets 99101-393 £4.11 ea

(Note Generic Main jets are available much cheaper on ebay at £2.95ea)http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brass-main-jet-Keihin-carburettors-8mm-short-type-99101-393-range-of-sizes/360796082517?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=630185966328&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Last edited:
can't find a UK outlet for Sudco ? but the Allens link are UK based and cheap with a full range of genuine Keihin parts.
I'll wade through the next 15 pages tomorrow over breakfast . Daren't watch the news atm in case half the World has dissapeared in a nuclear holocaust lol

peanut I wonder if Bridge over in Exeter could help you?
Or Bransons over in Yeovil?
At least for the jets, maybe needles?

That link i posted is the Sudco international distributor outlets..............
Great Britain

Allen's Performance Ltd

Unit B9, Moorbridg Road
Bingham, Notts
NG13 8GG England
Tel: 44-194-983-6733

It's obvious you do know how to find places............complaining about US based links that aren't UK just means a little thought and nous will overcome any problem.............................

its obvious to me that you don't read previous posts !
Otherwise you'll see that I have not only posted the CORRECT link to Allens Performance Ltd but also all the part numbers and prices for those ordering in the UK.

peanut I wonder if Bridge over in Exeter could help you?
Or Bransons over in Yeovil?
At least for the jets, maybe needles?
thanks for the suggestions WER but I have already ordered all the jets from Allen performance at very good prices .
so how come you know about Bransons ?;)

I read it and your post was added to and edited after i read it, and got the information and posted my post, with the information for you.......

I last edited my post at 11.48pm and you posted at 12.19am today . Where I come from 11.48pm yesterday generaly comes before 12.19am today ;)

Anyway the information is now there inn my detailed post with the correct link so lets not go cluttering up this excellent thread with bickering:)

hope so G ..;)
Just unearthed the 2x sets of GPZ500 carbs I bought last year . Another back burner project .!...
My Pilots are 35 Mains 130 and needles are N36N
The fuel arrangements are a single fuel supply inlet and cross over pipe which is nice and simple.

I'm going to rig up a handlebar choke lever arrangement which is so much easier than faffing around with a lever on the carbs when warming up.It means you can fine tune the choke as you drive off from the bars.

They have a very useful extended sync screw which.makes adjustment on the bike a doddle .
I was lucky enough to score some god used BS34 inlet rubbers with vacuum takeoffs at the same time

Just got to buy some jets and needles and give them a good clean and set them up .View attachment 105603View attachment 105604
The extended screw that you reference above, shown in the upper photo, sets idle speed, not carb synch. At least for me, and I have fairly long arms, it's not easy to reach when seated on the bike. The synch screw is shown in the lower photo - it is very difficult to access for adjustment with the gas tank mounted on the bike. Has anyone with these carbs on our beloved 650's figured out a way to get at it without removing the tank and rigging a temporary gas supply?

The extended screw that you reference above, shown in the upper photo, sets idle speed, not carb synch. At least for me, and I have fairly long arms, it's not easy to reach when seated on the bike. The synch screw is shown in the lower photo - it is very difficult to access for adjustment with the gas tank mounted on the bike. Has anyone with these carbs on our beloved 650's figured out a way to get at it without removing the tank and rigging a temporary gas supply?

yes your right Aldo . I didn't bother to check my carbs before writing that but I do have a spare XS carb body (possibly xs400), which does have an extended sync screw which I always intended to fit to my BS38s but never got around to it.
Seeing the extended screw on the GPZ500 Keihin carbs I assumed it was a similar sync screw.

Anyway.........i'm sure it must be simple enough to adapt a spare extended screw to fit to the sync link which would extend downwards like the idle adjust screw.

Yes there was a pic of a some carbs with an extension where it pokes out the side........I went through the thread a week ago and remember seeing it........could be in the first 10 pages or so..........sorry i cant be more specific
I think you may be referencing the throttle stop screw Kawasaki P/N 16021-1228 as shown on BikeBandit carburetor parts fiche for Kawa W650 - $68.53 but on back order. That would be trick if you could find one in a salvage yard - even if in stock, the B/B price is more than I'd want to pay for a brand new one.

yes your right Aldo . I didn't bother to check my carbs before writing that but I do have a spare XS carb body (possibly xs400), which does have an extended sync screw which I always intended to fit to my BS38s but never got around to it.
Seeing the extended screw on the GPZ500 Keihin carbs I assumed it was a similar sync screw.

Anyway.........i'm sure it must be simple enough to adapt a spare extended screw to fit to the sync link which would extend downwards like the idle adjust screw.
I dunno if the synch linkage would work correctly with a downward-pointing screw - hadn't thought of that. I guess another idea would be to replace the stock synch screw with a hex head or Allen one a couple inches longer (if such screws even exist - I haven't looked). Whether pointed up or down, it seems like that would put the point of contact for the right wrench in a more accessible spot than the stock screw. Either way, this mod should happen with the carbs off the bike, so a careful bench synch could be done first. I'm not familiar with how these carbs are accessed on EX500's/GPZ500's - must be open access from above after removing the seat or some piece of bodywork. I hadn't even thought about how to access the stock synch screw before installing these carbs on my 650 - it starts and runs well, but I'd like to be able to dial in the synch really tight to minimize vibration. One of these days, gggGary is gonna try these carbs - maybe he could give this some thought aforehand. So far, the only downside to this mod that I've found is the "between the carbs" throttle cable and synch screw access.

I So far, the only downside to this mod that I've found is the "between the carbs" throttle cable and synch screw access.

yes I wasn't really aware of this before buying them but I'm sure there will be a way of modifying the throttles to accept an external adjust screw I'll take a look at them when I get back off holiday.
The sync screw will work fine with the screw pointing either way.

Back