NKG Iridium Spark Plugs (BPR7EIX)

BadMoto

XS650 Dummy
Reaction score
Hi Folks,
Quick one. Will NKG Iridium Spark Plugs (BPR7EIX) work for 1983 XS650? or are there any plug size or bike year restrictions? Thanks in advance.

Yes, but I don't think they are worth the money. When I tried them I got them locally for around $7 each. I now use Autolite AP63's for about $5 a pair. They run just as well and cost much less.
Leo

I have NGK plug caps. Using AutoLite AP63 shouldn't be a problem rite? Coz its not the exact cross reference....

I got a complimentary pair of iridiums from my pamco order. Only sparks plugs to not foul on me, of course when I swapped them in I also did some carb adjustments, either or really.

I was also curious and got a pair of the autolites, it didn't seem like the threads were the same...

I've always just used the recommended plain jane regular NGKs and never had any problems. They're cheap and readily available, about $2 each at most of the auto parts stores around me. I swap them out regularly about every 4K miles. I don't feel $4 is too much to spend every four thousand miles. For me that's only once every year or two. By then I can usually detect some wear on them. It's not easy unless you know what to look for. Looking at one plug by itself won't readily show it. You need to compare the used one side by side to a brand new plug. They burn very clean and the edges on the electrodes remain sharp, so they always seem to look good. But, what happens is the center electrode gradually wears shorter. You can usually see this in a side by side comparison but won't notice it looking at one plug by itself.

I've found this old engine design and the wimpy stock points ignition is tough on plugs. While I still had points, I would sometimes see plug wear in as little as 3K miles. Now with my Pamco, it's better, but not much, lol. I always keep spare plugs on the shelf, obviously for replacement in case one craps out or fouls, but just as much to provide me with a comparison "tool" for checking the wear on my current plugs.

I learned about this form of plug wear many years ago on one of my BMWs. I took a trip to a weekend rally a couple states away. On the way home, the bike seemed to struggle and strain a bit at highway speeds. When I got home of course the first thing I did was pull the plugs. They looked just fine, as always. Then I checked my maintenance log and saw those plugs had been in there for nearly 10K miles. I compared them to new ones and was amazed how much shorter the center electrode had worn down on the old ones. I installed new plugs, took a test ride, and the strained highway cruising was cured. So, since then I don't push my plugs much past 4 or 5K in any of my bikes. Sure, they still function, but not as well as new ones.

Bikes are hard on plugs, at least the old bikes. The center electrode has sharp edges when new. These edges round from erosion and make it difficult for a spark to jump on old plugs. Even more critical with weak, low voltage coils.

Iridium plugs should last longer and the tiny center electrode should make the spark easier to jump. Denso (ND?) has an iridium plug with an even smaller center electrode, .04mm compared to .06mm. Also the small iridium electrode does not quench the initial flame kernal as much as a standard electrode.

Tom

Last edited:
...Iridium plugs should last longer and the tiny center electrode should make the spark easier to jump. Denso (ND?) has an iridium plug with an even smaller center electrode, .04mm compared to .06mm. Also the small iridium electrode does not quench the initial flame kernal as much as a standard electrode...

ND even claims that their new Iridium alloy keeps the electrode cleaner.
p10-2.jpg

Warning, there's fakes out there.
Free-shipping-DENSO-POWER-IRIDIUM-spark-plug-5304-IK20-MADE-IN-JAPAN-4PCS-LOT-Suitable-for.jpg

Bikes are hard on plugs, at least the old bikes. The center electrode has sharp edges when new. These edges round from erosion and make it difficult for a spark to jump on old plugs. Even more critical with weak, low voltage coils.

Iridium plugs should last longer and the tiny center electrode should make the spark easier to jump. Denso (ND?) has an iridium plug with an even smaller center electrode, .04mm compared to .06mm. Also the small iridium electrode does not quench the initial flame kernal as much as a standard electrode.

Tom
Something else to consider. Anyone using a "lost spark" ignition, such as the stock TCI, and Pamco, spark is emitted from the centre
electrode on one plug and from the ground electrode on the other plug. Metal erodes from the part of the plug, where the electrons are emitted. So with iridium plugs, one plug will be eroding from the ordinary metal used on the ground electrode. One plug will be wearing down just as quickly as regular inexpensive plugs, and one plug will not be wearing much at all. In order to get value for expensive iridium plugs, it would be clever to swap the plugs over from one cylinder to the other, each season. Doing that, means the plugs would last almost forever, with the low use most XS650s receive.

I use the NGK BP7ES plugs and find they work extremely well for me. Last summer, I found I was getting about 58 mpg fuel economy on plugs that I have been using for 8 years and 16,000 kms (about 10,000 miles). I'm just now looking at them under a magnifying glass, and see only minor erosion, so I'll keep on using them.

Yes, Iridium spark plugs are very long lasting. I removed one spark plug from my Toyota Camry V6 engine, just to inspect it for wear.
At 79,000 kms it looked to be in good condition. They are rated for 160,000 kms (about 100,000 miles), and I believe they will do that.
It's a Denso SK20R11. Here's a picture of the plug with 79,000 kms ( 1/2 its life used up):

Camry at 79000 km.jpg

I dropped two BPR7EIX NGK Iridium plugs in my 75B today, performance was enhanced noticeably. I did 50 k's on the NGK BP7ES which were pretty new, stopped the bike, and changed them over, did the same route (50 k's) to keep it as much the same as i could.
What was noticeable was the extra hp, not much but really noticeable, more torque, so at $25.00 each, the value lies in the fuel I suppose, but it's nice to have a little more hp.
I did try to index the plugs so that the grounding electrode was pointing to the inlet, unfortunately i was 180 out, on both, so they are pointing exactly the same in both jugs. I did read here on the forum you can buy indexing washers, but we are talking about a 42-43 year old engine be it a rebuilt one....so i might just leave it and see how they go...

Mick

Mick...................Iridium plugs are very good for the fact that they will last a long time. However if the electrode tip is the only part that is iridium, then you want to have the negative polarity from your coil going to the electrode tip, and not the grounding strap. The wear occurs at the part that is negative. If you connect the negative from the coil to the grounding strap then the grounding strap will wear away at the same rate as any cheaper spark plug.

So, if your 75B is still using the stock 2 coils system ( not Lost Spark,) you may have one or both coils wired such that the plugs are connected having the ground strap as negative, which means you lose the benefit of the long lasting iridium metal.
You should do a test and if necessary change the wiring of the ignition coil primary to give a negative polarity to the centre electrode.

Iridium plugs may give slightly better gas consumption. Could a HP or torque increase be seen on a dynomometer.....................I strongly doubt it. Indexing plugs, giving improved performance, is just a myth, that hot rodders like to talk about while consuming large quantities of beer :D

Another thing, at lest from my experience, would be to get the bike tuned with standard plugs before switching to the Iridiums.
now, I'm running the 'KungFu' coil from 650Central (MikesXS sells it, too) with MSD 8mm metal wires, and gapped to over .055" ; that's a hot spark. It's actually hard to tune the thing 'cuz it will light off nearly any mixture that will burn.

tune with regular-ass cheap coppers

TM, I did read that

RG checked the polarity and its all good, negative like you say, didn't consume any beers either, will check the fuel consumption, but we have crap weather over the past couple of days and work is getting in the way of any pleasurable activities.....so it might be the weekend before i get to go for a long ride, the short test i did, did prove that in the short term there is a noticeable difference, which is good in my mind due to the fact that I've spend hard earned cash on something that i would normally pass of as snake oil....

Back