no access to the site for 24 hours ?

peanut

XS650 enthusiast & inveterate tinkerer
Top Contributor
Reaction score
has there been any faults on the sit in the past 24 hours ?

I have'nt been able to log on or even reach any page on the xs650.com website ? I just kept getting '404 page not found ' messages

I tried emailing the site and same result messges were returned undelivered with a 550 message
'Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

info@xs650.com

Technical details of permanent failure:
Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the server for the recipient domain xs650.com by xs650.com. [64.64.0.158].

The error that the other server returned was:
550 No such person at this address

The only change that I have made to my pc was a moment ago I turned my AVG anti-virus on and immediately was able to access the site ?
Is that a coincidence or is there something screwy with AVG ?:confused:

Had the issue with chrome mid morning but firefox got through after I started at the home page. Chrome went back to working later in the morning. I was VERY afraid.....

Yeah that was me. I had to change the IP address for the site and that can take a little while to propagate. Sometimes it's just a matter of minutes, but sometimes it can take a few hours. Your ISP can cache DNS records for a long time and so can your computer.

Peanut, your computer's DNS cache is probably why were seeing the 404 error for so long. The following is from: http://docs.cpanel.net/twiki/bin/view/AllDocumentation/ClearingBrowserCache
If you encounter a large number of HTML 404 error codes, you may need to clear your DNS cache. Once you clear your DNS cache, your computer will query nameservers for the new DNS information.

To make it worse, browsers can cache the website default page, so while the site is actually up and running again, your browser keeps showing you that the site isn't available. That's why it will work in one browser and not the one you normally use. Clearing your browser's cache usually works.

peanut, there is no email address [noparse]info@xs650.com so that's why it bounced. The main email for the site is admin@xs650.com. I should probably create info@xs650.com, support@xs650.com, and webmaster@xs650.com and forward them to admin@xs650.com. admin@xs650.com used to be a catch-all account, but everything I've read says that's a bad idea for spam reasons.[/noparse]

thank you Travis for that detailed reply, much appreciated. Thanks to that I now understand completely what was happening.

I did come across the suggestion to clear DNS cache but as I wasn't sure how that would effect all the other sites I need like Banks and IRS and Companies House etc I daren't risk it.

Anyway all back to normal now and I'm getting my XS daily fix again :thumbsup:

Back