No Electric Start when Bike is Cold

akira

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Just picked up a 78 xs650 with 9k miles. Bike is great.

Having an issue with the electronic start when the bike is cold. I live in SanDiego California, so it's not "cold" temps. I turn the ignition key on to the center position and push the electric start button with no result. If I use the kickstarter, the bike fires up and then the electric start works after that no problem. Electric start also works anytime after the bike is warmed up.

I also noticed when the bike is cold (when the electric start isn't working)...if I turn the ignition key to the 3rd position park, there is light pop sound from the starter area. Have not been able to pinpoint the sound yet.

Any help or feedback is appreciated!
unnamed_zpslyu4w7yh.jpg

Wow what a beauty! Would suspect a bad connection somewhere, I'd start with the ground strap and all the heavy plus cables. Look for loose and corrosion, remove clean retighten every bolt wiggle all cable ends. also handlebar and headlight shell grounds the starter button grounds the blue white wire from the solenoid through the bars then a ground wire to the headlight shell, back to the engine, frame.

Suspect solenoid or starter button has dirty, weak connections, or a solenoid on its last leg or a dirty weak connection in the ignition switch. When it is cold and not working jump the two large wire terminals on the solenoid with a screwdriver, sparks will fly and if the starter turns that will rule out the problem being the starter.

Nice looking bike, looks like '70's "show room" condition. Does it have 2" over forks or has it just been lowered about two inches in the front? Because, forks should be just barely above that top triple tree clamp.

I test rode a GoldWing once with one fork about that far up and the other clamped in the normal position, sure did wobble, I bought it.

Scott

Last edited:
Good looking bike!

Could be a few things, but try bypassing the starter solenoid and see if the starter spins freely with direct power. (get a jumper wire from the + side of the battery down to the starter motor positive bolt under the bike) Might be some oil has gotten into the starter motor and won't spin until it's warm?

Suspect solenoid or starter button has dirty, weak connections, or a solenoid on its last leg or a dirty weak connection in the ignition switch. When it is cold and not working jump the two large wire terminals on the solenoid with a screwdriver, sparks will fly and if the starter turns that will rule out the problem being the starter.

Nice looking bike, looks like '70's "show room" condition. Does it have 2" over forks or has it just been lowered about two inches in the front? Because, forks should be just barely above that top triple tree clamp.

I test rode a GoldWing once with one fork about that far up and the other clamped in the normal position, sure did wobble, I bought it.

Scott

Not sure about the forks. Just picked this up and will be identifying if forks are 2 over etc. Overall, the bike funs great and is very clean!

Are you putting the choke on when cold starting? Cold start has nothing to do with the ambient temperature but whether it's been running or not.

Yes, choke is on. I was only referring to ambient temp to reference the I wasn't anywhere with freezing temps.

Bike fires right up with kickstart, just no power to the electric starter at the button on the controls.

Going to pull the controls and make sure all contacts are clean and that the handlebars don't have any paint remaining where the controls mount. Did not realize the handlebars were the ground for the starter button

Ok, The starter draws a lot of current to spin the engine. When the bike is cold this draw can lower the battery voltage to a point the ignition won't fire the plugs strong enough to start the engine.
Often you will notice that it won't start as you are cranking the engine but starts just as you release the start button. At this point the engine is still spinning from the starter but the starter draw has stopped, so the battery voltage jumps up enough the plugs fire stronger.
I might suggest fully charging the battery and take it to a place that sells batteries and get it load tested. You may have a weak battery.
Another thing, if you are still running the original coils or even new stock coils they don't put out much spark energy. Some around 8 to 10,000 volts, just enough to fire the plugs. Upgrading to a hotter coil, some where in the 20-30,000 volt range will greatly improve starting and running.
One the forks some people raise the tubes like that to quicken the steering. Usually only a 1/2 to 3/4 in is enough. To much the steering can get twitchy.
Leo

Back