No lights

tshadow6

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I have a new battery, but no lights. I have zero electric knowledge. I've tested the battery, it is good. Where should I start looking for the problem? I just want to get this bike (1978 XS 650) started.

Is the bike a Standard or a Special? If its a Special, the stock 4 position fuse holders, using glass fuses, are worn out and cause lots of problems. If you have them, replace them with automotibe blade type fuse holders.

Have you checked the main 20 amp fuse,as asked about earlier?

Also check the battery cables for corrosion, causing poor contact to bare metal.

Is it possible to cut and crimp the auto blade type fuse holders in? I do not want to solder anything if I don't have too. The glass fuse holders do feel too loose. Thank you for the help. I really want to get this bike started.

Looked at the other thread to which Retiredgentleman referred, and the pictures you posted (perhaps you can repost them in this thread). I don't believe fuses are the problem. Looks like a haphazard job of electrical repair by I assume the previous owner, cut and splice with whatever was available. For example the wire going to the negative terminal of the battery is definitely too small a gauge and who knows if it is even grounded to the frame. I'm guessing you have a '78 special, '78 SE. Here's a link to the wiring diagrams in the Tech section http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61
Scroll down to post #7, you'll find your model second row, second from the left.

Also, here's a link to well written explanation of how the electrical system works, by XSLeo http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9625
If you don't have them yet, a multimeter and cheap continuity tester will be an important addition to your tool box.
I have also attached a picture of a replacement fuse box being sold on eBay, so you can see what color wires on your fuse arrangement correspond to the electrical components of the bike. The main fuse is a 20, all the rest are 10s.

Attachments

• DSCF2038.jpg
    DSCF2038.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 193
Back