No Tach cable

wjbarber

XS650 Beginner
Reaction score
I can't find anything on t'interweb regarding deleting the Tach cable and not sure if I'm going down the wrong road with this but...

...I've bought a new digital speedo with RPM and tacho etc, to replace the old setup and have a Universal speedo adapter to convert to digital, but have been advised to wrap the tacho wire round the spark wire to get a tach reading (I have a Boyer fitted and not sure if this is the correct way, if anyone can advise). Also, if i delete the old tach cable, doesn't that mean i can't keep the oil pump going? :shrug: What are the options fellas?

Ta
Will

To remove the taxh cable, you just unscrew the tach cable at the engine.
If you want to remove the tach drive from the engine you will need to remove the right side cover to properly do this.
Some just pull the shaft out without removing the cover. There is a spacer on the bottom of the shaft that needs to be removed along with the shaft. Removing any of the tach drive has no effect on the oil pump. The oil pump is gear driven from the crank shaft. On the oil pump drive shaft are two gears, one is driven by the engine, the other drives the tach.
Leo

Thanks XSLeo, just realised on looking at my thread how stupid my question about the oil pump is :wtf: Because my engine is at the garage and i'm cleaning the casings i've not thought, but there i go making excuses for my numbnuts question.

On the point about the wire wrapped around the spark lead, will that work with a Boyer kit and do i really need a RPM signal filter on it?

Will

I have no idea on that. The instructions that come with your new digital speedo/tach should give you the best options on how to hook it up.
The Boyer uses a dual output coil, If your new tach tells you that wrapping the sensor wire around the plug wire work then try it.
Leo

Hi wjbarber,
all you need to do with the tach is remove the cable. You can buy a fancy cover that threads onto the tach drive cable connector just for the looks of it.
Your generic E-tach will most likely have options to cope with the ignition characteristics of whatever machine it's hooked up to.

Back