Nolan N100 shield removal

happydaze

John
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to remove the shield on a Nolan N100 helmet? I was not able to find any video or user manual for this particular model, and I'd like to replace the shield. It may or may not be the same as the N100E.

Thanks

nope. but when I bought my ikon helmet, I wanted a smoked instead of the clear it came with. The directions were clear and straight forward, but as I did it, it was so tight, I thought I broke it when it finally went. So...it my not be obvious, but employ your engineering mind, and really study how it was made. A scratched screen sucks.
I like the look of the nolans flip lids. but they look heavy. are they?

The weight really varies from one helmet to another. For example, the Nolan N104evo Como weighs 7 pounds, but the N104evo MCS weighs only 4 pounds (according to the Nolan web site).

The SHOEI RF-1200 boasts "Compact – Lightweight - Aerodynamic Design" but I could not find any mention of how much it weighs on their web site or in the owners manual.

On my postage scale (which may or may not be 100% accurate), the Nolan N100 weighs 3 pounds 10.4 ounces, and the SHOEI RF-1200 weighs 3 pounds 7.9 ounces.

Personally I think that if my face were to hit the road a flip up helmet would not withstand the impact as well as a rigid helmet, but that is just me guessing, not based on any scientific evidence.

thanks. was just curious.
im a welder, and wear a hood all day, 6 days a week, so im used to some weight on my head.
did you figure it out? didn't you just get that lid? (stupid helmet tricks)

I have had the Nolan N100 for several years, although I don't remember exactly when I got it. It has always been stored indoors and I am a fair weather rider. I just bought the SHOEI RF-1200 yesterday.

My plan right now is to sell the Nolan helmet. The interior pads can be replaced and they are still available. The clear shield is also still available as well as smoked and mirrored shields. The shell has minor wear and tear (surface scratches) but nothing major. So, if somebody wants a helmet cheap, they can replace the pads and shield and have a decent helmet IMO. BTW it is size Large if you are interested.

I haven't tried again to get the shield off. I can see a white button on each side and they seem to be the key to it. The helmet was originally silver but it started peeling (mentioned in another post). I was able to get most of the silver off by grabbing it where it was peeling and simply pulling the finish off with my hands, and scraping it with my finger nail in stubborn spots. I did not use any chemicals or tools. It still has some traces of silver on it. I got most of it off but I don't want to put a lot of time into it since I don't plan to keep it or get a ton of money for it. The top vent piece was not peeling so I left the silver on it.

I would keep it and replace the pads myself but I don't really have a reason to keep a spare helmet. I never have a passenger when I ride.

Here's a pic.

Nolan-N100-helmet.jpg

Yeah grrr on shields. Can't count how many of the Shoei plastic pivot screws I lost. I agree on full face even wearing glasses weight, strength, and noise, IMHO more seams equal more noise. Seriously considering one of these.
http://www.quietridehelmets.com/

Ear ringing is nearly forcing me to wear something like that, or stop riding!

Those look interesting and they are certainly cheaper than the SHOEI that I just bought. The carbon fiber full face helmet says it weighs 3.5 lbs. The fiberglass one does not specify the weight. I notice that they are DOT approved but not SNELL.

I see Nolan N100 helmets used on ebay ranging from $35 to $150, so if anybody here wants it, $35 + shipping takes it. Remember that I would suggest replacing the interior pads, which you can buy from Nolan for $35, and the shield, which you can buy for $25. So, you'd have a decent spare helmet for under $100.

Back