Non eye to eye style shocks

whisky

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Have a set of shocks that are not eye to eye style, they have one circular mount but the other end is forked. How would I go about mounting a shock like this?
Thanks

Put it on a Honda where it belongs?

I don't think there is a reasonable way to use a fork type shock mount unless you grind off the stock swingarm mounts and weld on a bracket that fits a fork mount shock. Your shocks would have to be spectacular to be worth that effort.

Sounds like you have got a pair of shocks for a Honda.....The best would be to sell them, and by a correct pair with the cash.
If you really, really want to use them, and if the forked end is not too wide, then a spacer inside the "fork", and a floating bushing through the fork and spacer, then the whole assembly inside the mount on the XS swing arm may work. (Assuming the lower end has the forked attachment)

Aw, come on, gggGary and arctic, Opie can get those CLEVIS ends attached easier than that! Just bolt a nice chunk of heavy steel in the shock mount on the swingarm and bolt the CLEVIS end of the shock to it. Of course there'll be unsprung weight added in an area where it hurts most and there's the little issue of ride height, but who worries about that kind of minor detail? Fork it, right?

grizld,
Not saying I would use H*nda shocks on my XS, in fact I bought new Hagons, used them for almost one summer, before bying a pair of Ohlins shocks. And my suggestion was based on if "he really, really wants to use them"
At least, even H*nda shocks must be way better than a hardtail ;)
(knowing we share opinions regarding hardtailing, open pipes etc........)

another way is to find/make a set of lowering blocks for that type of shock which also helps if you have ducks syndrome :D

Hey arctic, hope you know I was kidding!

Yep, it doesn't get better than Ohlins. I have one of their double-clickers on my SV650 Suzuki, and it's worth every penny of the price. On the XS I use a pair of custom made Works Performance alloy body shocks; no regrets there either, they really get it done.

Back