Noob drum brake question (I searched...)

miketweedie

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I did a search and didn't find anything. I already have my flame suit on, so I'm ready for ridicule, but all my previous drum experience has been with vintage VW hydraulic drums so this new to me.

On the rear drum, can the actuator arm work in either direction? I know it should pull, and it will, but with the actuator rod alignment in my hardtail it would be much easier to run it above the axle and thus rotate clockwise (the wrong way). Applying hand pressure, it seems to work, but I am not sure if that's ok.

Its an '81 XS650, mag drum rear wheel.

Thanks in advance.

yes will work both ways on the later bikes, It's not quite exactly the same but close enough.
But won't work on the early rear drums, the early cam was not designed to work backwards.

And by early ones, we mean the very early brake cam used on the '70 to '73 models .....

hWi5STC.jpg

I've seen a couple of customs in here running the rear brake thataway, above the axle. But, I wouldn't recommend that. The tension from the brake rod will add torque to the backing plate, and increase tension on the brake stay, reverse of the proper loading...

I've seen a couple of customs in here running the rear brake thataway, above the axle. But, I wouldn't recommend that. The tension from the brake rod will add torque to the backing plate, and increase tension on the brake stay, reverse of the proper loading...
The Brits built a lot with the arm on top and the stay on the bottom.
upload_2020-5-31_19-26-4.png

Back