Not a 650, but interesting

weaselbeak

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
For 100 bucks, I picked up an 82 750 with only 11K showing. Got it all up to snuff, tires, carbs and all that. It had sat for 12 years, shedded. The starter cranked over, but was slow and sounded like death itself. Not the normal box of rocks, just really dry bearings. It would obviously take a new starter. Since I couldn't do any damage to a junk starter getting replaced anyway, I pulled a fast one. I drilled a small hole right where I thought the front bearing should be, and squirted some lube in there as I cranked it over. And it worked. Speeded right up and lost the noise. Now it's just the regular crappy Virago starter and I may get out of replacing it for some time to come. I'll stick a dab of RTV on the hole. It was a good day.

did it start? pics of this 100$ bike, please
what was this lube you squirted. I hope it wasn't wd40.

I pulled a v750 starter and the leaky oil seal had filled it with a nasty mix of oil and carbon from the brushes. The Virago box of starter rocks fix isn't that hard to do. Pulling those carbs sucks.

I pulled a v750 starter and the leaky oil seal had filled it with a nasty mix of oil and carbon from the brushes. The Virago box of starter rocks fix isn't that hard to do. Pulling those carbs sucks.
Could be worse. Could be a Honda V45.
You can't put up a post about a 100 dollar bike and not drop pics. It's rude. :laugh:

"Could be worse. Could be a Honda V45."

I have avoided all those V4 hondas for just that reason!
ttwp.gif

I have avoided all those V4 hondas for just that reason!

I used to go to my buddy's shop and BS all morning on Saturdays, and one day I told him to just put me to work while I was gabbing. Did it for about 6 weeks, then, 3 weeks in a row, I got a Honda V-4. Strangely, after the 3rd one, I ran out of spare time on Saturdays! :wink2:

408076739.jpg

It was wd40, cause any lube is better than none. I will get something in there more substantial tomorrow. And the carbs are not that tough, only the 1st time. The starter is a PITA to change out. It starts easily and every time now. Starter isn't sucking all the juice.

I almost took a 83 v65 for free. I say almost because in doing some research before going to look at it, the factory had fixed the cam oiling issues in 83. but when I got there, the carbs were off, and in boxes. also, as we all know, the date of a bike, and the actual factory build date can be off. it might have had 82 motor. if it was a 84, I would have taken it. was in good shape, dropped once in garage.
Thanks for the pic.

Back