not charging

FLEA

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
have a xs650 not charging ,fitted with a pma and pamco on a rephrased 750 kit , 2 weeks ago took it on a 100kl /60 mile ride, started and ran great like normal , stopped at a pub 1kl from home and when went to start on e/start flat battery but luckilly started on the k/starter , put it on the charger and charged up ok , checked the charging on multi meter and zero charging … any thoughts before I start looking around , the pma and pamco have about 4000 kls on them ,on charged battery bike starts , revs and runs well

your best bet is to look in the TECH section at the top of the page.;)

There is a huge amount of advice and information about the charging system on this site if you use the search feature.

your best bet is to look in the TECH section at the top of the page.;)

There is a huge amount of advice and information about the charging system on this site if you use the search feature.
yep , most iv found is on original alternators or wiring up instalation

well you couldn't have done a search on this site as there are hundreds of threads that if read will give you a good insight and understanding of how the chargings system works. It really is a very simple basic system with very few components.

Look on youtube ...lots of videos , I have uploaded one myself.
Look on Petes website for his troubleshooting advice

PMA (permanent magnet alternator) do a google search and read up how it works and then you'll be able to troubleshoot your charging system .
I'm not trying to be awkward Flea but you come across as someone that hasn't made any effort to help yourself yet and are hoping someone else will hand you the answer.

If you fitted the PMA yourself then consult the sellers website and then go back over the install instructions and make sure its been installed correctly

Last edited:
well you couldn't have done a search on this site as there are hundreds of threads that if read will give you a good insight and understanding of how the chargings system works. It really is a very simple basic system with very few components.

Look on youtube ...lots of videos , I have uploaded one myself.
Look on Petes website for his troubleshooting advice

PMA (permanent magnet alternator) do a google search and read up how it works and then you'll be able to troubleshoot your charging system .
I'm not trying to be awkward Flea but you come across as someone that hasn't made any effort to help yourself yet and are hoping someone else will hand you the answer.

If you fitted the PMA yourself then consult the sellers website and then go back over the install instructions and make sure its been installed correctly

Got up this morning and it was raining outside............Not a grate start to the day............

Went to take my morning piss..........blody cat wouldn't move and i triped over it and stubbed my toe...........

Went to make myself my morning coffee..........No coffee grinds........looked for the instant............empty tin............Why the bloody hell would someone put an empty tin back in the cupboard........This day is just getting better and better..............

I'll go on to 650.com and enjoy my morning read.........Bloody hell now people are asking for help on my site and of all places in the garage, when it is obvious, (they did state), they haven't done any reasearch.................I told them.......do a search on the site and there are hundreds of threads about the problem..............Posted some links .from other sites that have nothing to do with the specific problem or will help..................Now i feel better

yep , most iv found is on original alternators or wiring up instalation

Hey Flea, Lucky you have the pamco. Good advert for starting on a low voltage battery especially with your bad leg. Wouldn't have got it going with points.

Here is a link that goes into the testing procedure of the stator and battery.
http://www.xs650.com/threads/pma-not-charging-bike.27282/

Still may need to load test the battery just for elimination purposes if the others check out

thanks skull will be looking that up ,lucky only 1 kl from home , cant kick the bloody thing over now with the 750 kit so right out front of the pub had to get someone else to boot it over.. embarrassing BUT viva la pamco as you said good chance the points wouldn't have got me home ….. O and by the way peanut , electrics of any sort is definitely my weakness its almost like im dislexit with it , which is why asked advice .. not being lazy .. now please take your morning meds

Last edited:
tO and by the way peanut , electrics of any sort is definitely my weakness its almost like im dislexit with it , which is why asked advice .. not being lazy .. now please take your morning meds

Most owners struggle with electrics Flea which is why skull had to point you to somebody else's thread rather than help you directly.:laugh2:

I'm afraid I don't buy your excuse though sorry. You do not appear to have made any effort to even search this forum or the tech section or even do a google search which is why someone had to do it for you. If you are unable to search for an answer how on earth do you intend to carry out troubleshooting and repair?

it may seem harsh but whilst I'm always prepared to help anybody that is prepared to make some effort to helps themselves I do need to see that at least some effort has been made by the enquirer.

Last edited:
Got up this morning and it was raining outside............Not a grate great start to the day............

Went to take my morning piss..........blody bloody cat wouldn't move and i I triped tripped over it and stubbed my toe...........

Went to make myself my morning coffee..........No coffee grinds coffee grounds ........looked for the instant............empty tin............Why the bloody hell would someone put an empty tin back in the cupboard........This day is just getting better and better..............

I'll go on to 650.com and enjoy my morning read.........Bloody hell now people are asking for help on my site congratulations on acquiring this site skull :laugh2:and of all places in the garage, when it is obvious, (they did state), they haven't done any reasearch. research ................I told them.......do a search on the site and there are hundreds of threads about the problem..............Posted some links .from other sites that have nothing to do with the specific problem or will help..................Now i I feel better

I can see that you struggle with the English language Skull or is it just the English you struggle with lol :laugh2::lmao:

not looking for a argument peanut but wouldn't it be easier to just ignore the inquiry than berate the inquirer .. and when I say a weekness with elecs I don't mean struggle but mean the lights go out (mine not the bikes) sometimes its easier to ask

I can see that you struggle with the English language Skull or is it just the English you struggle with lol :laugh2::lmao:

Those who throw stones.........Go back and check your posts......I expect you to change them now, like you have in the past to make yourself look good lol

So what if i don't know the exact no's the wires should read when tested on a PMA......Had a thread bookmarked with that info so posted the link........At least i tried to help not hinder.........

More belittling from Peanut.......Nothing to see here

Back