Not ME ! ( this time )

motormike

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Cb 450 carb.jpg Cb 450 intake.jpg A buddy recently pick'd up a 71' Cb 450....been sitting for years.. doesn't turn over. Got it cheap. Mufflers rotted... but he want'd a winter project.
Pulled the left carb... and found major.. mega ugly... a eyeball of the intake reveled a .. clue .. as to the not turn'n over problem. The right carb look'd normal as well as the intake.

Yuk!

One problem we encountered with those '70s CB-450s was fuel draining from the carbs, down the intakes, into the engine. From leaving the petcock on. Not a leak thing, but long-term fuel evaporation/condensation from the carb bowl down the angled inlet. Usually from improper winter storage, warm/cold cycles, constant fuel replenishment...

My Cb 450.. 1968... the petcock was " off " but it failed.. and gas filled the engine.... like a goon.. I placed a pan under the bike.. unscrewed the drain plug... the plug shot out and.... YIKERS ! ... look'd like a oil tanker ran into a rocky shore... gadzooks...... I did find out.... Blue Dial dish shop.. water.. a good srubb'n with a hard brush-broom and then pour'n kitty litter over the mess.. took two bags.... work in the kitty litter.... let it dry overnight... sweep up.... Dang... Great ... did a excellent job.

those early honda fuel taps weren’t great even when they were new, I had CB250 drum brake model back in the day, it always leaked even after rebuilding it a couple of times, bought a new one and it only lasted a couple of months, same deal leaked into crankcase.

Back