not sure which way to go with electrics. help!

Captain Fun

03A3 boy
Reaction score
I just bought my first bike in 32 years and it's an xs650 special in 1979 vintage. Basically a rolling basket case but I see tons of potential especially after viewing all the awesome builds you guy's have produced. After hooking up a new battery the only response I got was a green neutral light. No headlight, no blinkers, no spark, no horn. Upon closer inspection, I figure I'll have to start from the ground up with a new harness, connectors and electrical components. I'm not the most electrical savvy person but with clear instructions I can figure most things out the first time. I'd love to go battery-less but I would like blinkers. Any suggestions on the best way to go? Thank's in advance, Captain Fun.

I'd start by soaking everything in wd40 or something similar and start reading posts about resurecting the electrical system. It's not as complicated as it may seem
Good luck and don't get discouraged!

Posted via Mobile

The stock fuse box is the first thing I'd check/replace. Real simple to upgrade from the glass fuses to blade fuses and it will save you headaches in the long run. Also clean all connections and grounds. Going batteryless you'll need to do a pma alternator swap and you'll need points or a pamco ignition and a capacitor in place of the battery. Going this route you can really simplify the wiring.

So far you have gotten good advice. I'll try to add some more.
On the 79 the headlight only comes on after the engine starts.
As mentioned the stock round glass fuses were crap when new and the years didn't improve them. Replace them. This may get the rest of the system to work.
Your 79 came with points, so swapping to a PMA, that can run with or without a battery, won't be too hard. Do a little research on them. I recommend HHB's kit. Much better customer support than other's.
I also recommend trying to get the bike running and rideable, ride it awhile to get all the bugs from setting worked out. Mostly electrical and carbs.
Once you get it running and working well you can do mods as the money and parts become available.
Leo

I would just rewire it, you will learn so much about that bike in the process and then when something goes astray 3 months from now you can pretty much diagnose it immedicatly since you have such an intimate relationship with the electrics. I know it sounds terrifying, but its really not.

Hi guy's, thanks for all the info. This site reminds me of the group of people I shoot with. All the info is intended to help, not hurt. I have fished all my life and everyone in the fish world is a liar. It seems that guns and motorcycles have alot in common. People trying to help other people. Anyway, upon even closer inspection I discovered some mouse damaged wires. Between that and the rust factor I fear I'll have to start with a re-wire and the pma makes alot of sense. In regard's to Leo's post I totally agree as far as getting the thing up and running and proceeding slowly. I'm in no rush here but like any project I tackle progress is the name of the game. Good thing I'm a patient guy. I'll check out Hugh's tonight. I guess my main question is if I strip all the stock wiring what is the minimum amount of rewiring I'll have to do just to get a decent spark and be able to bomb around the neighborhood. I figure once the thing is running I can add lights and blinkers later. Thanks for taking the time to help out. Captain Fun out.

Back