Nutrition health and Weight loss

Well I decided to allow some carbs back in and i gained 8 lbs..Not being happy with the noticeable gain in my bellyfat so we are back on keto..it has taken me almost 2 weeks to get back to ketosis... more difficult than i thought..but this a.m. I weighed in at 143# so we are back on the losing side of the equation once again...My little foray into regression was an eye opener..It takes very little to gain the weight back and takes alot of effort and more time to lose it through ketosis...I liked where i was @140# so thats where we are heading...I should be back to 140# sometime this week...
I find it quite incredible..this whole process...journey and reawakening of my awareness into my health and well being...Shedding the carbohydrates and the fat is something that up until 2 yrs ago i didnt even think i was in need of doing....
So we have our trials and tribulations in all endeavors...The ends do justify the means....

wow that is incredible max !........... I would never have thought that such a dramatic weight gain could be possible with such a small amount of carbohydrate in such a short period of time.

That is a real eye opener and an extremely important lesson to all of us .

That is demonstrable, empirical and undeniable proof that the body stores excess energy ,(in the form of sugar and carbs,) as belly fat.

Aside from Tom Watson, (see youtube video below), your weight loss story is the most compelling and informative I have read and I am extremely grateful to you for posting this for everyones benefit.

I am sorry to hear that once on a Keto style diet it is clearly difficult to maintain weight loss and eat any carbs . The prospect of a life without some occasional carb treats does sound like hell but I guess its a bit like giving up smoking. Once you have committed to it for health benefits why would anyone smoke the occasional cigarette or cigar ? if one is serious about improving ones health and lowering the risk of serious illness or early death you either quit or you don't .
Well done max :thumbsup:

Thanks P..I havent a problem with occaisional carbs now and then..but what i had done the past few weeks was go beyond occaisional ..so if i maintain l
Keto..I can still allow myself a biscuit or bagel for breakfast once in a while...
What I have noticed is how sensitive my body is to a change and it doesnt take much to get out of ketosis and any additional carbs does slow down the process...

Thanks P..I havent a problem with occaisional carbs now and then..but what i had done the past few weeks was go beyond occaisional ..so if i maintain l
Keto..I can still allow myself a biscuit or bagel for breakfast once in a while...
What I have noticed is how sensitive my body is to a change and it doesnt take much to get out of ketosis and any additional carbs does slow down the process...

Thats exactly what happened to me . I just lost my resolve for some scones and that was it I ate cake for 3x weeks and piled on 14 lbs !.
I've now got to go through all that again to get back into ketosis .

Not surprisingly I have noticed that in the past couple of weeks all my joint pain has returned with a vengence . i have arthritic aches in thumbs wrists ankles neck and shoulder and my back is very fragile too. On top of that I am bloated and have continual wind all night plus I'm back to peeing several times a night which is a nuisance

I feel terrible and my concentration and attention has gone to pot too. This morning I prepared a nice slow cook pork casserole and 2x hours later noticed that I had forgotten to switch the damn thing on grrrrrrr:rolleyes:

I accept that I shall never be able to live the rest of my life without any carbs so I must try to significantly reduce them and also try to identify which carbs are responsible for the highest Insulin spikes and try to avoid those .

Hi Peanut,
I dropped from ~250 lbs to 190 in 18 months of eating smaller helpings of my usual diet.
Then I read your "carbs are the enemy" posts.
Alas that on giving up carbs I also gave up smaller helpings.
I'm back to 197 lbs. Which is a good number for a Villiers engine but not for me.
It's said "you are digging your grave with your teeth."
From now on I'll be taking smaller bites.
When I get down to 180lbs there's these 38" waist jeans I've been saving
in the hope that I'd fit in 'em one day.

Not surprisingly I have noticed that in the past couple of weeks all my joint pain has returned with a vengence . i have arthritic aches in thumbs wrists ankles neck and shoulder and my back is very fragile too. On top of that I am bloated and have continual wind all night plus I'm back to peeing several times a night which is a nuisance

I feel terrible and my concentration and attention has gone to pot too.
That’s pretty much my symptoms and necessary motivation to stay the straight and narrow. Holidays are coming very soon and I dread it, since we have to travel. I expect I’ll be either sick or hungry. Canned fish will go in my luggage.

Fred Its about what you eat not how much you eat ;)

.its not just about weight loss Fred ...........that is not the major issue here it is metabolic syndrome and chronic ill health like high blood pressure and T2 Diabetes and stokes and heart attack risk .you are completely missing the point of this thread because you steadfastly refuse to read any of it :(

Losing weight doesn't necessarily improve the these factors........ in fact there are more type 2 Diabetics in the USA that are not over-weight than there that are obese .!

you need to read a few of the posts in this thread and watch a couple of the videos and maybe you'll start to understand how our bodies work :)

Fred Its about what you eat not how much you eat ;):)

Mosty, but I can manage to put on weight by eating too much of a good thing. The video below makes a compelling argument that we aren't all the same. I seem to suffer similar food reaction as Peanut, but madmax-im does not. Enjoy the vid, if so compelled.

yes of course if you eat like a pig on a keto diet you will put on some weight it goes without saying but ..........and its a big but ....you wouldn't be spiking your insulin which means you would't develop carbohydrate resistance , insulin resistance , type 2 Diabetes and all the other chronic illnesses :D

There are millions of clinically obese people that have no sign of T2 Diabetes or significant coronary heart disease .

Well, time to retire my ol' 44" belt.
20191118_NewBelt.jpg
The 38" fits better.

Anybody hungry?
How 'bout some local favorites, or oddities.
All Keto friendly.
20191118_TexicanGroceries01.jpg 20191118_TexicanGroceries02.jpg 20191118_TexicanGroceries03.jpg 20191118_TexicanGroceries04.jpg 20191118_TexicanGroceries05.jpg

Out here there's plenty of catfish, and avocados.
But, getting other types of fish isn't easy.

Curious, what common table-fare exists in ya'll's other parts of the world?

Wild caught salmon is available right now at Kroger and Costco in the greater Memphis area. We had cod on the table last week. My great grandfather died blind from macular degeneration (AMD). My grandmother (his daughter) died blind from AMD. My mother (her daughter) is blind by AMD. My research is telling me I'm predisposed to die blind from AMD. I've also learned it's actually diet related. Scientific data shows it didn't exist until well into the 20th century, but is now at epidemic proportions. The good news is, I don't have to die blind. I've read I should eat fish three times a week, 1 cup serving of spinach (or other dark leafy greens) every day, and no vegetable oils. There's a good case that vegetable oil is the leading culprit.
If you're interested, this presentation is very good. It's around 90 minutes.

Wild and farmed Salmon is available in our local stores..i shop in Aldi or Lidl..they both save you alot of money compared to the other grocery chains down here...i miss my "world class" Shop Rite... I eat it several times per week..plus daily i have a can of yellowfin Tuna in Garlic and virgin olive oil...Olive oil is the only vegatble oil i use or consume...Honestly do not know how good or bad it is...
The history in my family is usually on the male side of the family and relates to heart issues..My Grandfather died at 59 Heart attack shovelling snow....My Father died at 63 Heart condition for many years..died in a Hospital bed ... and my oldest Brother died at age 59 as well.. All were heart related issues..although in my brother's case alcoholism and chronic cigarette smoking led him to throat cancer...nasty fucking habits...also died in a hospital bed...
Interesting to also note that I have never made a correlation between carb consumption..weight gain and its relationship to the aches and pains or inflammations that make us feel awful.. I get those pains..flare ups in my hands..fingers..arsm..shoulders and my neck...
I am more sensitive to temperature and humidity than i am carb intake..for i ache constanly during this whole process...
My daily oral pain meds can only do so much..so every 3 months or so I need to have trigger point Cortisone injections where I hurt the most.. Without these periodic injections life in NC would really be miserable...
I know I would benefit from the desert southwest climate..Everytime i visit..its thhe same thing..i feel great in a matter of a couple days and the climate and geography are so beautiful it motivates me to be outside and exercise and recreation activities are alway a great way to stay in shape..
here in NC being outdoors sucks..in so many ways...just a totally different place...
Every year about this time we have the "WTF lets move back to Tucson" discussion...

Last edited:
Mosty, but I can manage to put on weight by eating too much of a good thing. The video below makes a compelling argument that we aren't all the same. I seem to suffer similar food reaction as Peanut, but madmax-im does not. Enjoy the vid, if so compelled.
Excellent discussion..Calories In/out is really missing the point.. Jillian is blowing the BS out her azz..Just amazing how the so called "experts" are getting it totally wrong...
Thanks Marty! Appreciate the captioning too..without that i would not have even bothered...

Last edited:
Excellent discussion..Calories In/out is really missing the point.. Jillian is blowing the BS out her azz..Just amazing how the so called"experts' are getting it totally wrong...
Thanks Marty! Appreciate the captioning too..without that i would not have even bothered...

thanks for your post max.. I just couldn't be bothered to critique that pile of b******t

I fear that this health and fitness thread is descending into complete rubbish with all these unsubstantiated unreferenced videos and old wives tales etc. We have even started to discuss smoking as if that is an acceptable healthy practice ffs ?! :doh:

Guys the object of thread is a serious attempt to educate and inform and thus improve everyones general health and lower risk of life threatening chronic illness strokes and heart attacks. Its an attempt to collate ,update and present sources of reliable relevant current health and nutrition advice in one place for those that are serious about improving their health .

I have said previously that any posts regarding advice on health matters should be accompanied by the references and links to accredited scientific research and peer reviewed published papers in medical and scientific journals.

Anything else is simply perpetuating all the dangerous unsubstantiated rubbish that is already out there on the net.

If this thread starts filling up with crap then how is it going to be a source of reliable advice about health and nutrition ? How are viewers going to tell if the advice posted can be trusted ?

I really welcome all the interest and discussion that we have had on the thread but could we please not clutter up the thread with videos from unsubstantiated sources otherwise this thread will eventually become just another source of misleading information and advice that cannot be trusted ;):)

That last video I critiqued was spot on..no disinformation there..so what in that video was unsubstantiated?

Fred Its about what you eat not how much you eat ;)
.its not just about weight loss Fred ...........that is not the major issue here it is metabolic syndrome and chronic ill health like high blood pressure and T2 Diabetes and stokes and heart attack risk .you are completely missing the point of this thread because you steadfastly refuse to read any of it :(
Losing weight doesn't necessarily improve the these factors........ in fact there are more type 2 Diabetics in the USA that are not over-weight than there that are obese .!
you need to read a few of the posts in this thread and watch a couple of the videos and maybe you'll start to understand how our bodies work :)

Hi peanut,
why you reckon I didn't view each one of them?
Mostly folks riding their dietary hobby horses off in different directions.
What I know is that now I'm ~50 lbs lighter I can climb stairs without stopping half way up for a rest and go for a walk
without having to lean on every lamp post en route until I quit wheezing.
& no, I don't smoke. It's just about the only nasty habit I was never tempted by.

That last video I critiqued was spot on..no disinformation there..so what in that video was unsubstantiated?

well I didn't get much further than 'a calorie is a calorie ' statement which is frankly rubbish and then I gave up .

I wasn't aware that there were any references on the video anywhere that stated the source of the material so I assumed that it was just the personal anecdotal opinion of the narrator ?

Perhaps I overlooked the reference to the source of the scientific /medical meta analysis or published papers ? if thats the case I'm quite willing to watch the whole of the video and report on where the stated claims and advice differs from current research and supply references and links to the sources .

Hi peanut,
why you reckon I didn't view each one of them?
Mostly folks riding their dietary hobby horses off in different directions.

well fred maybe its the claim that you make about 'folks riding their dietary hobby horses off in different directions';)

You are apparently unaware of the references and links in all the videos I have linked to ,to the published medical and scientific papers and tests etc that substaniate and support the material in the videos. ?:)

Those references are not as you put it 'folks riding their dietary hobby horses off in different directions' but are World renowned medical consultants and Scientists that advise our Governments and Health advisory bodies .

If that is 'folks riding their dietary hobby horses off in different directions' to you then I can see why so many folk are confused about the health and nutritional advice we receive from professionals . This is why I started this thread , to sift through all that fake news and BS and try and bring some clarity and sound health and nutritional advice .

if you are happy with the results of your starvation diet and think that you will be able to adopt that type of diet as a long term lifestyle then stick with it by all means, there is clearly nothing contained in this thread that will change your entrenched views;)

Last edited:
Well, time to retire my ol' 44" belt.
View attachment 154440
The 38" fits better.

Anybody hungry?
How 'bout some local favorites, or oddities.
All Keto friendly.
View attachment 154441 View attachment 154442 View attachment 154443 View attachment 154444 View attachment 154445

Out here there's plenty of catfish, and avocados.
But, getting other types of fish isn't easy.

Curious, what common table-fare exists in ya'll's other parts of the world?
ohhh Mesquite smoked Bacon..I wish we could get that here...I love mesquite!!

Ok Peanut..the link to the Video that Marty gave us shows a Dr. refuting claims by Jillian Michaels in regard to losing weight by intermittent fasting..may not have medical reasearch to back it up but its common sense stuff..If you took the time to watch it then you would know this is the Wheat..not the chaff..so to say.. I have subscribed to this Dr's videos and such...no cost to do so..he makes perfectly good sense to me...I'd say he is worth the time to watch..
https://www.youtube.com/user/drekberg

Back