Nutrition health and Weight loss

Farewell old friends.
20200124_BaggyPants.jpg

We've had some good times, and you served me well. But, I can't wear you anymore.

It's like trying to fit a 1/2" hose onto a 1/4"barb...

A text message came to me yesterday that one of my friends just had a stroke. It has hit me very hard. He and his wife had just retired. As bad as it sounds, his motorcycling days are likely over. It may be far worse than that. He showed signs of risk. Too damn fat. He seems too young for this to happen. It’s painful for all those who know and love him.

So far this month, my weight seems to have stabilized at 155lbs.

Dayum! I haven't weighed 155 since 1975. It's like a time machine.

Still feel a bit weak and tired, but that's been going on for almost 20 years. What's nice is when I fall down, it doesn't hurt as much. And, it's much easier to get back up.

The new pants I bought a couple of months ago had to get packed away, too large now. From a 38-40" waist, now down to a 32" waist, and even that is starting to feel loose.

Amazing, this Keto diet.
Just stick to the regimen, eat as much as you want, the fat simply melts off...

So far this month, my weight seems to have stabilized at 155lbs.

Dayum! I haven't weighed 155 since 1975. It's like a time machine.

Still feel a bit weak and tired, but that's been going on for almost 20 years. What's nice is when I fall down, it doesn't hurt as much. And, it's much easier to get back up.

The new pants I bought a couple of months ago had to get packed away, too large now. From a 38-40" waist, now down to a 32" waist, and even that is starting to feel loose.

Amazing, this Keto diet.
Just stick to the regimen, eat as much as you want, the fat simply melts off...
Congratulations 2M..you got your ketones in order.....and now you are experiencing the same results as me.....Its a great feeling...Its been 2 yrs for me already...I went as low as 135#..that was a 70# loss..I have brought my weight back to 145#-150#...I too have not been this weight since the 1980s..And with a little vigilence the weight will stay off...:smoke:

A text message came to me yesterday that one of my friends just had a stroke. It has hit me very hard. He and his wife had just retired. As bad as it sounds, his motorcycling days are likely over. It may be far worse than that. He showed signs of risk. Too damn fat. He seems too young for this to happen. It’s painful for all those who know and love him.
I know him and his wife well too...I have ridden with them a dozen times..He had heart surgery a few years ago..always a big man...He posted on CH11. He will make it and come back stronger than before. he is a driven man...Dr's said a couple years to regain normal functions..but he says it will be sooner than that...One can only pray...

A bit surprised this a.m..... I haven't weighed in..for almost 2 weeks. Since adding more carbs into the diet..I expected to be 146# . So 140# was a nice surprise. It isnt difficult to maintain my weight loss and still have flexibility in my diet...My gym is closed so Im not doing my 3 mile walks..bit I am walking around the hood...
Hope y'all are doing well...

Need to lose some weight so gone back to ADF - alternate day fasting.

I call it my 5, 5, 38 diet. Breakfast, five hours later lunch, five hours later dinner, thirty-eight hours later breakfast again. Works for me. Only thing is it leaves the problem how to divvy-up the day. Routine. So I still observe mealtimes on my fasting days. In fact as the chef of the house, I prepare a meal for Mrs and sit down with her when she eats, but I just have a cuppa.

Did same a few years back - worked great and I lost about 25-28 lbs over a few months.

Once I reach target, must take more care not to let the weight creep up again.

I’m five years into my lifestyle changes. My weight is down 40-50 lbs from what it was 5+ years ago. There’s more that one way to skin a cat. I do intermittent fasting and transitioned from carbohydrates to “healthy” fats. Sugar is my #1 enemy. It’s working for me in many ways. I’m the old guy in the CrossFit gym. I never saw that in my crystal ball.

Raymond, I hope you feel as good as I do!

I've had an extremely healthy diet for decades. About a year ago, I made the final step, and adopted the Whole Foods Plant Based (WFPB) diet.
There's tons of info on it, but the "originator" and still the master guru of it is T. Colin Campbell.

"For more than 40 years, Dr. T. Colin Campbell has been at the forefront of nutrition research. His legacy, the China Project, is the most comprehensive study of health and nutrition ever conducted."

His first book, "The China Study" has a terrible title, but will change your life if you read it. I read it as an audio book, which I also recommend -- the narrator is fantastic.

I don't want to get too wonky or political here, you should read the book yourself and make your own decisions, but we have been duped and misled our entire lives by the Food Industrial Complex and the Diet Industrial Complex, and this book is the antidote.

Raymond, I hope you feel as good as I do!
Marty, without of course knowing how you feel, I fully expect to feel better in a number of ways as I attain my target. I know I did last time and am somewhat annoyed at myself for gradual weight gain since.

In fact, I'm feeling better already - partly it's knowing I'm taking steps which will improve my health potential and partly it's re-acquaintance with feeling empty. Most of my friends and family tell me 'Good luck with that. But I couldn't do what you do and eat nothing for a whole day.' They think they would faint or feel exhausted. Some think they would damage their health or even starve. I reassure them by taking hold of my spare tyre (Oh the shame) and tell them there's plenty of reserves there.

Might be that some people wouldn't find it easy. That's true. But I've concluded that feeling hungry is much more to do with habit than how much you eat. At 12 noon in every office I've worked, people stand up, stretch and say 'Who else is coming for a sandwich? I'm absolutely starving!' They're not starving or even truly hungry, they're just habituated to eating at that time of day.

The first time you go for a day without eating, you have to supress - pangs? - at mealtimes. Your unconscious is telling you this is when you normally eat. Ignore that and the feeling passes. After doing it a few times, you no longer even have those pangs. Honest! I don't feel hungry on my fast days.

But I do feel noticeably more alert and full of energy. I'm not alone, athletes who use ADF all say their best training sessions are on fast days. I read a book* on ADF and the author, a woman who had studied hormonal response to eating/fasting, explained the medical reasons why people feel tired after eating - postprandial torpor - a state you perpetuate by having three, four, five or more meals a day plus snacking. But, a few hours without eating, your body gives up the work of digestion, processing and storing all that glycogen. The author said that after a meal, 25% of the energy we burn is used for the digestion process - that surprised me. But after a few hours without shovelling more food, your hormone balance reverses and you begin to liberate your energy stores.

@DogBunny, I haven't read Dr. Campbell's book but I took a look at a synopsis and some reviews. Yes I know . . . He advocates a mainly or purely plant based diet. I'm already on that path - I have never eaten meat, fish, etc although I do consume milk and cheese. It sounds like your new diet is bringing you benefits?

* can't remember author or title but might look for the book if there's interest

Last edited:
Well done - it's great you feel well as a slimmed down you!

As the cook, I never use prepared meals and try to avoid highly process foods. Spose I'm lucky to have the time and inclination to cook from scratch, as it were?

@DogBunnyIt sounds like your new diet is bringing you benefits?
I was already very close to the WFPB diet, so I haven't really seen any changes in my health. But, I'm totally convinced that T. Colin Campbell knows more about nutrition, diet, and health than anyone.
The changes that I suspect are going on with me are more long-term, for example preventing cancer and a slew of other maladies.
food from a shiny box is the enemy of our health and longevity
Yes. The typical Standard American Diet -- with the fitting acronym "SAD" -- is rife with processed food, which is one of the absolute prime enemies to our health.

Well done - it's great you feel well as a slimmed down you!

As the cook, I never use prepared meals and try to avoid highly process foods. Spose I'm lucky to have the time and inclination to cook from scratch, as it were?
I’m lazy. I don’t like to make time to cook. Eating out is not healthy as a rule. I’ve learned to get around that. I have gravitated toward a carnivore diet. When my wife leaves me alone, that’s what I do. There’s nothing challenging about putting a piece of meat on the grill, or opening a can of kippers. I also feel my best. When I do that, I find it easy to eat just once per day.
As always, YMMV

Thank you for putting up that vid, Marty. A lot of good points and a truly inspirational old man.

A lot of it is common sense. There is a danger especially, in these silly times, of some people obsessing too much on the latest health fad. Obsessing too much on anything is probably bad for you?

Thank you for putting up that vid, Marty. A lot of good points and a truly inspirational old man.

A lot of it is common sense. There is a danger especially, in these silly times, of some people obsessing too much on the latest health fad. Obsessing too much on anything is probably bad for you?
Yes. I think the best course is to avoid 90% of what is in the grocery store. Otherwise, it appears people are thriving on plant based or meat based diets. The centenarian in the video beat cancer on a vegan diet. Just looking at each other these days tells a story. We’ve never been so sick.

Back