Nutrition health and Weight loss

Good job..you're almost there! Note on fruits...All Berry fruits are good...especially with Whipped cream...and they make great smoothies too...I've not had any problems with these fruits although they may have some sugars, nothing like other fruits. But again it does vary accordring to your physiology...

Last edited:
Good job..you're almost there! Note on fruits...All Berry fruits are good...especially with Whipped cream...and they make great smoothies too...I've not had any problems with these fruits although they may have some sugars, nothing like other fruits. But again it does vary accordring to your physiology...

Blueberries actually contain 10+ gms of sugar per 100gms thats a heck of a lot of sugar . ;)

There is this myth going round that fruit is good for you because it is a natural food but that is complete nonsense. There is no difference between the sugar in fruit (fructose )and the sugar in harmful cereals or processed foods . In fact fructose is the worst kind of sugar . All sugar is bad for us no matter where it comes from ...........it is all exactly the same sugar when processed in the body.

All the while that we eat sugar the body will use it for energy before it burns fat . Any excess sugar is then stored as fat .
Eating fruit or any other form of carbohydrate will stop the ketosis process .;)

The easiest way to tell what our food is doing is to test the blood glucose level before eating then retest an hour after eating it and see the rise in blood glucose levels. Fat and protein cause zero rise in blood sugar levels

Good points..Ther are many myths surrounding what is claimed to be good nutrition... I have not looked into self testing blood sugar levels at home..i just visit the Dr once a year. they do the testing...I will look into doing it myself...

Good points..Ther are many myths surrounding what is claimed to be good nutrition... I have not looked into self testing blood sugar levels at home..i just visit the Dr once a year. they do the testing...I will look into doing it myself...

its quite interesting to do because you can log the results and see which foods are causing your insulin to spike and avoid them. The test strip readers are very cheap to buy but they really sting you with the test strips which is where they make their money.
For diagnosed type 2 Diabetics they are essential but they are also useful for pre diabetes or anyone wishing to reduce their risk of coronary heart disease and other chronic diseases.

Its all about controlling the amount of Insulin our bodies produce in response to the sugar we consume That is the key.
The more sugar we eat the more insulin our pancreas produces the higher the risk of developing Insulin resistance (Metabolic Syndrome) along with Diabetes , Hypertension, Atherosclerosis , coronary heart disease and many other chronic diseases.

Ah, I was never diagnosed as T2 diabetic..only pre stage T2..not as critical...still i am curious...

Ah, I was never diagnosed as T2 diabetic..only pre stage T2..not as critical...still i am curious...

no such thing as less important Max . If you have been diagnosed pre diabetic then that is very significant and an important warning.
Because you have made significant changes to your lifestyle and nutrition you should not go on to develop T2 Diabetes but don't think you have got away scott free.
Damage has already been done to your Pancreas Liver and arteries ,blood capillaries over a long period of time maybe a decade or more .You already have a degree of insulinemia ... it will take time to reverse all the harmfull effects but you are well on the way so well done for taking it seriously.;):thumbsup:

Back from the ortho clinic..relief is not instantaneous but the pressure has subsided...will take another day for the residual pains to go away..then we'll be good for the next 3 to 4 months...
As far as being informed on medical issues..that can be a 2 edged sword...theres a fine line between being informed and being overloaded with much more than you really wanted to know...and theres invariably much more than i want to know...

As far as being informed on medical issues..that can be a 2 edged sword...theres a fine line between being informed and being overloaded with much more than you really wanted to know...and theres invariably much more than i want to know...

I'm the other side of the coin Max I've always needed to know everything there is to know about everything :) I think over the years its become my one and only vice ....can't stop reading ,researching, planning and organising the hell out of everything ...its like a constant thirst that can't be satisfied:(

Good to hear that you have some pain relief , life can be so damn miserable when you are in constant pain

My progression continiues..This morning i hit another milestone.....Weigh in at 145# for a 60lb loss of weight!!!! Time to go out and have a bagel for breakfast....
DukeGirl.gif

wow thats an impressive weight loss max well done !.....

Its difficult to believe for those that struggle with their weight but actually as you start to lose weight on a Keto or Atkins type diet you lose your carbohydrate cravings quite quickly .....I found I no longer craved carbs after just 2x weeks :) Fat and protein makes you feel satiated whereas carbs never seem to fill you up until you've eaten the whole cake or packet of biscuits :laugh2:

Last edited:
I must say Johnny (@peanut ) that when you started this thread I thought, "Oh, my God. I'll give this one a swerve. Load of old men moaning about diets."

But I have to say it has been really interesting. What's more, unlike the "experts" and the media it is not full of twaddle. Most dietary advice is contradictory, faddish and self serving. I've always been angry at the way women, particularly, are used and abused by this racket. My ex-wife struggled with her weight and went to Weight Watchers. She succeeded, but WW and their ilk have no interest in turning you into healthy eaters, only life-long customers. Every magazine has a cover with cakes and biscuits on it and advice on how to make low calorie versions. Their system of "sins" are designed to make you guilty and just keep you to a calorie-limited intake which contains carbohydrates.

By contrast everything here I've read sounds sensible, logical and backed up by (if not rigorous double-blind studies) at least good common sense or anecdotal evidence. So well done. And well-done to the contributors.

I've even started taking note myself, not buying biscuits and choosing meat, cheese and protein over pasta, potatoes and bread. Its been "a piece of cake" and although I've not noticed if I've lost weight, I've lost some fat off my belly.

My partner is constantly on a "diet" and has just been diagnosed as pre-diabetic. She eats a LOT of fruit. And although, of course, I know fruits is loaded with sugar I'd never made the link. So thanks.

BTW - although I've never used it I have a degree in Chemistry of all things. So I've spent my life raising my eyebrows and groaning when people go on about "how healthy honey is" and "what poison processed food and especially processed sugar is".

Dave

Hi Dave good to have your support and approval.
Like you I have searched and searched for the truth and all I seem to find is regurgitated rubbish with no scientific basis for claims and recommendations.
Everything you read is exactly the same word for word so you know it has just been endlessly copy pasted from somewhere else with no checks or research done.

Everyone is out for what they can screw out of people it seems to me. Like the weight watchers and other diet clubs and groups you mention. My partner and I have tried everything over decades and as fast as we lose weight we put it straight back on again. Its easy taking it off but hard to keep up dieting and going without the foods you love.

Once I started to read about how the Worlds Governments and Health Authorities have been blatantly lying to us for years about food nutrition and health it became blindingly obvious that all the advice we have been getting over the decades has all been from vested interests like major food manufacturers and big Pharma.

Why would pharmaceutical companies tell us that we can improve our health and reduce coronary heart disease risk and all other chronic illness simply by changing our diet ? they would lose all their huge profits overnight . people would stop taking drugs overnight and get better as many have done.

We now know that there is not a single chronic illness that can be prevented or reversed by drugs .....
yet by making simple changes in our diet ........every chronic illness can either be reversed or significantly reduced . This is not hyperbole but a fact proven by extensive research and meta analysis..... yet most of the Worlds Governments and Medical health Authorities are still advocating that we reduce fat and protein which inevitably means we have to increase the proportion of carbohydrate intake in our diet.

The latest rubbish is we should cut down on eating meat because the Worlds cattle are producing too much methane ! so where are we supposed to get our essential vitamins and minerals ? there is not a single essential vitamin or mineral in any carbohydrate. If we all start eating plant based foods instead of meat then we will all become methane producers lol

I am gradually building up a list of websites where a few dedicated researchers, nutritionists, Doctors, Scientists and others are determined to dispel the fake health and dietary advice and bring us all the current research and facts .

Ivor Cummins of the Irish Heart Disease Awareness charity is the main source that I use . Ivor travels the World interviewing the top Doctors Scientists Cardiologists Nutritionists and others and posts a video every week .
This weeks podcast is about food adiction

The latest rubbish is we should cut down on eating meat because the Worlds cattle are producing too much methane !
Well Johnny, you started this thread to clear up all the rubbish out there about diets and how to live a healthier life. An admirable goal.... reduce all the misinformation. So I must say you surprised me with that bit of misinformation. It's nothing more than divisive rhetoric to stir up the masses... rouse the rabble and all that. it goes something like this.... "A cow farts and now all the tree huggers want to take away your Big Macks. Vote the bums out!!" yada yada yada.....
Cows produce a lot of methane... that is a scientific fact. It's contributing to climate change... also a scientific fact. Where that statement goes off the rails is that no one is seriously trying to take away your meat... it's nothing more that a rallying cry to demean the "other." Real scientists are hard at work finding "real" solutions. Here's one example. By altering a cows diet, we can reduce methane emissions..... Hmmm.... altering your diet... now there's a novel thought. Perhaps someone should start a thread about.... yeah, I'm being facetious. ;)
The point is, there's real world solutions to real world problems... as long as we don't get sucked into the divisive rhetoric. When it comes to cows and climate change... we can indeed have our cake and eat it too... to use an entirely inappropriate (for this topic) metaphor:rolleyes:.

Last edited:
I got serious about this at the beginning of July. I'm 6'4" tall and weighed in the neighborhood of 235 lbs, down from a high of about 245 lbs. This morning, I weighed in at 207 lbs. I haven't added in exercise, yet. I do push the mower 4 hours per week. I've dropped all sugar, grain, and seed oils. It's very tough to go out to a restaurant for a meal. Anyway, it's 11:30 AM and I haven't had breakfast. If I get hungry before time to go home I have wild caught canned fish, pumpkin seeds, and pecans. I feel good!

First of October I have to talk to my doctor about plaque in my arteries. I feel a statin Rx coming on. Meanwhile, I'm enjoying spinach, asparagus, broccoli, etc., as much as possible.

To your good health!

Well Johnny, you started this thread to clear up all the rubbish out there about diets and how to live a healthier life. An admirable goal.... reduce all the misinformation. So I must say you surprised me with that bit of misinformation. It's nothing more than decisive rhetoric to stir up the masses... .

I understand your scepticism Jim ....we have all been hoodwinked for years

If you were to do a bit of research as I have you will find the truth of the matter which is that there is currently a very powerful movement to stop meat eating . Its a World wide body that started in America well over a century ago with the Seventh day Eventists .

Recently they are employing different tactics to achieve their aim using climate and ecological reasons to convince us all to become vegetarians

Zoe Harcombe a UK Nutritionist spent a 4 year PHD researching the original origins of all the various nutrition and dieting recommendations and made some interesting discoveries.

if you are interested in discovering the real truth about this watch Zoe's podcasts and check the links to all the proofs on her website http://www.zoeharcombe.com/cf19/ ;)

Last edited:
Well my point is that there's no "serious" effort to take away our beef.... fringe groups like the Adventists notwithstanding. I, like many, take their beliefs and advice with the same grain of salt we give the Flat Earth Society. Ridding the world of meat eaters ain't gonna happen and I don't see a "serious" effort towards that end. There is however... a serious scientific effort at work so that we can continue to enjoy our T Bones. :D

watch the video Jim you might find it interesting .;) it will certainly dispel all the nonsense about food that we are bombarded with daily .
Don't underestimate the power of these powerful food lobbyists they influence Governments and Health bodies to produce dietary recommendations.
They can persuade Courts to prosecute people and stop professional people from advising their patients and publishing scientific papers. like the recent case of Professor Tim Noakes
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/news/201...-found-not-guilty-of-misconduct-94449754.html

Marty...once you have obtained your goal weight..you do have some flexibility for eating out...It has been my experience that i can from time to time go "off" the keto diet and eat those things i cut out. I experience a mild re-gain of a couple pounds afterwards . but a few days later i am right back to where i was before going out to eat. As long as i am adhereing to the keto diet then the "damage" is minimal...
This morning I went for a bagel and lox spread breakfast...I used to eat that every morning...for years..or at least some bagel everyday. Like Coke for you bagels/breads are my weakness and thus the main reason i have health issues...
Glad you are feeling great..I am too..both body and mind are sound due to a repprogramming in my habits and thought processes. An incredible journey I had no idea i was even in need of doing until the rude awakening from my Dr....

Back