Nutrition health and Weight loss

Peanut, very interesting Video. I noticed they mention insulin resistance which ties into another video you posted.

yes it seems that Insulin resistance is the root cause of most if not all chronic diseases . Long term insulin resistance leads to Metabolic Syndrome which is the bodies inability to process sugars from carbohydrates. In the presence of insulin , cells can take in glucose which is transformed into energy that all cells need . When the Pancreas is overwhelmed by a sustained high carbohydrate diet eventually it is unable to produce sufficient insulin, (insulin resistance) , so the cells cannot take up sufficient glucose . This eventually leads to type 2 Diabetes .

Type 2 Diabetes is not a disease its a condition which can be reversed very quickly in just a few weeks ,by either fasting or following a low carb diet . In time the Pancreas recovers the ability to produce insulin ( about a year ) . The Liver is an amazing organ and can recover more quickly once the body goes into Ketosis and starts to break down stored fat and turn it into glucose for energy.

As long as we keep eating carbohydrates the body will use glucose from the carbs for energy so the body won't burn body fat, it will actually store more unused glucose as body fat which is why we don't lose weight on a high carb diet

What is the story about seed oils? Where is the danger compared to meat fat?

the answer to that was at the end of the video in the charts . Its all about the chemical structure of the fats and how our bodies process them . Saturated Unsaturated and poly unsaturated fats all have different structures and have different effects on our bodies.
All seed oils come from plants , are highly processed whereas saturated and unsaturated fat comes from animals and contains no carbs or sugars is unrefined and natural or real food.

i only cook with lard these days and occasionally olive oil

She makes a persuasive argument Johnny. Guess I'll continue eating my steak once or twice a week. :cool:

she certainly does Jim although of course its not an argument really , its indisputable facts . She goes to great lengths to show the evidence for and against with links to all the known research . i wish I could afford to eat steak :( I have been thinking about making some slow cooked brisket beef casseroles..... yummy

Marty...once you have obtained your goal weight..you do have some flexibility for eating out...It has been my experience that i can from time to time go "off" the keto diet and eat those things i cut out. I experience a mild re-gain of a couple pounds afterwards . but a few days later i am right back to where i was before going out to eat. As long as i am adhereing to the keto diet then the "damage" is minimal...

I find the same max. Once my body is in ketosis it is happy enough for me to occasionally indulge in some cake or biscuits or a pizza and chips even but as long as its an occasional lapse my body stays in ketosis and continues to burn body fat for energy so the weight keeps coming off.

Marty...once you have obtained your goal weight..you do have some flexibility for eating out...It has been my experience that i can from time to time go "off" the keto diet and eat those things i cut out.

I'm not so sure about that. I went on this thing more to reduce misery than lose weight. Since I started taking care about what goes in my pie hole, I no longer get up six times a night to pee, I can pee rather than just dribble, my arthritis seem to be better, especially in my neck, my blood pressure is going down, I can clip my toenails and breathe at the same time, and I generally feel good.

Discussing my diet in detail is akin to telling you what oil, tires, and handlebars you should run on your bike. I don't feel the need to go there unless you ask me and I'd prefer that be in private. Do what you believe in and what best works for you. Even doctors and nutritionists don't agree.

What is the story about seed oils? Where is the danger compared to meat fat?

I depends who you believe. As for me, I put it all in the garbage. Polyunsaturated fats are oxidizers. They make you old. Olive oil or avocado oil may be best. I'm no expert. But, I choose meat fat. Lots of info out there. It doesn't all agree.

I went on holiday with my wife recently. She wasn't too careful about her diet on her holiday. I tried to stay on the straight and narrow. I had fried food just a couple of times as it was that or nothing. I put on 3 lbs, and she put on 8 lbs. I can also tell you I wasn't feeling as chipper as I had been. The weight was gone from both of us in a couple of days. I can only guess the gain was inflammation.

Did I break my own rule?

Discussing my diet in detail is akin to telling you what oil, tires, and handlebars you should run on your bike. I don't feel the need to go there unless you ask me and I'd prefer that be in private. Do what you believe in and what best works for you. Even doctors and nutritionists don't agree.
Right..last time i will share info voluntarily...Good luck...

hey ! lets at least keep this thread civil ;)

marty my intention with this thread is to provide a source of information to those that are interested in their health and to dispel ignorance and fake advice. I have asked posters to stick strictly to verifiable facts , ie links can be provided to research papers meta analysis etc . ..... Personal experiences are very welcome but anecdotes and old wives tales etc are not

if you don't feel inclined to share your personal diet and health details then thats your choice naturally. :)

i think Max like me was curious to know what you meant by..... 'I went on holiday with my wife recently. I tried to stay on the straight and narrow. I had fried food just a couple of times as it was that or nothing' ?

Are you saying that you would have preferred to avoid fried food ? without stating what you were eating is impossible to know what point you are making here ,I'm sure it would be interesting.

Last edited:
I'm sorry too..I can be overbearing and in your face...like i was on FB ..unintentionally... because i am always overly enthusiastic...and when I saw you were embarking down the same path I made the mistake in thinking you were like minded...I also have made my share of bad or mistaken postings on CH11...so i know there is some bad karma there...it is what it is...

I'm sorry too..I can be overbearing and in your face...like i was on FB ..unintentionally... because i am always overly enthusiastic...and when I saw you were embarking down the same path I made the mistake in thinking you were like minded...I also have made my share of bad or mistaken postings on CH11...so i know there is some bad karma there...it is what it is...
Nope. When I wrote it, there was no reaction intended. I didn't proof read. In this case, I would have been better sending nothing.

For the rest of you, Ben and I have a personal relationship. We have been together on numerous occasions. He's been a guest at my home. We'll see each other at VYR coming up in days. I wouldn't say anything to him here that I wouldn't say to his face. Up close and personal, the interpretation is different. That, and I'm a bit abrupt anyway. So, carry on.

Are you saying that you would have preferred to avoid fried food ? without stating what you were eating is impossible to know what point you are making here ,I'm sure it would be interesting.

Yes, I got distracted while trying to say something, sorry. Yes, I was trying to avoid fried food, because I've chosen to avoid seed oils. I suspect they bother me.

Up close and personal is a completely different animal..based on my poor hearing i tend to shy away from conversations i cant really be a part of...Consequently i really dont know you or anyone else..its like groping in the dark to feel my way ....

Last edited:
No pop at Madmax intended. Sometimes there's a break between brain and fingers, followed by interpretation. Sorry Ben.

ha ha I get that all the time Marty lol :laugh2: good to see you post about your experience anyway :thumbsup:

Yes, I got distracted while trying to say something, sorry. Yes, I was trying to avoid fried food, because I've chosen to avoid seed oils. I suspect they bother me.

Ahhh yes now I understand . I too suffer from a reaction to seed oils . i have had great difficulty in eating fried fish in batter for many years . I now suspect that it may have something to do with my gall bladder .
I thought that you meant you were avoiding fried foods like and sausages and beef burgers because of their fat content.

I thought that you meant you were avoiding fried foods like and sausages and beef burgers because of their fat content.
Nope. There's nothing I like better than a cast iron skillet seasoned with lard. I recently learned that grass fed beef has a much better omega 3, omega 6 ratio than corn fed. It's very easy to get where I live, but harder on my wallet.

One of my favorite teachers on the YouTube is Dr Sten Ekberg. He's very informative and interesting.

Nope. There's nothing I like better than a cast iron skillet seasoned with lard. I recently learned that grass fed beef has a much better omega 3, omega 6 ratio than corn fed. It's very easy to get where I live, but harder on my wallet.

One of my favorite teachers on the YouTube is Dr Sten Ekberg. He's very informative and interesting.

sounds like you are firmly on the right road marty. The idea of force-feeding animals corn to fatten them up is not one I'm happy about, especially as none of these animals would normally eat corn as a natural part of their diet

Back